Who could replace Stam?

603 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: Who could replace Stam?

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Feb 2018 12:14

ILoveMoonPig I'm still pro Stam. I recon hell turn this around at Forrest. But let's say he were to leave, now that's a toughie.

In an ideal world, you'd get someone like Roberto Martinez. How long did he keep a struggling Wigan side in the premiership? He knows how to fight relegation. I actually thought they played nice football too and when we played Everton in that cup game.

Sadly though, I think we'd need to settle for someone with a lower profile.

As long as it's not just some journey man, I'll be happy. I'd even take Warnock, just because of his history with the club. I would want someone with a point to prove and real desire to achieve, not some manager who bounces from championship team to championship team.

One of the worst posts I have ever seen here so well done.

You wouldn't want a journeyman yet would take Neil Warnock who is the ultimate journeyman and has had more clubs than a seal during Canadian seal hunting season.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Feb 2018 12:45

Old Man Andrews
ILoveMoonPig I'm still pro Stam. I recon hell turn this around at Forrest. But let's say he were to leave, now that's a toughie.

In an ideal world, you'd get someone like Roberto Martinez. How long did he keep a struggling Wigan side in the premiership? He knows how to fight relegation. I actually thought they played nice football too and when we played Everton in that cup game.

Sadly though, I think we'd need to settle for someone with a lower profile.

As long as it's not just some journey man, I'll be happy. I'd even take Warnock, just because of his history with the club. I would want someone with a point to prove and real desire to achieve, not some manager who bounces from championship team to championship team.

One of the worst posts I have ever seen here so well done.

You wouldn't want a journeyman yet would take Neil Warnock who is the ultimate journeyman and has had more clubs than a seal during Canadian seal hunting season.

Also, Roberto Martinez? The current manager of 6th favouirtes for the World Cup, Belgium? - LOL. I think we only just might have to settle for someone with a lower profile. :roll:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Feb 2018 14:15

looks like Pards may be available again soon :wink:

from the earlier discussion, only Popa looks like one that Stam genuinely didn't fancy. Always looked a bit of an opportunist signing - end of contract, international who may or may not come good.

Wieser and big Danzell were two cheap punts which didn't come off - no real issue with them tbh. What is slightly scary in retrospect that Danzell even made the bench in the POs

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 19 Feb 2018 22:34

Well, Wigan 1 - 0 Man City , i guess Paul Cooks resume just got a little tastier. Those Wigan players gave it their all and defended magnificently....now those players were playing for there manager and giving it their all, but i guess Paul Cook will not want to come to Reading lol.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 19 Feb 2018 23:15

Crowbar6753 Well, Wigan 1 - 0 Man City , i guess Paul Cooks resume just got a little tastier. Those Wigan players gave it their all and defended magnificently....now those players were playing for there manager and giving it their all, but i guess Paul Cook will not want to come to Reading lol.

That's what a properly motivated team, with a clear plan, playing for their manager, their own pride and their club, looks like in my experience! Not very similar to our team's efforts really!

Born Again Royalist

by Born Again Royalist » 19 Feb 2018 23:55

Wigan 1 Man City 0 Further proof that possession football does not work

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 20 Feb 2018 00:09

Proof :lol:

Have you looked at the PL table. It may not have worked tonight with their 10 men; but City are one of the best teams in the world right now.

Fair play to Wigan. That's the magic of the cup.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Feb 2018 07:39

Fair play to Wigan

Daily Star reporting Stam will be sacked if we lose tonight. Based on what exactly I’m not sure

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Feb 2018 08:04

Hound Fair play to Wigan

Daily Star reporting Stam will be sacked if we lose tonight. Based on what exactly I’m not sure

I don't think a club pay for a 4 day training camp in Spain only to sack the manager the following week, doesn't add up at all and I don't buy it. I think we are stuck with Stam regardless of what happens tonight, Saturday or next month.

double d

by double d » 20 Feb 2018 08:14

Hound Fair play to Wigan

Wont make any sense or difference to do it now. May aswell see it out. I m still hoping we lose and go down to league 1 to tick off some new grounds and win my big bet

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Feb 2018 08:53

Old Man Andrews
Hound Fair play to Wigan

I don't think a club pay for a 4 day training camp in Spain only to sack the manager the following week, doesn't add up at all and I don't buy it. I think we are stuck with Stam regardless of what happens tonight, Saturday or next month.

No I don't either - I think he will get the next 6 games we have in the next 2 weeks or so, and see where that leads us.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 20 Feb 2018 13:24

Just been sent this by a Rangers supporting colleague:

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/if-reading-came-for-murty.20111/

Nothing new here, no rumours or anything like that, just some Rangers fans specul8ing about what might happen if we came in for Murty, with some "interesting" comparisons of the two clubs.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Feb 2018 13:29

Brum Royal Just been sent this by a Rangers supporting colleague:

Nothing new here, no rumours or anything like that, just some Rangers fans specul8ing about what might happen if we came in for Murty, with some "interesting" comparisons of the two clubs.

Can't ever see the manager of Rangers entertaining someone like Reading.

Rangers - Reading he would be a laughing stock and labled as a bottler for the rest of his career

lol

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 20 Feb 2018 14:14

The way paul cook plays and the success he has had with all of his clubs would have been ideal for us just before Christmas. He won't leave now though obviously with both clubs likely to pass eachother in the summer.

Tight defence, organised and clinical going forward. Exactly what out previous successes have been based on.

Lose our next too and I really don't see how his position can be tenable with Reading. I still think a short term appointment would get enough of a tune out if this side to keep us up.

The training camp wasn't necessarily just for Stam either, it was to give the players a change of environment and for them to spend the week together. If anything, if we continue to lose, it might be seen as a last throw of the dice that just hasn't worked for Stam.

All I know is that I won't be going next season if he's still here. Even if we do stay up.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 20 Feb 2018 14:44

Uwe Rosler has just been sacked...reckon he could do a decent job?

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 20 Feb 2018 14:47

John Smith Uwe Rosler has just been sacked...reckon he could do a decent job?

Good grief. :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Feb 2018 18:38

Hound Fair play to Wigan

Makes sense to be fair.

I think beating Burton saved him from the chop earlier, but losing to Millwall and then Forest without getting another point and if he isn't sacked, then he simply won't be before the season ends.

I've said for quite a while that things hadn't been quite bad enough for the club to pull the trigger but that the last month has seen us enter the zone where it'd happen if it was going to.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Feb 2018 11:38

Pepe the Horseman
Brum Royal Just been sent this by a Rangers supporting colleague:

Can't ever see the manager of Rangers entertaining someone like Reading.

Rangers - Reading he would be a laughing stock and labled as a bottler for the rest of his career

lol

The one saying they were the biggest club in Scotland made me chuckle and saying that they doubt Reading would be playing European football every year :roll: TNS play European football every year as well :roll:

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 21 Feb 2018 12:15

Born Again Royalist Wigan 1 Man City 0 Further proof that possession football does not work

+1

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Feb 2018 12:24

Longhorn1970
Born Again Royalist Wigan 1 Man City 0 Further proof that possession football does not work

+1

They really seem to be struggling with it in the league and in Europe this season.

603 posts