Who could replace Stam?

603 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Theoretical: Sack Stam and replace with ...?

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Oct 2017 18:37

WoodleyRoyal Difficult one to answer, as i reckon we will probably go abroad. However Pardew will obviously be linked, david moyes will be on the list im sure. For me ive wanted glenn hoddle, i think the style of play stam wants to achieve is suited to hoddle.

I will never understand why Glenn Hoddle's name keeps coming up when he hasn't managed a side for over a decade. Talk about totally out of touch.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Oct 2017 18:42

Sam Allardyce

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 Oct 2017 19:05

genome
Hound
Pepe the Horseman Could possibly tempt Jokanovic as he doesn't seem to get on with the Fulham board.

think its all a bit early, but this is the chap I'd go for as well

That'd be hilarious

Fulham fans would be raging into their quinoa

That would make my season if we got him from those whinging bad losing ****s

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Oct 2017 19:57

Obviously this is hypothetical and I want Stam to stay but here is my idea. He looks set to push for qualification but wouldn't mind seeing Micheal O'Neill. Hes done a fantastic job with Norn Iron, was easily the manager of the Euros for me. Probably plays too boring a style to really excite anyone..

Other than that maybe look to Portugal? Marco Silva has shown to be a quality manager and the Portuguese scouting abroad model would be great to see at Reading so maybe we can look a bit further than next door for signings.

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 02 Oct 2017 20:49

I would grudgingly take Pardew back - his direct style is probably what we need to get us up the table at the minute. Though I expect he'd be off at the first sign of interest from a bigger club, the judas oxford.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 02 Oct 2017 22:39

We have rolled out Stams playing style right throughout the academy, so he won't be going anywhere yet.

Although I've always thought Paulo Sousa has unfinished business in this league.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 02 Oct 2017 22:49

Old Man Andrews There is only one logical answer.

Neil Warnock.

Track record of getting unfancied teams promoted, galvanises struggling squads, plays a more direct style that our supporters seem to want and has worked wonders at Cardiff. I know he is a controversial and polorising figure but I think if he's the manager at your club you'll love him.

I have no idea why anyone hates him... I think he is great. But i tend to like the people that rub on other people, probably because I like to see their tears.

For example, this gem:
Caskeys Lovechild And we hate him. Because he's a journeyman, moaning, sourfaced idiot with the tactical nouse of a pineapple and a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.
Anyone who thinks Warnock is a better option than Stam, is almost certainly insane, and should put themselves on the naughty step indefinitely. That is the absolute worst suggestion I have ever heard.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 03 Oct 2017 01:52

We would be mad to sack Stam now! If we do then the last thing we want to replace him is one of the dinosaurs that are Warnock, Redknapp or Allardyce. Hoddle, despite his years out of management, could be the best bet to build on what Stam has started at Reading but we have to stick with Stam surely!? His achievements with us last year have earned him that!

Incidentally, my Fulham-supporting mate (who is annoyed we pinched Aluko from them) watched our Saturday game on Sky and was impressed with both us and Norwich!!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Oct 2017 07:25

NewCorkSeth Obviously this is hypothetical and I want Stam to stay but here is my idea. He looks set to push for qualification but wouldn't mind seeing Micheal O'Neill. Hes done a fantastic job with Norn Iron, was easily the manager of the Euros for me. Probably plays too boring a style to really excite anyone..

Other than that maybe look to Portugal? Marco Silva has shown to be a quality manager and the Portuguese scouting abroad model would be great to see at Reading so maybe we can look a bit further than next door for signings.

This is a good shout. I don't think we could attract him away from a World Cup Campaign but in terms of the "right sort" he definitely fits the bill. Hope he gets a big job after the World Cup should NI make it there.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Oct 2017 08:25

It seems a few people thought we were all right on Saturday from other clubs

I think the issue was it is a culmination of games. If it was a one off on Saturday, you could say we defended quite well except the second goal, and looked tidy. But we know we were just seeing the same failings as we've seen all season and not righting those wrongs

DOn't really see the Pardew love. He hasn't done especially well for a few years and has pretty much shown the same things we are whingeing at Stam about currently - not being able to see obvious flaws and unable to turn round a losing run. And that ridiculous dance at Wembley. Would really rather not

The Michael O'Neill one is interesting - clearly a very very good manager and reckon he would come, but maybe not what we need right now

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 03 Oct 2017 08:52

Steve Coppell (one last Hurrah)
Sam Allardyce (Underrated and always does a job even if it is a bit ugly sometimes)
Jokanovic (for style of play and to upset Fulham)
Ian Holloway (just for the interviews on BBC RB)
Phil Parkinson (See what he can do at a real club with real budgets)
Pardew (If we had to but could judus return?)

In that order
This would be the wishlist but Tbh im happy with Stam, I actually blame the guys behind the scene Tevreden and co for not getting a proper striker in. I think there is a lot of talent in the squad but without the goalscorer/talisman they are a bit stuffed.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 03 Oct 2017 08:53

Lower West Sam Allardyce

+1

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 03 Oct 2017 09:39

linkenholtroyal Steve Coppell (one last Hurrah)

Hi mate - we all do it, so it's ok if you have and I'll let you off...but have you been drinking whiskey this morning? Or have been bumped on the head? Just want to know if there's a reason for you to come on here and post absolute drivel?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Oct 2017 12:53

linkenholtroyal
Lower West Sam Allardyce

+1

Not for me thanks. Would prefer to see the club progress than see any of his nonsense here.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Oct 2017 12:58

Hound It seems a few people thought we were all right on Saturday from other clubs

I think the issue was it is a culmination of games. If it was a one off on Saturday, you could say we defended quite well except the second goal, and looked tidy. But we know we were just seeing the same failings as we've seen all season and not righting those wrongs

DOn't really see the Pardew love. He hasn't done especially well for a few years and has pretty much shown the same things we are whingeing at Stam about currently - not being able to see obvious flaws and unable to turn round a losing run. And that ridiculous dance at Wembley. Would really rather not

The Michael O'Neill one is interesting - clearly a very very good manager and reckon he would come, but maybe not what we need right now

I could see Michael O'Neill having a Tony Pulis style rise if given a championship job. Get a team promoted and keep them there, below the radar.
Obviously it would take a lot of faith for a club to stick by him and I don't think most owners have that faith anymore.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Oct 2017 13:06

Think we should renew our "interest" in Luis Enrique :lol:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Oct 2017 13:08

muirinho
Sutekh
Mark McGhee might be available once Scotland fail to qualify for the World Cup though.

That's a shout.

Further down the line, but sticking with international managers, do you think Chris Coleman would be in big demand when he finishes up with Wales? Dunno about his scouting skills, but he surely can get a team to believe in themselves, and play for each other.

He knows how to get the best out of Gunter if nothing else

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Oct 2017 13:11

Snowflake Royal
WoodleyRoyal Difficult one to answer, as i reckon we will probably go abroad. However Pardew will obviously be linked, david moyes will be on the list im sure. For me ive wanted glenn hoddle, i think the style of play stam wants to achieve is suited to hoddle.

I will never understand why Glenn Hoddle's name keeps coming up when he hasn't managed a side for over a decade. Talk about totally out of touch.

I'm with you on this and not only that but he's a piss poor commentator (and he's weird)

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 03 Oct 2017 14:56

Sutekh
muirinho
Old Man Andrews There is only one logical answer.

Neil Warnock.

Track record of getting unfancied teams promoted, galvanises struggling squads, plays a more direct style that our supporters seem to want and has worked wonders at Cardiff. I know he is a controversial and polorising figure but I think if he's the manager at your club you'll love him.

No, I won't. I cannot stand him, and it doesn't matter who he's managing - my feelings would be the same.
I'd still support the team, but would rather stick hot needles in my eyes than sing "Neil Warnock's barmy army"

Apart from Paulo di Canio I'm struggling to think of a manager I'd like less. There's a reason his nickname is Colin.

Luckily Colin is employed elsewhere and doing well so this issue will not arise (love to read his autobiography if he ever does one though)

Mark McGhee might be available once Scotland fail to qualify for the World Cup though.

Roll back the years! Could fans forgive him though?

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 03 Oct 2017 15:09

John Smith
linkenholtroyal Steve Coppell (one last Hurrah)

Hi mate - we all do it, so it's ok if you have and I'll let you off...but have you been drinking whiskey this morning? Or have been bumped on the head? Just want to know if there's a reason for you to come on here and post absolute drivel?

Sorry in bleak times I pick up the whisky and dream of 2005/6 and Steve stood shouting on a group of Forwards that know where the goal is.
I also get drunk and shout at pigeons to if you fancy watching that aswell.

603 posts