Liam Kelly

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TiagoIlori

Liam Kelly

by TiagoIlori » 01 Dec 2017 01:17

Might still be some teams keen on him and he’s got just over a year left on his deal, seems disinterested. Time to cash in on him? Think we could find a better player for the price we could get for him tbh, thinking about the long term, Swift is the same age and is undoubtedly a level above, Stam seems to be committed to Reading so I don’t see where Kelly fits the way things are going to be honest.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Liam Kelly

by Stranded » 01 Dec 2017 08:04

TiagoIlori Might still be some teams keen on him and he’s got just over a year left on his deal, seems disinterested. Time to cash in on him? Think we could find a better player for the price we could get for him tbh, thinking about the long term, Swift is the same age and is undoubtedly a level above, Stam seems to be committed to Reading so I don’t see where Kelly fits the way things are going to be honest.

:|

Where to start on this:

1, He is just coming back to fitness
2. He signed a new contract in the summer until 2020.
3. Swift and Kelly can play together in the same team successfully.

Even if you think that Swift/Kelly are fighting for one spot, Swift is injured more often than not at the moment, so getting rid of his back up would make no sense.

So yes, there may well be teams interested but we would be expecting a larger fee than most will pay unless the player makes it clear he wants out.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Dec 2017 08:20

I certainly wouldn't sell, but he does seem to be having a bit of a difficult second season

Last year was a huge step up, so its not a great surprise. I'd consider giving him a few games in the U23 to try to find his form tbh

The body language thing was definitely noticeable on Tues, which is a little inexcusable. The walking head down to take the corners in the second half was a little odd

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Dec 2017 08:44

Breakthrough last season and did really well.

Started this season OK but got injured and is now getting back to full fitness.

On top of that expectation on him is now a little bit higher and other clubs have seen what he is about and as a result he is going to find it harder.

This is really all as expected and it's how he deals with it that will now mark him out to be a player with a future at the highest level or just another also ran.

Given he's only just turned 21 and Reading aren't exactly having a brilliant season I think he's doing just fine at the moment. Really could do with him working on the dead ball side of his game as we all know it's a strength and Reading could do with a player who has real consistency in that area.

Sell him? Don't be daft.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 01 Dec 2017 11:15

Stranded
TiagoIlori Might still be some teams keen on him and he’s got just over a year left on his deal, seems disinterested. Time to cash in on him? Think we could find a better player for the price we could get for him tbh, thinking about the long term, Swift is the same age and is undoubtedly a level above, Stam seems to be committed to Reading so I don’t see where Kelly fits the way things are going to be honest.

:|

Where to start on this:

1, He is just coming back to fitness
2. He signed a new contract in the summer until 2020.
3. Swift and Kelly can play together in the same team successfully.

Even if you think that Swift/Kelly are fighting for one spot, Swift is injured more often than not at the moment, so getting rid of his back up would make no sense.

So yes, there may well be teams interested but we would be expecting a larger fee than most will pay unless the player makes it clear he wants out.

Swear his contract in the summer was a one year deal or something but hey ho. I don’t like Swift and Kelly in the same team, it seemed to imbalance our midfield a number of times last season but I guess two young lads in midfield aren’t going to shine immediately. I don’t think we should deliberately try and sell him, but if we get a good bid for him I don’t why we couldn’t get a player more suited to this level that would replace him?

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 01 Dec 2017 22:26

Give me strength :|

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Dec 2017 18:06

Sutekh Breakthrough last season and did really well.

On top of that expectation on him is now a little bit higher and other clubs have seen what he is about and as a result he is going to find it harder.

This is really all as expected and it's how he deals with it that will now mark him out to be a player with a future at the highest level or just another also ran.

Given he's only just turned 21 and Reading aren't exactly having a brilliant season I think he's doing just fine at the moment. Really could do with him working on the dead ball side of his game as we all know it's a strength and Reading could do with a player who has real consistency in that area.

Sell him? Don't be daft.

Plus the entire side started this season shit. More than anyone other type of player, playmakers like Kelly struggle to perform when the rest of the team is in a malaise. Your Barrows, and your Edwards and your McShanes can just get stuck into their game. Kelly needs his team mates to give him options to excel. He's still not been as good and having a bit of a wobble, but he'll improve as we improve.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Dec 2017 00:58

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh Breakthrough last season and did really well.

Sell him? Don't be daft.

Plus the entire side started this season shit. More than anyone other type of player, playmakers like Kelly struggle to perform when the rest of the team is in a malaise. Your Barrows, and your Edwards and your McShanes can just get stuck into their game. Kelly needs his team mates to give him options to excel. He's still not been as good and having a bit of a wobble, but he'll improve as we improve.

Sorry, but that is utter bollocks.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Dec 2017 11:22

Didn't he start the season really well? He just looks low on confidence, needs an arm round the shoulder from Stam, I think.

Sounds like he had a good game up at Sunderland, stats-wise at least

94.6% passing accuracy from 76 passes (although I think half of those were in that 5 minutes where Sunderland did nothing)
6 crosses
3 key passes
1 assist

It's laughable to immediately jump to "LET'S SELL HIM" as soon as he has a few bad games! :roll:

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 04 Dec 2017 16:01

genome Didn't he start the season really well? He just looks low on confidence, needs an arm round the shoulder from Stam, I think.

Not particularly, A penalty against Brentford and 1 against Fulham combined with 2 in the cup made him our top goalscorer, but offered little else. Hasn't had the same impact as last year. No assists in that period either.

genome Sounds like he had a good game up at Sunderland, stats-wise at least

94.6% passing accuracy from 76 passes (although I think half of those were in that 5 minutes where Sunderland did nothing)
6 crosses
3 key passes
1 assist

You would think that with stats like that he was influential throughout. Not really, offered us very little and got out muscled throughout the first half. Second half against 10 men meant he had the time he requires to play the ball (slowly) without being pressed.

His assist was probably the first cross that found a Reading head, all the others hit first man/or over hit. He also had 4 opportunities to shoot, every single one of them was closed down and blocked, because he takes the touche, sets himself, picks his spot then shoots. Sometimes you just need to touch and shoot.

genome It's laughable to immediately jump to "LET'S SELL HIM" as soon as he has a few bad games! :roll:

I don't think we should sell him, but personally think if we had Evans and Swift fully fit he wouldn't be first choice. A loan may do him good as it's almost like he's been found out in the Championship and is struggling to adapt his game style.

Spending far too long on out wide or up top, doesn't come looking for the ball enough which then frustrates the crowd as we go back and forth rather than forward.

All my opinion of course, but just feel Kelly likes a slower paced game than the Championship is.

rfchna

by rfchna » 05 Dec 2017 09:26

I'll start off by saying I think we shouldn't sell Kelly because he still has a lot of potential and on his day is a very good player. I think his recent slump is due to lack of fitness and recovering from injury rather than being disinterested as some have suggested.

Also in terms of contribution to goals he's already got 4 goals 2 assists this season compared to his 1 goal 6 assists last season I'd say he's doing alright overall in that department.

Thinking about it though I can only remember him being truly influential in a handful of games - Bristol City Away last season being an obvious example - and with everyone fully fit I think he probably only makes the bench - a very good option off the bench mind.

However lets not forget that Kelly has only played 1 season at this level so he's still learning and still young so calls for him to be sold are certainly premature. Perhaps a talking to from Stam will help. He just needs to get his head down and work hard - Like Josh Barrett has done this season in the U23's - and with a bit of motivation he'll soon be back to his best I'm sure.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Dec 2017 09:27

Fair points on all fronts, he got a brace against Gillingham though - one of those was a cracker. So 3 goals in the first 3 games, which is a decent start for a midfielder.

I just think he's in bad form, that's all, and it's showing in his body language and attitude - Stam must be aware of it. If he has a good game soon, I think he'll be fine. I don't even think we should loan him out. If he's still struggling towards the end of the season then we can think about it next summer.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Dec 2017 09:12

rather have him than swift tbh

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Dec 2017 17:02

He's been absolutely fine any game I've seen.

Marino13

by Marino13 » 07 Dec 2017 20:13

Maneki Neko rather have him than swift tbh

not off last seasons form. swift scored quite a few vital goals
didn't he? if you took his goals away where would we
have finished in the league?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Dec 2017 20:52

Marino13

No idea.
Pointless to even ask.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Dec 2017 21:02

Presumably the same position, as Swift left Chelsea in 2016

Marino13

by Marino13 » 08 Dec 2017 12:25

Nameless
Marino13

No idea.
Pointless to even ask.

we would have been pointless on numerous
occasions if it wasn't for swifts goals. yes.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 13 Dec 2017 11:18

Marino13

started very well, but form went right off the boil in the 2nd half of th season, and this year he seems to have gone further backwards.

don't get me wrong, id prefer both to be at the club long term. its just that the rosy glow of swifts start here have worn off, for me.

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1