Who could replace Stam?

603 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: Who could replace Stam?

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jan 2018 13:15

muirinho
Old Man Andrews
muirinho
Actually there are an abundance of supporters who can make very educated guesses.
FFP is based on turnover. Anybody who is vaguely interested can easily find out how much TV income we get, it's straightforward to make reasonable assumptions on matchday income based on previous years reported Financial Accounts, it's straightforward to make reasonable assumptions on player and staff costs, based on previous years Financial Accounts.

"Educated guesses".

Very educated guesses. Certainly close enough to know whether FFP is likely to be a large consideration when it comes to dumping a manager and choosing a replacement. Not sure what your point is here.

My point is people like you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Jan 2018 13:19

muirinho
Old Man Andrews
Dennis the Butler I did see somewhere that sacking Stam and paying the resulting compo would take us over FFP ? .. in any event I don't see Stam going anywhere of his own accord, even worse, if he keeps us up he could be seen as some sort of saviour and we'll be stuck with him for even longer ..

Nobody would know this without access to our finances. Reading have an abundance of supporters on Twitter who think they are the clubs treasurer. They need hobbies!

Actually there are an abundance of supporters who can make very educated guesses.
FFP is based on turnover. Anybody who is vaguely interested can easily find out how much TV income we get, it's straightforward to make reasonable assumptions on matchday income based on previous years reported Financial Accounts, it's straightforward to make reasonable assumptions on player and staff costs, based on previous years Financial Accounts.

I am sure that clever, creative accountants have found lots of ways to legitimately boost 'revenue' in order to assist with FFP. I suspect these involve a lot more business activities in addition to the obvious ones you mention.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Jan 2018 13:22

RoyalBlue
muirinho
Old Man Andrews
Nobody would know this without access to our finances. Reading have an abundance of supporters on Twitter who think they are the clubs treasurer. They need hobbies!

I am sure that clever, creative accountants have found lots of ways to legitimately boost 'revenue' in order to assist with FFP. I suspect these involve a lot more business activities in addition to the obvious ones you mention.

Ways that would be drastically different to what was reported in the last Financial Report? Really?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jan 2018 13:25

muirinho
RoyalBlue
muirinho

Ways that would be drastically different to what was reported in the last Financial Report? Really?

So you're now claiming to know the business goings on of the owners and how their accountants work?

You've been playing Football Manager a bit too much haven't you?
Last edited by Old Man Andrews on 04 Jan 2018 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Jan 2018 13:51

Old Man Andrews
muirinho
Old Man Andrews
"Educated guesses".

Very educated guesses. Certainly close enough to know whether FFP is likely to be a large consideration when it comes to dumping a manager and choosing a replacement. Not sure what your point is here.

Have you read the Financial Accounts of the club (and other clubs) for the last few years? Do you know anything about FFP?

Even a very casual perusal of the figures, with minimal knowledge, would show how close we are to breaching FFP all of the time.
Having a go at people like me who actually read the accounts, (and understand how accounts work!) doesn't change the numbers in those accounts. Nor does it change FFP rules.

Are we in danger of breaching FFP even without sacking Stam. Yes, yes we are.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you should pretend it isn't true

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 04 Jan 2018 14:04

muirinho
Old Man Andrews
muirinho

Have you read the Financial Accounts of the club (and other clubs) for the last few years? Do you know anything about FFP?

Even a very casual perusal of the figures, with minimal knowledge, would show how close we are to breaching FFP all of the time.
Having a go at people like me who actually read the accounts, (and understand how accounts work!) doesn't change the numbers in those accounts. Nor does it change FFP rules.

Can't we do a QPR and pretend FFP doesn't apply to us? They seem to have got away with breaking the rules.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 04 Jan 2018 14:06

If we can't get Murty, Iver or Bryn, how about Kelly Chambers?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Jan 2018 14:19

The Royal Forester
muirinho
Old Man Andrews

Can't we do a QPR and pretend FFP doesn't apply to us? They seem to have got away with breaking the rules.

Haven't got away with it - what they are now appealing is the size of the fine. It will happen eventually though.

worth noting that with the new regulations, clubs can be fined points as well as money. They can also be demoted from automatic promotion to play offs. Or out of play off positions.

As regards financial jiggery-pokery to try and get through FFP, there's not a lot you can do really. Investing in youth development, the women's side, and infrastructure are all excluded - but unless you want to get done for fraud you can't pretend money spent on the team was actually used to develop Bearwood. You can't get your own companies to sponsor the club and pay over the odds - if the figures look suspicious, the contract will assessed by neutrals, and a "fair market value" figure used instead.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 04 Jan 2018 14:24

The Royal Forester If we can't get Murty, Iver or Bryn, how about Kelly Chambers?

none of the above thanks

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Jan 2018 16:21

Still reckon we'd have a shot at Jokanovic, although lack of money to spend cbap.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Jan 2018 17:00

Pepe the Horseman Still reckon we'd have a shot at Jokanovic, although lack of money to spend cbap.

Would be interested to know - if the choice was - Keep Stam and Liam Moore - or sack Stam, and sell Liam Moore (to get money for incoming manager), how many of our fans would go for sack Stam?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jan 2018 17:45

Old Man Andrews
muirinho
Old Man Andrews
"Educated guesses".

All you have to do is be able to read the most recent accounts. It's pretty easy.

RichTea94

by RichTea94 » 04 Jan 2018 23:50

Bizarre situation at Fulham, with Jokanovic having another open spat with their board. Perhaps if we sack Stam, we could do a reverse Steve Clarke and try and lure him here. He'd get the best out of Aluko at least.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... -transfers

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 05 Jan 2018 03:30

FSB Doing a great job at Barnet.

Gobsheik

by Gobsheik » 05 Jan 2018 04:45

How about Eniola Aluko!!!!! She will have a bit of money to spend in the transfer window and would get the best out of Shone Aluko!!!!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2018 11:57

RichTea94 Bizarre situation at Fulham, with Jokanovic having another open spat with their board. Perhaps if we sack Stam, we could do a reverse Steve Clarke and try and lure him here. He'd get the best out of Aluko at least.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... -transfers

yeah, he would certainly be worth a good look if he was available. Would be my first choice alongside Dean Smith

biff

by biff » 05 Jan 2018 12:30

What about one of B. F. Skinner's pigeons? Quicker to work out consequences of their negative actions than Stam, and a lot cheaper. (cheeper. fnar).

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 06 Jan 2018 18:05

Paul Cook would jump at the chance, bring in a few hair dryers !!

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 06 Jan 2018 21:44

Mark Hughes is available.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 06 Jan 2018 21:46

Don't particularly like him but he would kick some arses!
Our poor pampered players wouldn't know what hit em.

603 posts