Who could replace Stam?

603 posts
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Theoretical: Sack Stam and replace with ...?

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Jan 2018 21:04

Brynjar

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2018 21:07

paultheroyal
RichTea94 I was all for Pearson when we sacked McDermot in 2016 before Stam was appointed. Pearson went to Derby and I thought they would be dangerous.

But his spell at Derby was an absolute shambles, so I'd be very wary of getting him in now.

Club chairman getting involved with the team, Pearson hot headed reacts = game over hence only 4 month stay. Call it a blip.

I'm not sure you can call Pearson's hot-headedness a blip judging by some of his antics at Leicester.

double d

by double d » 03 Jan 2018 21:09

I think Glen Little would make a good manager. Or Bryn and Ivar double team.

TiagoIlori

Re: Who could replace Stam?

by TiagoIlori » 03 Jan 2018 21:40

People need to be realistic and unfortunately we are no longer an attractive club that we all seem to think we are. Michael O’Neill has been suggested but I don’t think he’d come anymore, I think we need a dinosaur to keep us up until the end of the season then go for a interesting appointment from abroad

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 Jan 2018 22:57

TiagoIlori People need to be realistic and unfortunately we are no longer an attractive club that we all seem to think we are. Michael O’Neill has been suggested but I don’t think he’d come anymore, I think we need a dinosaur to keep us up until the end of the season then go for a interesting appointment from abroad

Sacking Stam will cost money. Getting in a dinosaur in will cost serious money. AND they will want a fistful of dinosaur-friendly players, which will cost money.

Given FFP regulations are based on turnover, and the way attendances have been falling, even if the owners wanted to throw good money after bad, they wouldn't be able to, without breaching FFP. At least not without flogging every decent player we've got.

Any manager coming in would be told to make do with the players we already have. Can't think too many would be that keen. Not a big club, no new players, short-term contract. Would you?

I think they'll gamble that Stam will keep us up, and then see where in the summer.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 04 Jan 2018 00:13

Who could replace him? No-one. He is irreplaceable.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 04 Jan 2018 00:50

muirinho
TiagoIlori People need to be realistic and unfortunately we are no longer an attractive club that we all seem to think we are. Michael O’Neill has been suggested but I don’t think he’d come anymore, I think we need a dinosaur to keep us up until the end of the season then go for a interesting appointment from abroad

Sacking Stam will cost money. Getting in a dinosaur in will cost serious money. AND they will want a fistful of dinosaur-friendly players, which will cost money.

Given FFP regulations are based on turnover, and the way attendances have been falling, even if the owners wanted to throw good money after bad, they wouldn't be able to, without breaching FFP. At least not without flogging every decent player we've got.

Any manager coming in would be told to make do with the players we already have. Can't think too many would be that keen. Not a big club, no new players, short-term contract. Would you?

I think they'll gamble that Stam will keep us up, and then see where in the summer.

Plenty of experienced managers would be ok with it considering we still have plenty of room for loanees and there has to be money to spend once Liam Moore leaves, I don’t know whether it’d be wise to make a long term appointment mid season I mean some managers need the summer to make it work!

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 04 Jan 2018 00:50

double d I think Glen Little would make a good manager. Or Bryn and Ivar double team.

A Brynjar and Ivar duo would be unreal, wouldnt even care if they took us to League 1

Royal Bahamas

by Royal Bahamas » 04 Jan 2018 01:19

BRIAN!!!!

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 04 Jan 2018 01:40

AthleticoSpizz Brynjar Gunnarsson.....knows every position (bar goalie)

Wow totally forgot Bryn and i do believe he's in management in Scandinavia.....still wet myself over that nutmeg and amazing cross for Sean Long :D
The guy is a Reading legend and would stir up excitement just because he's Bryn

I'm in on this one lol

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 04 Jan 2018 01:44

Rea Ding
double d I think Glen Little would make a good manager. Or Bryn and Ivar double team.

A Brynjar and Ivar duo would be unreal, wouldnt even care if they took us to League 1

Who cares, even league two, imagine playing the good old derby games away at Oxford, Swindon, Aldershot and Brizzle Rovers with these two in charge..... now that what i call entertainment and fun with none of this turgid crap on fare now lol.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jan 2018 08:51

If we go down and Stam gets sacked, and Murty doesn't have his Rangers contract renewed - get him in.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Jan 2018 09:08

Longhorn1970
John Smith
trueroyal1871 Nigel Pearson wouldn't cost much, currently managing in the Belgian second division (Oud-Heverlee Leuven owned by his former Leicester employers). He knows the league well and more importantly how to get out of it.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

I believe he was interviewed before and is very expensive plus he wants funds to bring in decent players

I find that strange when he's currently managing in the Belgian second tier.

A lot of people on here aren't giving us enough credit for the size and stature of club we are.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Jan 2018 11:41

Crowbar6753
AthleticoSpizz Brynjar Gunnarsson.....knows every position (bar goalie)

Wow totally forgot Bryn and i do believe he's in management in Scandinavia.....still wet myself over that nutmeg and amazing cross for Sean Long :D
The guy is a Reading legend and would stir up excitement just because he's Bryn

I'm in on this one lol

Good old Sean Long.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 04 Jan 2018 11:57

Give Parky a go

At least he'd have some passion about the club

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 04 Jan 2018 12:35

I did see somewhere that sacking Stam and paying the resulting compo would take us over FFP ? .. in any event I don't see Stam going anywhere of his own accord, even worse, if he keeps us up he could be seen as some sort of saviour and we'll be stuck with him for even longer ..

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jan 2018 12:38

Dennis the Butler I did see somewhere that sacking Stam and paying the resulting compo would take us over FFP ? .. in any event I don't see Stam going anywhere of his own accord, even worse, if he keeps us up he could be seen as some sort of saviour and we'll be stuck with him for even longer ..

Nobody would know this without access to our finances. Reading have an abundance of supporters on Twitter who think they are the clubs treasurer. They need hobbies!

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Jan 2018 13:01

Old Man Andrews
Dennis the Butler I did see somewhere that sacking Stam and paying the resulting compo would take us over FFP ? .. in any event I don't see Stam going anywhere of his own accord, even worse, if he keeps us up he could be seen as some sort of saviour and we'll be stuck with him for even longer ..

Nobody would know this without access to our finances. Reading have an abundance of supporters on Twitter who think they are the clubs treasurer. They need hobbies!

Actually there are an abundance of supporters who can make very educated guesses.
FFP is based on turnover. Anybody who is vaguely interested can easily find out how much TV income we get, it's straightforward to make reasonable assumptions on matchday income based on previous years reported Financial Accounts, it's straightforward to make reasonable assumptions on player and staff costs, based on previous years Financial Accounts.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jan 2018 13:11

muirinho
Old Man Andrews

Actually there are an abundance of supporters who can make very educated guesses.
FFP is based on turnover. Anybody who is vaguely interested can easily find out how much TV income we get, it's straightforward to make reasonable assumptions on matchday income based on previous years reported Financial Accounts, it's straightforward to make reasonable assumptions on player and staff costs, based on previous years Financial Accounts.

"Educated guesses".

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Jan 2018 13:13

Old Man Andrews
muirinho
Old Man Andrews

"Educated guesses".

Very educated guesses. Certainly close enough to know whether FFP is likely to be a large consideration when it comes to dumping a manager and choosing a replacement. Not sure what your point is here.

603 posts