Who could replace Stam?

603 posts
Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Theoretical: Sack Stam and replace with ...?

by Brum Royal » 02 Oct 2017 12:05

I see various comments on here from people saying Stam out. Fair enough, it's not one I agree with but you're entitled to that opinion. But what I also see from the "Stam out" brigade is no replacement suggested.

So, the question is, for those of you who want Stam out, who (realistically) do you replace him with? Birmingham have just brought in Steve Cotterill, which to me shows the paucity of options available currently.
Last edited by Brum Royal on 02 Oct 2017 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Re: Theoretical: Sack Stam and replace with ...?

by WoodleyRoyal » 02 Oct 2017 12:19

Difficult one to answer, as i reckon we will probably go abroad. However Pardew will obviously be linked, david moyes will be on the list im sure. For me ive wanted glenn hoddle, i think the style of play stam wants to achieve is suited to hoddle.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 Oct 2017 13:02

I like hypothetical scenarios.
I m prepared to forgive Pardew. He could still do a job. I think there's a few good options available.....preferably British. I think foreign managers are a bigger gamble in the Championship.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Oct 2017 13:32

Pardew. But I expect we'd go for another foreign punt.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Oct 2017 13:35

Could possibly tempt Jokanovic as he doesn't seem to get on with the Fulham board.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Oct 2017 13:35

There is only one logical answer.

Neil Warnock.

Track record of getting unfancied teams promoted, galvanises struggling squads, plays a more direct style that our supporters seem to want and has worked wonders at Cardiff. I know he is a controversial and polorising figure but I think if he's the manager at your club you'll love him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Oct 2017 13:37

Pepe the Horseman Could possibly tempt Jokanovic as he doesn't seem to get on with the Fulham board.

think its all a bit early, but this is the chap I'd go for as well

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Oct 2017 13:50

Otto Pfister.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 02 Oct 2017 14:44

Old Man Andrews There is only one logical answer.

Neil Warnock.

Track record of getting unfancied teams promoted, galvanises struggling squads, plays a more direct style that our supporters seem to want and has worked wonders at Cardiff. I know he is a controversial and polorising figure but I think if he's the manager at your club you'll love him.

Warnock hates us. Don't think he'd come here.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Oct 2017 14:52

Hound
Pepe the Horseman Could possibly tempt Jokanovic as he doesn't seem to get on with the Fulham board.

think its all a bit early, but this is the chap I'd go for as well

That'd be hilarious

Fulham fans would be raging into their quinoa

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 02 Oct 2017 14:56

Tilehurstsouthbank

Neil Warnock.

And we hate him. Because he's a journeyman, moaning, sourfaced idiot with the tactical nouse of a pineapple and a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.
Anyone who thinks Warnock is a better option than Stam, is almost certainly insane, and should put themselves on the naughty step indefinitely. That is the absolute worst suggestion I have ever heard.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Oct 2017 14:56

Tilehurstsouthbank

Neil Warnock.

He probably hated Cardiff before going there too. He's had more clubs than Tiger Woods, I think his history with us would actually be a draw to him. Cannot see our supporters liking it though, like you say there is bad blood there. I would argue that results mean more than a bit of needle though.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Oct 2017 14:58

Caskeys Lovechild
Tilehurstsouthbank

Neil Warnock.

And we hate him. Because he's a journeyman, moaning, sourfaced idiot with the tactical nouse of a pineapple and a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.
Anyone who thinks Warnock is a better option than Stam, is almost certainly insane, and should put themselves on the naughty step indefinitely. That is the absolute worst suggestion I have ever heard.

But has a proven track record of getting teams promoted and improving them. Do your research.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 02 Oct 2017 15:17

Caskeys Lovechild
Tilehurstsouthbank

Neil Warnock.

Wholeheartedly agree mate. Wasn't my suggestion initially. ;)

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 02 Oct 2017 15:23

Neil Warnock.

No, I won't. I cannot stand him, and it doesn't matter who he's managing - my feelings would be the same.
I'd still support the team, but would rather stick hot needles in my eyes than sing "Neil Warnock's barmy army"

Apart from Paulo di Canio I'm struggling to think of a manager I'd like less. There's a reason his nickname is Colin.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Oct 2017 16:24

Was our Ron at Chelsea the same time as Ancelotti? :?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Oct 2017 16:27

Nigel Pearson was wanted by many of us one time but we got Brian again.

Should have gone for Chris Hughton when Adkins was tin-tacked but tried to be clever/cheap/didn't think about it properly

Currently I would put Alan Pardew at the top of my list but then there's also a lot to be said someone of the ilk of Chris Wilder. If it does come down to it though I expect the club will try for the unrealistic and then fall back to some "unknown" name from Holland or Portugal or Germany

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Oct 2017 16:29

muirinho

Neil Warnock.

No, I won't. I cannot stand him, and it doesn't matter who he's managing - my feelings would be the same.
I'd still support the team, but would rather stick hot needles in my eyes than sing "Neil Warnock's barmy army"

Apart from Paulo di Canio I'm struggling to think of a manager I'd like less. There's a reason his nickname is Colin.

Luckily Colin is employed elsewhere and doing well so this issue will not arise (love to read his autobiography if he ever does one though)

Mark McGhee might be available once Scotland fail to qualify for the World Cup though.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 02 Oct 2017 16:45

Sutekh
Mark McGhee might be available once Scotland fail to qualify for the World Cup though.

That's a shout.

Further down the line, but sticking with international managers, do you think Chris Coleman would be in big demand when he finishes up with Wales? Dunno about his scouting skills, but he surely can get a team to believe in themselves, and play for each other.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Oct 2017 16:46

Who makes the call these days on which manager to employ? - In the past it was Nicky Hammond, Nigel Howe and John Madejski who identified targets and made the decision.

I can't imagine any of them choosing someone like Neil Warnock or Harry Redknapp as they don't operate in the Reading way but since we seem to have abandoned the Reading way of playing and operating who knows?

603 posts