Gunter to Sunderland?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gunter to Sunderland?

by Hound » 28 Nov 2017 14:05

He's been one of our best players since round about the Leeds game tbh. 7+/10 in every game I've seen

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 28 Nov 2017 14:36

Imagine what a shock it must have been to Gunter on Saturday for him to suddenly discover after many years as a pro that he is actually left footed :) he put in two crosses that topped pretty much anything he’s managed from right back in the past 6 years. Let’s hope he can do it again tonight

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 28 Nov 2017 14:43

OLLIE KEARNS Imagine what a shock it must have been to Gunter on Saturday for him to suddenly discover after many years as a pro that he is actually left footed :) he put in two crosses that topped pretty much anything he’s managed from right back in the past 6 years. Let’s hope he can do it again tonight

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 28 Nov 2017 15:13

Snowflake Royal Just not "these otherwise not great managers played him so he must be". Which is all rather empty.

Firstly I'd like to congratulate you on at least putting together a post with an explanation of your views. Rather than "gunter is sh*t" and that's it as some others seem to do.

Your comment above ... I said that and I've said it before. It's to highlight to those simply posting "he's shit" that manager after manager who are all far more experienced with football than us keep picking him.

You say he's medicocre.

But how many of the past and present also have been mediocre.

Danny Williams
HRK
Danny Guthrie.
Even POG had his critics

There's player after player and I can't think of Many who have stuck around and/or who were great week in and week out.

This is the Championship and I think every club suffers the same. Capable players who win 3-0 one game and lose 0-4 the next.

I think Gunter is better than average. I think there's more to him than just what he does or doesn't do on the pitch. His presence in the changing room and the team for a start.

I think when he does go we will all quickly miss him as we go though replacement after replacement in quick succession. All with FAR LESS determination and enthusiasm.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Nov 2017 16:06

Snowflake Royal I would jizz in my pants in excitement if this were true. But seeing as it's obviously kes bullshit I shall stay disappointed.

Perfect fit for Sunderland's current side though. Utterly overrated and overpaid mediocre player without a winning bone in his body.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Nov 2017 16:57

bobby1413
Snowflake Royal Just not "these otherwise not great managers played him so he must be". Which is all rather empty.

Firstly I'd like to congratulate you on at least putting together a post with an explanation of your views. Rather than "gunter is sh*t" and that's it as some others seem to do.

Your comment above ... I said that and I've said it before. It's to highlight to those simply posting "he's shit" that manager after manager who are all far more experienced with football than us keep picking him.

You say he's medicocre.

But how many of the past and present also have been mediocre.

Danny Williams
HRK
Danny Guthrie.
Even POG had his critics

There's player after player and I can't think of Many who have stuck around and/or who were great week in and week out.

This is the Championship and I think every club suffers the same. Capable players who win 3-0 one game and lose 0-4 the next.

I think Gunter is better than average. I think there's more to him than just what he does or doesn't do on the pitch. His presence in the changing room and the team for a start.

I think when he does go we will all quickly miss him as we go though replacement after replacement in quick succession. All with FAR LESS determination and enthusiasm.

Thank you for sensible post bobster. I fully agree we could do much worse than Gunter. I still don't thing using failed managers as examples is a good idea, even though they've obviously got more knowledge and experience than anyone here, that doesn't mean they're right on everything.

Normally, I'm happy to defer to management who are better placed than any of us on this. I feel I've seen enough over the last 6 years to be disatisfied though.

I don't have a solution. For all we know managers have looked and decided there's simply no better alternative.

And credit where credit is due, he's been much better (good even! ) at left back. And it's not even that he doesn't have ability, obviously he does. He's just so relentlessly insipidly over-cautious and negative.

Also credit where credit is due, he's immense at winning soft freekicks in his defensive third by falling over under minimal contact. Brilliant example against weds on sat.

We'll all just have to agree to differ.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 29 Nov 2017 00:09

We were linked with Yiadom over the summer. He was abysmal tonight. Makes you appreciate Gunter and Bacuna really

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Nov 2017 06:24

maffff We were linked with Yiadom over the summer. He was abysmal tonight. Makes you appreciate Gunter and Bacuna really

Yep. Thought Fryers looked decent though.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Nov 2017 14:23

maffff We were linked with Yiadom over the summer. He was abysmal tonight. Makes you appreciate Gunter and Bacuna really

I was also watching him with interest based on our link in the summer and I have to agree, I would much rather have Gunter/Bacuna in the RB position. Thought Yiadom was poor. To be honest, in this league, there is only one player who I would be happy to get in to replace Gunter and that would be Cyrus Christie, but even then, I don't think he would be a massive step up on our current options.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Nov 2017 15:06

Hendo

I was also watching him with interest based on our link in the summer and I have to agree, I would much rather have Gunter/Bacuna in the RB position. Thought Yiadom was poor. To be honest, in this league, there is only one player who I would be happy to get in to replace Gunter and that would be Cyrus Christie, but even then, I don't think he would be a massive step up on our current options.

I've seen a lot of Cyrus Christie, especially playing for Ireland, and I have my doubts he'd be an improvement. More attack-minded, yes, but also more likely to go walkabout (mentally, physically or both) at crucial moments.

There did seem to be better Championship fullbacks around last season, but they're in the PL now.

Ryan Fredericks maybe?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Nov 2017 15:11

muirinho
Hendo

I've seen a lot of Cyrus Christie, especially playing for Ireland, and I have my doubts he'd be an improvement. More attack-minded, yes, but also more likely to go walkabout (mentally, physically or both) at crucial moments.

There did seem to be better Championship fullbacks around last season, but they're in the PL now.

Ryan Fredericks maybe?

Fair enough, I haven't seen too much of him, only when he had been playing for Derby when they played against us.

Fredericks wouldn't be a bad shout, but again, is he really much of an improvement over Gunter considering potential transfer fee etc...

For the level that we are playing at, Gunter is doing just fine and it isn't worth the outlay of getting in a replacement who may only be marginally better.

We have other areas that need improving before the RB position.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Nov 2017 15:31

Hendo For the level that we are playing at, Gunter is doing just fine and it isn't worth the outlay of getting in a replacement who may only be marginally better.

We have other areas that need improving before the RB position.

Yep, unless we're going all-out and getting a seriously good PL fullback (and I'm talking Seamus Coleman, not Robbie Brady), not worth getting a replacement in. But I guess either Christie/Fredericks would be like-for-like options, if Gunter left us.

Having said that, I just don't think that is in any way likely.

Even if he did want to play for Chris Coleman, realistically, how long will Coleman manage Sunderland for? I know players make noises about wanting to play for such-and-such a manager - but if they're not particularly interested in playing for the club, the move won't happen, regardless of the manager. Because the chances are, they'll be at that club a lot longer than the manager will be.

I could see Coleman wanting him, I can't see Gunts wanting to make the move. He won't leave Reading unless he is sold/contract not renewed, or unless he's out of the first team for an extended period, and can't see a way of getting back in.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Nov 2017 15:55

Obviously hoping Watson fulfils his promise quickly as a right back. In the meantime I honestly don't think Reading can do better than Gunter at this level. We know he's not perfect but then if he was he wouldn't be in the Championship.

Shouldn't mean the club stop looking throughout the world to find someone who improves the options at right back, but then every club should be continually doing that for every position anyway.

In the meantime Chris Gunter could have another 2/3 seasons as a Reading player left yet.....

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 29 Nov 2017 19:51

I have always been impressed with Dominic Iorfa who is currently on loan at Ipswich from Wolves. Think he's an aggressive defender (who I think can play centre back as well) but perhaps lacks a bit of finesse going forward. Could be another cut price, face doesn't fit signing from the Old Golds

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Nov 2017 07:46

Gunter is a very very decent RB at Championship level, very consistant, decent level of performance over his time here.

Possible that part of the problem with him for some fans is the fact that whilst he is a decent Championship RB he is not, IMHO, an option at PL level. However, that's what we bought him for to be our PL RB. He has essentially been our RB through a turbulant few years off the pitch that have often led to indifferent to poor seasons on it.

In the time he's been with us, he came into a woefully underfunded PL team who suffered relegation under an owner with no money. Had a season where we missed out on the play-offs due to a late Brighton winner. Then we were essentially a club just trying to stay afloat due to the ownership issues and poor managerial appointments.

During this time, he has actually been a very solid performer for us, hence why he has been picked. None of our issues have really been caused by having Gunter at RB but he is seen as a symptom of the malaise of the last few years. If he'd joined a year earlier, or even a year or two ago and performed as he has done, I can almost guarantee he wouldn't see the level of stick he gets.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Nov 2017 08:18

Hendo

yeah likewise, was watching Yiadom with interest. He really wasn't very good, Barrow was all over him

As things stand we actually have one of the best RBs I've seen in this division, and it isn't Gunter. Bacuna has been exceptional there.

I'd like to see Bacuna in midfield and Gunter back at RB at some stage, but happy to keep things as they are at the moment