Who could replace Stam?

603 posts
Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Marco Silva

by Jagermesiter1871 » 21 Jan 2018 11:43

Zip No thanks. He has failed at both clubs he has managed in England.

..Did he really fail at Watford?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Jan 2018 11:46

He nearly saved a Hull side who were arguably one of the worst in Premier League history and he's had half a season at Watford who are in 10th place.

Hardly failing is it.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Jan 2018 11:53

Rofl I'd bite your arm off for him

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 21 Jan 2018 12:00

Cant see that happening 100%.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Jan 2018 12:07

Old Man Andrews

He nearly saved a Hull side who were arguably one of the worst in Premier League history and he's had half a season at Watford who are in 10th place.

Hardly failing is it.

One win in 11 at Watford............

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Jan 2018 12:11

Lower West
Old Man Andrews

Hardly failing is it.

They are 10th though, not sure when all weighed up he couldn't be called a failure.

From what I have read he's had his head turned by Everton and taken his eye off the ball at Watford which would be a concern and possible justification for the sacking.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 21 Jan 2018 12:37

Old Man Andrews
Lower West
Old Man Andrews

Hardly failing is it.

They are 10th though, not sure when all weighed up he couldn't be called a failure.

From what I have read he's had his head turned by Everton and taken his eye off the ball at Watford which would be a concern and possible justification for the sacking.

Sounds similar to Steve Clarke’s situation with Reading and Fulham.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Who could replace Stam?

by royalp-we » 21 Jan 2018 12:50

Marco Silva would be mad to join us.

I see a far more likely names in this extensive list

https://www.transfermarkt.com/trainer/v ... etrainer/I

Stam won't walk and He won't be sacked yet anyway. He won't want to be filed alongside the likes of Gary Neville, Tony Adams as Sami Hyypia legends of the game but labelled poor managers so soon after jumping in to management.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Jan 2018 13:39

Watford are in free fall. There is a recurring theme with Silva. He started off really well at Hull and then they badly fell away. He did nothing to improve their situation.
He started really well this season too but I think it’s now five points from their last eleven games. They may be tenth but are very much in a relegation battle. If this is success then my name is Yip Yap Stam.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2018 14:39

Oilroyal Micks at the end of his contract at Ipswich. I’ve not seen anything saying he’s signed a renewal so that makes him a free agent. He divides opinion, but he’s grounded, experienced and no nonsense. Personally I think we should forget glamour managers and go back to basics. We’re a Championship Club, not Champions league or Premier league.

I like McCarthy and he's done ok at Ipswich. But I can't help feeling we'd be about 2-3 years late in appointing him and that's he's firmly on his way to retirement, whether voluntary or forced.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 21 Jan 2018 14:54

We could go for that Dutch fellow Frank De Bore .Oh sorry we already have him .

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 21 Jan 2018 16:29

Snowflake Royal
Oilroyal Micks at the end of his contract at Ipswich. I’ve not seen anything saying he’s signed a renewal so that makes him a free agent. He divides opinion, but he’s grounded, experienced and no nonsense. Personally I think we should forget glamour managers and go back to basics. We’re a Championship Club, not Champions league or Premier league.

I like McCarthy and he's done ok at Ipswich. But I can't help feeling we'd be about 2-3 years late in appointing him and that's he's firmly on his way to retirement, whether voluntary or forced.

You could be right Ian, but didn’t someone post on here earlier in the season that they had a chat with McCarthy on a train and he told them he’d love to manage a club with ambitious owners like Reading. Can you image Mick being handed 15 million quid in the summer and where we’d be now. I’m all for the older, wiser experienced warhorses of the Championship turning up to manage us. Colin at 70 still puts in a youthful display at Cardiff and is another who divides opinion, but let’s be honest, both would have this team back on its feet in no time at all and without the added twaddle or repeat play double Dutch

I also read that Mick’s in no rush to renew his contract at Ipswich, leaving options open... he's clearly treading water atm

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 21 Jan 2018 16:34

3points
Old Man Andrews
Lower West

Sounds similar to Steve Clarke’s situation with Reading and Fulham.

Only difference being Watford didn't allow Everton to speak to Silva, and Silva didn't reject them otherwise similar ...

surrounded by saints

by surrounded by saints » 21 Jan 2018 16:35

I agree with the comment about Mick Mc carthy as manager. I think he,s done a pretty fair job wherever he,s been and would probably give our squad the kick up the backside they need. Nigel Clough is another who i think could do well here....seems to be a similar personality to Steve Coppell.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 21 Jan 2018 16:35

Alan Devonshire

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 21 Jan 2018 16:51

Someone to steady the sinking ship, get these players to start earning their wages and give us some chance of a run at promotion next season who knows the league and what it takes....

Pearson

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 21 Jan 2018 16:54

loyalroyal4life Someone to steady the sinking ship, get these players to start earning their wages and give us some chance of a run at promotion next season who knows the league and what it takes....

Pearson

I'm not a Pearson fan, but he prob would do all those things if he weren't too expensive. I think he'd want funds too which we don't have (only an operating loss and a £60m debt) ...

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Jan 2018 19:00

Longhorn1970
loyalroyal4life Someone to steady the sinking ship, get these players to start earning their wages and give us some chance of a run at promotion next season who knows the league and what it takes....

Pearson

I'm not a Pearson fan, but he prob would do all those things if he weren't too expensive. I think he'd want funds too which we don't have (only an operating loss and a £60m debt) ...

Would hope we've got a bit more to offer than OH Leuven.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 21 Jan 2018 19:06

Zip Watford are in free fall. There is a recurring theme with Silva. He started off really well at Hull and then they badly fell away. He did nothing to improve their situation.
He started really well this season too but I think it’s now five points from their last eleven games. They may be tenth but are very much in a relegation battle. If this is success then my name is Yip Yap Stam.

There are reasons for the freefall.
10 players injured or unavailable yesterday and I would guess that their back-up players aren't of the standard of most teams above or below them.
So, if we compare to Stam-he started very well but after finishing 3rd and then spending (relatively) loads of money he has led us towards a relegation battle.
I don't think we could get Silva anyway as he seems to have a good reputationand standing in the game but I would much prefer him to the current incumbent.

One87One

by One87One » 21 Jan 2018 20:44

Nigel Pearson or Craig Shakespeare would do nicely. At least those two are realistic.

Pearson has taken a struggling Leicester, kept them up, and then got them promoted. That is exactly the type of Manager we need. Not another gamble like Stam.

Shakespeare arguably inexperienced but made a big impression at Leicester, and was always going to be pissing in the wind when their expectations grew so unrealistically high.

603 posts