Who could replace Stam?

603 posts
WAZZOCK

Re: Who could replace Stam?

by WAZZOCK » 21 Jan 2018 21:43

One87One Nigel Pearson or Craig Shakespeare would do nicely. At least those two are realistic.

Pearson has taken a struggling Leicester, kept them up, and then got them promoted. That is exactly the type of Manager we need. Not another gamble like Stam.

Shakespeare arguably inexperienced but made a big impression at Leicester, and was always going to be pissing in the wind when their expectations grew so unrealistically high.

Two awful suggestions here, and hardly realistic whatsoever.

Pearson is an absolute headcase, and not what we would need in a period of instability.

Shakespeare would never leave his role at Everton so soon after starting it.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 22 Jan 2018 17:38

surrounded by saints I agree with the comment about Mick Mc carthy as manager. I think he,s done a pretty fair job wherever he,s been and would probably give our squad the kick up the backside they need.
Nigel Clough is another who i think could do well here....seems to be a similar personality to Steve Coppell.
would get my vote

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Theoretical: Sack Stam and replace with ...?

by Mid Sussex Royal » 22 Jan 2018 18:16

Sutekh Nigel Pearson was wanted by many of us one time but we got Brian again.

Should have gone for Chris Hughton when Adkins was tin-tacked but tried to be clever/cheap/didn't think about it properly

Currently I would put Alan Pardew at the top of my list but then there's also a lot to be said someone of the ilk of Chris Wilder. If it does come down to it though I expect the club will try for the unrealistic and then fall back to some "unknown" name from Holland or Portugal or Germany

Hughton could be available in a couple of weeks - word down here is he is out if BHA lose their next game at Southampton

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Theoretical: Sack Stam and replace with ...?

by Oilroyal » 22 Jan 2018 18:36

Mid Sussex Royal
Sutekh Nigel Pearson was wanted by many of us one time but we got Brian again.

Should have gone for Chris Hughton when Adkins was tin-tacked but tried to be clever/cheap/didn't think about it properly

Currently I would put Alan Pardew at the top of my list but then there's also a lot to be said someone of the ilk of Chris Wilder. If it does come down to it though I expect the club will try for the unrealistic and then fall back to some "unknown" name from Holland or Portugal or Germany

Hughton could be available in a couple of weeks - word down here is he is out if BHA lose their next game at Southampton

Really?
Would be surprised considering the level of investment BHA would need to make to stay in the prem and having followed them closely watching them invest wisely on in-coming players whilst protecting on field assets by offering extended terms, pre-empting a return to the Champ, I’d say they plan to yoyo between Champ and Prem over the next few seasons aided by parachute money.

Even if their fans who let's be honest expect their team to be competing in the top 6 see things differently. Can’t see Hughton going anywhere, anytime soon.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 Jan 2018 21:16

Isn’t the Norwich manager looking down the barrel? Hughton could go back there?

I think all the while we’ve got this lot upstairs we’d end up with someone who wants to play this system, so an unknown from Europe a la Sheff Weds. That’s why I’m not ready to see Stam leave yet. If we can stay up then what’s the point in sacking him because it’s only going to be the same with someone else.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2018 21:27

I'd certainly take Hughton.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jan 2018 06:33

I don’t believe Hughton is about to be sacked

But would be a great option if so

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 23 Jan 2018 17:48

John Smith Isn’t the Norwich manager looking down the barrel? Hughton could go back there?

I think all the while we’ve got this lot upstairs we’d end up with someone who wants to play this system, so an unknown from Europe a la Sheff Weds. That’s why I’m not ready to see Stam leave yet. If we can stay up then what’s the point in sacking him because it’s only going to be the same with someone else.

This is the kind of reason why i'm very much on the fence with Stam. I can definitely see us going down with somebody else.
As for Hughton, would be very surprised if he was to leave anytime soon, but if we were looking for a manager and he was available then he'd be ideal. Wanted him when Adkins was sacked and so it's been interesting to see what he's done at Brighton. He's a great manager for a Championship club.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Jan 2018 19:23

My hairy backside could replace Stam and we will do better.

Players have lost confidence in him and in themselves because of him.

Pretty much anyone will do.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Jan 2018 20:47

All teams suffer injury problems Victor. Silva has yet to prove he can succeed in English football.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 23 Jan 2018 21:09

This topic is pointless.

Gourlay has promised Stam a job for life.

We have a 3 year plan to get into the National League and we are well on fukkin track............

This whole situation reminds me of the Venkys at Blackburn several years ago. Do the chinese owners know that we can be relegated?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 23 Jan 2018 22:36

2 world wars, 1 world cup My hairy backside could replace Stam and we will do better.

I genuinely believe this to be true

Perhaps the thread should be who definitely couldn't do it?!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 23 Jan 2018 22:54

His contract runs out at the end of next season whatever league we are playing in. to renew it after a potential struggle in L1 would be lunacy. .
With this guy in charge I wouldn't rule out L2 before he pisses off.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Jan 2018 09:02

bcubed
2 world wars, 1 world cup My hairy backside could replace Stam and we will do better.

No, you're wrong. We aren't yet in a relegation fight.

Delboy

by Delboy » 24 Jan 2018 10:44

It is amazing that we are not getting ANY inside track, from staff or players. When Nigel Howe was there he was very open with fans. Surely someone on Hob Nob knows something!!!!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Jan 2018 10:49

blythspartan This topic is pointless.

Gourlay has promised Stam a job for life.

No he hasn't

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 24 Jan 2018 11:11

John Smith
bcubed

No, you're wrong. We aren't yet in a relegation fight.

We clearly are

bagman

by bagman » 24 Jan 2018 11:43

I am now firmly of the view that Stam's time with us is spent. There appears to be a total lack of a coherent recruitment / sale plan during this window ( which may or not be his fault as RG/ BT and the Owners are equally culpable ) but his total lack of visibility this week exacerbates his relationship ( lack of ) with the fans , and his recent statements are bizarre !

I don't want a foreign replacement or a failed British manager with no affinity for us. Somebody well worth considering is Chris Davies the assistant to Brenda at Celtic, having worked with him at Swansea and Liverpool. He was a player with us and then became an analyst before going to coach in New Zealand, and did briefly return to work with Brian M as 1st Team coach before linking up again with Brendan.
Although only 34 has a great future ahead of him.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Jan 2018 12:09

bagman I am now firmly of the view that Stam's time with us is spent. There appears to be a total lack of a coherent recruitment / sale plan during this window ( which may or not be his fault as RG/ BT and the Owners are equally culpable ) but his total lack of visibility this week exacerbates his relationship ( lack of ) with the fans , and his recent statements are bizarre !

I don't want a foreign replacement or a failed British manager with no affinity for us. Somebody well worth considering is Chris Davies the assistant to Brenda at Celtic, having worked with him at Swansea and Liverpool. He was a player with us and then became an analyst before going to coach in New Zealand, and did briefly return to work with Brian M as 1st Team coach before linking up again with Brendan.
Although only 34 has a great future ahead of him.

Don't you see how with this you're answering your own dilemma? We have a system in place that is rotten and the manager just one cog in a broken machine. It doesn't matter who is in charge if they have their hands tied by poor business management upstairs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jan 2018 12:14

there is very much a feel of dead man walking certainly. Didn't do the press conference yesterday, zero noise about any transfers.

I do wonder if there is something rumbling behind the scenes. Negotiating some sort of termination maybe. Or maybe not.

Anyway, agree on the young coach thing. Would be happy to see an up and coming manager given a go. Mentioned previously, but Nolan at Notts Co, Cowley at Lincoln and Jones at luton would all be on my shortlist.

603 posts