Who could replace Stam?

603 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Who could replace Stam?

by CountryRoyal » 23 Dec 2017 19:13

This team would play better without a manager.

Tommio

by Tommio » 23 Dec 2017 19:47

Bilic, but he won’t come. So probably Paul Clement

pwb

by pwb » 23 Dec 2017 21:42

Gary Monk has come avaliable!

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 23 Dec 2017 21:46

pwb Gary Monk has come avaliable!

What has he achieved?

He's managed 3 clubs and been sacked by all 3 hasn't he?

I'm seriously fed up but not sure changing manger is worth it. It's easy and I'd feel great for a few days until we lost again.

Just stick and give him time I think.

pwb

by pwb » 23 Dec 2017 22:08

Yes I agree, however the owners need to back him in January, if they are not willing to do that, they need to sack him now, which is what Middlesbrough have done with Gary Monk, they have decided not to back him in January, so they have sacked him...

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Dec 2017 23:01

Perservering with the style is the way forward. Going to take time to build the squad to achieve it though. Much depends on bringing youngsters up through the ranks playing the Reading way. Not just academy, but players from lower leagues with potential.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 24 Dec 2017 00:22

Lower West Perservering with the style is the way forward. Going to take time to build the squad to achieve it though. Much depends on bringing youngsters up through the ranks playing the Reading way. Not just academy, but players from lower leagues with potential.

Well that's BT's vision. Stam's done a pretty decent job of delivering on that so far. Most of the people calling for Stam's head have issue with the style of play. Sacking Stam won't change that - there will be another Dutch coach brought in to continue his work.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 24 Dec 2017 10:00

blueroyals
Lower West Perservering with the style is the way forward. Going to take time to build the squad to achieve it though. Much depends on bringing youngsters up through the ranks playing the Reading way. Not just academy, but players from lower leagues with potential.

Well that's BT's vision. Stam's done a pretty decent job of delivering on that so far. Most of the people calling for Stam's head have issue with the style of play. Sacking Stam won't change that - there will be another Dutch coach brought in to continue his work.

If that Dutch coach was to be Bergkamp, Id be happy with that..

ImJappy

by ImJappy » 24 Dec 2017 11:17

DOYLERSAROYALER
blueroyals

If that Dutch coach was to be Bergkamp, Id be happy with that..

Why would you be happy with Bergkamp, he is another manager without any managerial experience, you need Championship experience to do well in this league the vast majority of the time, look a Warnock, Rowett, Hughton etc etc

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Dec 2017 16:00

A duck

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 24 Dec 2017 16:13

bobby1413
pwb Gary Monk has come avaliable!

What has he achieved?

He's managed 3 clubs and been sacked by all 3 hasn't he?

I'm seriously fed up but not sure changing manger is worth it. It's easy and I'd feel great for a few days until we lost again.

Just stick and give him time I think.

What manager has not been sacked by all or most of his clubs? But, I do think we may as well keep Stam to see out this season and see where we are then. If there is no sign of improvement by then, have another look at it. If we change our manager now, we still will not finish in the top six anyway. If we do have to change next summer, at least the payoff will be much reduced.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 24 Dec 2017 16:48

The Royal Forester What manager has not been sacked by all or most of his clubs? But, I do think we may as well keep Stam to see out this season and see where we are then. If there is no sign of improvement by then, have another look at it. If we change our manager now, we still will not finish in the top six anyway. If we do have to change next summer, at least the payoff will be much reduced.

That may be true but often I think people just want a manager changed for the sake of it. And then 6 months later they want a new guy, and another new guy, etc...

Garry Monk's career so far has been:

Swansea: 77 games
Leeds: 53 games
Middlesbrough: 25 games

Jaap Stam has managed us for 79 games, hugely overachieving in an amazing season last year which NO ONE expected.

So you may say "most managers get sacked", but if people are saying they want Jaap Sacked, I want to know who they want to replace him, and what they will bring, and why that's a good idea.

I'm fed up of new managers, and the whole rebuilding of the team, their bedding in period, learning their best 11, and the whole thing that goes with that.

Stick with Jaap Stam. We won't go down this year, we won't go up. Give him some money in January and the summer and a chance.

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 24 Dec 2017 17:18

The manager of either Luton, Notts County or Exeter could do a better job than Stam right now ....

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 24 Dec 2017 17:29

Anybody

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 24 Dec 2017 18:51

In dream world Gary Rowett, who we should have had in the first place.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 24 Dec 2017 19:51

blueroyals

The issue is he's only successfully embedded elements of it. Do we need someone else (Dutch) to build on that base, or retain him? I'm in the keep him camp, but who knows where we'd go if we didn't

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 24 Dec 2017 21:01

My Granny and she's been dead for 30 years. Bring back Burns or Bullivant.....
Parky time for me....

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 24 Dec 2017 21:55

I'd take Carlos Carvahal.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 24 Dec 2017 22:14

percy_freeman My Granny and she's been dead for 30 years. Bring back Burns or Bullivant.....
Parky time for me....
parky is a rtg pipe dream...not good enough (still)

Think that we still have the right manager........he just needs to actually utilise his options.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 24 Dec 2017 23:13

He's already saying he can't see much movement in the January window. I don't think he is entirely to blame, Teverend or whatever his name is is responsible for bringing in players and it's about time we saw some of Die Youngs intent. a goal scorer and a midfield general is all that is missing.

603 posts