Who could replace Stam?

603 posts
Awayawayaway

Re: Who could replace Stam?

by Awayawayaway » 26 Feb 2018 19:45

Some papers reporting that we're after Mick McCarthy.

Not ideal but anyone but Stam. Always done a decent job and is working on a tiny budget at Ipswich.

SouthernExile

by SouthernExile » 26 Feb 2018 20:07

Graham Murty should replace Stam.

That is all.

double d

by double d » 26 Feb 2018 20:10

Awayawayaway Some papers reporting that we're after Mick McCarthy.

Not ideal but anyone but Stam. Always done a decent job and is working on a tiny budget at Ipswich.

That would be a massive step back for me. He hasn't done anything good In management for about ten years and has never had an exciting team in football.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Feb 2018 20:17

SouthernExile Graham Murty should replace Stam.

That is all.

Can you at least spell his name right?

SouthernExile

by SouthernExile » 26 Feb 2018 20:18

tidus_mi2
SouthernExile Graham Murty should replace Stam.

That is all.

Can you at least spell his name right?

evidently not.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 26 Feb 2018 22:09

double d
Awayawayaway Some papers reporting that we're after Mick McCarthy.

That would be a massive step back for me. He hasn't done anything good In management for about ten years and has never had an exciting team in football.

Can't agree with that.

He took Wolves up as champions and enjoyed some seasons in the Premier League until their owner had an absolute wobbler. He's also done an extremely good job at Ipswich with one of the smallest budgets in the division (one playoff campaign and regular top half finishes).

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 01 Mar 2018 08:59

I've been mulling this over and some internal candidates could work.

My suggestion would be someone who already took us close last season with his goals, namely Yann Kermorgant.

He's got a wide experience of different footballing cultures and styles, has the right kind of leadership qualities and seems self aware, ie he was already planning his post football career.

Probably not a long term appointment, but a respected leader to ensure safety....

Obvs, I doubt he would want the poison chalice that this role has become.

So, Yann, sauvez nous!

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 01 Mar 2018 10:04

Linden Jones' Tash I've been mulling this over and some internal candidates could work.

My suggestion would be someone who already took us close last season with his goals, namely Yann Kermorgant.

He's got a wide experience of different footballing cultures and styles, has the right kind of leadership qualities and seems self aware, ie he was already planning his post football career.

Probably not a long term appointment, but a respected leader to ensure safety....

So, Yann, sauvez nous!

Possibly the worst one yet.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 01 Mar 2018 10:51

John Smith
Linden Jones' Tash I've been mulling this over and some internal candidates could work.

So, Yann, sauvez nous!

I think at this stage some people are taking the piss. Or trying to demonstrate that Stam should stay on because the alternatives are so much worse.

Yann? At least pick somebody with some coaching badges/experience! A random Under 8 coach from a local club would make more sense.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 01 Mar 2018 14:42

muirinho
John Smith

So, Yann, sauvez nous!

I think at this stage some people are taking the piss. Or trying to demonstrate that Stam should stay on because the alternatives are so much worse.

Yann? At least pick somebody with some coaching badges/experience! A random Under 8 coach from a local club would make more sense.

I don't disagree that "A random Under 8 coach from a local club" would probably be as out of their depth as Stam currently is.

My 5 pence worth is that this group of players is probably the most talented group of individuals we've ever had - but one of the worst teams (at the level their are playing).

Given the short term objective of securing Championship status, a respected leader is probably more helpful than a coach with badges/experience. Any victories we get will come from overcoming the lack of confidence and re-energising the group to play as a team.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 01 Mar 2018 16:07

Just seen a Tweet from Tim Dellor that's since been deleted in the space of about 2 minutes revealing that Ron Atkinson is lined up to replace Stam and was seen entering the Madejski staff entrance today.

I imagine they picked today cos of the weather etc. hoping no one would be around to lift the lid on the big news and they could do their business in secret.

Anyway, surprised? Yes. Happy? Delighted!

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 01 Mar 2018 18:31

Owen Coyle has just resigned from Ross county.

Would take him.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 02 Mar 2018 08:38

Basingstoke Royal Owen Coyle has just resigned from Ross county.

Would take him.

Knows how to get promoted from the first division through the playoffs...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Mar 2018 10:09

So, Yann, sauvez nous!

Moron.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Mar 2018 14:29

Poisoned chalice? Lol.

One bad season does not make this job a poisoned chalice.

Also, it certainly worked for Newcastle when they appointed Alan Sheerer :?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 02 Mar 2018 14:35

Hendo Poisoned chalice? Lol.

This. It's a very attractive job.

Mid size club with potential to grow. Financially backed by it's current owners. Well regarded Academy. Infrastructure ( new training ground etc). Times are currently tough but just because Stam, BT and the players have made a pigs ear of this season doesn't make it a poisoned chalice in any way shape or form.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Mar 2018 14:37

Well, quite. But don't spoil the narrative. :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Mar 2018 19:07

Vision

Mid size club with potential to grow. Financially backed by it's current owners. Well regarded Academy. Infrastructure ( new training ground etc). Times are currently tough but just because Stam, BT and the players have made a pigs ear of this season doesn't make it a poisoned chalice in any way shape or form.

Yep. And if people are still willing to take the Leeds job then we're certainly not going to struggle to recruit. Now THAT is a poison chalice. Mental owners who sack at the drop of a hat, a history and fanbase that expects to be firmly mid-table in the PL but can't get out of the Championship. Players who can't control themselves at all.

double d

by double d » 02 Mar 2018 19:24

Snowflake Royal
Vision

Yep. And if people are still willing to take the Leeds job then we're certainly not going to struggle to recruit. Now THAT is a poison chalice. Mental owners who sack at the drop of a hat, a history and fanbase that expects to be firmly mid-table in the PL but can't get out of the Championship. Players who can't control themselves at all.

Yet they have been on sky 11 times this season!!!!!

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 02 Mar 2018 20:03

If we lose tomorrow (probably a given), do not win on Tues and have a poor result next Sat the owners will act as there is then a 2 week break.

I reckon we could go for a short term fix until the end of the season to keep us up and then look at it in the summer.

Hate to say it but Redkanpp may fit the bill? Lives locally and does have a track record for man management and short term fixes - and he wouldn't be able to bankrupt the club by signing numerous has beens on big wages...

603 posts