603 posts
Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Who could replace Stam?

by Denver Royal » 21 Feb 2018 17:46

Brum Royal Just been sent this by a Rangers supporting colleague:

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/if-reading-came-for-murty.20111/

Nothing new here, no rumours or anything like that, just some Rangers fans specul8ing about what might happen if we came in for Murty, with some "interesting" comparisons of the two clubs.

Brum, thanks for linking that, it was an interesting read.

As for Murts as manager here, I'm not sure. I get nervous about the prospect of former players and whether it would go pants and tarnish their legacy. I'd feel the same about Parky being manager here. And Gilkes :shock:

That said, sometimes it works out. Harris at Millwall, for example.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 21 Feb 2018 23:54

I wouldn’t take Murty, only reason he’s getting love is because he’s a likeable figure. I’d like to see us go for a coach of the Christiansen mould (but not Christiansen). Give them time and get rid of Tevreden they can build something

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Feb 2018 09:37

Denver Royal
Brum Royal Just been sent this by a Rangers supporting colleague:

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/if-reading-came-for-murty.20111/

Nothing new here, no rumours or anything like that, just some Rangers fans specul8ing about what might happen if we came in for Murty, with some "interesting" comparisons of the two clubs.

Brum, thanks for linking that, it was an interesting read.

As for Murts as manager here, I'm not sure. I get nervous about the prospect of former players and whether it would go pants and tarnish their legacy. I'd feel the same about Parky being manager here. And Gilkes :shock:

That said, sometimes it works out. Harris at Millwall, for example.

I think Parky and the club are reaching the stage where they'd be the right level for each other, but I can't see it happening as he doesn't really fit the mold of what we want. Though he was around under McGhee so it's not like he hasnt been involved in our more passing days. I too fear tarnishing his reputation given the general malaise at the club and in the stands. We havent really properly united behind a manager since McDermott's first stint.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 Feb 2018 10:05

I would want a completely new face. What I don't want is for Monk/Christiensen/just an average Champ merry-go-round manager (a la the Adkins appointment). It's just lazy. Do some research and give it to someone else and if that's one of the young English League 1/2 lads then so be it.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Feb 2018 15:07

John Smith I would want a completely new face. What I don't want is for Monk/Christiensen/just an average Champ merry-go-round manager (a la the Adkins appointment). It's just lazy. Do some research and give it to someone else and if that's one of the young English League 1/2 lads then so be it.

Monk is hardly a Championship merry-go-round manager.

He's had two proper jobs, both of which he did pretty well in (and one was a Premier League job for starters), and then an odd situation at 'Boro where things seemed to go a bit wrong for some reason and he was ditched quite early during a real turnaround situation.

Monk is clearly not the managerial Messiah, but he is a promising young English manager who's done pretty well for himself so far.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Feb 2018 15:11

Snowflake Royal I think Parky and the club are reaching the stage where they'd be the right level for each other, but I can't see it happening as he doesn't really fit the mold of what we want. Though he was around under McGhee so it's not like he hasnt been involved in our more passing days. I too fear tarnishing his reputation given the general malaise at the club and in the stands. We havent really properly united behind a manager since McDermott's first stint.

I've said before that I'd welcome a return for Parky.

I would like to think it would be a way of re-establishing links to our history and the club to the fans but I do agree he doesn't seem to fit with the direction the club are moving and, in many ways, harking back to an era and identity that has long since passed might be a recipe for disaster.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 Feb 2018 15:52

Hoop Blah
John Smith I would want a completely new face. What I don't want is for Monk/Christiensen/just an average Champ merry-go-round manager (a la the Adkins appointment). It's just lazy. Do some research and give it to someone else and if that's one of the young English League 1/2 lads then so be it.

Monk is hardly a Championship merry-go-round manager.

He's had two proper jobs, both of which he did pretty well in (and one was a Premier League job for starters), and then an odd situation at 'Boro where things seemed to go a bit wrong for some reason and he was ditched quite early during a real turnaround situation.

Monk is clearly not the managerial Messiah, but he is a promising young English manager who's done pretty well for himself so far.

No, sorry. Going to totally disagree with you. He's a fraud. He got the Swansea job by default, and although didn't perform terribly initially - they were heading for the drop when he was sacked. He failed at Leeds and then failed at Boro after spending copious amounts.

What's he achieved?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Feb 2018 16:18

Hoop Blah
Snowflake Royal I think Parky and the club are reaching the stage where they'd be the right level for each other, but I can't see it happening as he doesn't really fit the mold of what we want. Though he was around under McGhee so it's not like he hasnt been involved in our more passing days. I too fear tarnishing his reputation given the general malaise at the club and in the stands. We havent really properly united behind a manager since McDermott's first stint.

I would like to think it would be a way of re-establishing links to our history and the club to the fans but I do agree he doesn't seem to fit with the direction the club are moving and, in many ways, harking back to an era and identity that has long since passed might be a recipe for disaster.

Until this season I think we were beyond him. But he's doing a pretty good job at Bolton at this level now. And we're struggling to really make a mark in the Championship anymore. Could be a chance to step up for him.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Feb 2018 23:25

Bolton fans are questioning Parkys team selections although tbf they’re making a fist of it after a quite abysmal start - same points as us.

Which tells quite a damning story about how bad we are.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Feb 2018 09:40

John Smith No, sorry. Going to totally disagree with you. He's a fraud. He got the Swansea job by default, and although didn't perform terribly initially - they were heading for the drop when he was sacked. He failed at Leeds and then failed at Boro after spending copious amounts.

What's he achieved?

A fraud? Haha, right, try a bit harder why don't you?

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 23 Feb 2018 17:22

Anyone who thinks Gary Monk is a good manager needs their head testing.

In time he may learn to be, but he's had three jobs now in quick succession that have gone south for one reason or another and that's good enough reason to stay away.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 25 Feb 2018 15:29

Awayawayaway Anyone who thinks Gary Monk is a good manager needs their head testing.

I wouldn't go that far, but I think he has much to prove, still.

He was backed well at Leeds, and had 30-goal Chris Wood, yet they still missed the playoffs. (A buddy of mine, a Leeds fan, reckoned he could have handled Charlie Taylor's situation better, too.)

Tbf, I thought Boro maybe pulled the plug too soon, and Gibson is known to have a quick trigger. But there may have been some issues behind closed doors, and they did spend about 50 mil that Summer.

Monk is currently out of work, so will be interesting what club he goes to in the summer, and what level.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 25 Feb 2018 15:39

Denver Royal
Awayawayaway Anyone who thinks Gary Monk is a good manager needs their head testing.

He was backed well at Leeds, and had 30-goal Chris Wood, yet they still missed the playoffs. (A buddy of mine, a Leeds fan, reckoned he could have handled Charlie Taylor's situation better, too.)

Tbf, I thought Boro maybe pulled the plug too soon, and Gibson is known to have a quick trigger. But there may have been some issues behind closed doors, and they did spend about 50 mil that Summer.

Monk is currently out of work, so will be interesting what club he goes to in the summer, and what level.

I think Gibson is one of the more patient owners. No quick trigger at all and apart from Monk, most tend to get about three years.

What a bizarre statement.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 25 Feb 2018 15:58

Awayawayaway
Denver Royal

I think Gibson is one of the more patient owners. No quick trigger at all and apart from Monk, most tend to get about three years.

What a bizarre statement.

Yeah, maybe 'ruthless' is a better word. Monk only lasted 5 months in charge...and Boro are now further behind both Wolves and Cardiff currently, than they were then. D'ya think Gibson 'needs his head testing' then, for hiring Monk, and giving him a 4-year deal? :wink:

Some were also surprised when he fired Southgate with them 4th in Champ and only 1 point off top.

Tbf, he was no doubt expecting a better start from Monk after the 50mil outlay.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 25 Feb 2018 16:31

Failed at Leeds? He did a great job despite being under Cellino, nearly lost his job very quickly but when he found his team they were very solid defensively. Him not being adequately backed in that January cost Leeds more than anything.

Now, Boro needed rebuilding and I think it’s more of a case of he can’t use a large amount of money effectively more than anything else. We may have a fair bit, but it won’t be £50m. Pulis hasn’t done much better in the circumstances either. The jury is still out on him, but nearly every manager in history has done a bad job at some point.

I’m not claiming he’s the messiah but he’s not the terrible manager he’s being made out to be. It’s typical of us humans that we forget what he initially achieved at Leeds and Swansea but focus on his job at Boro.

I am not saying I would take him at all either, I’d rather we continued to play this style of football and tried to be better at it than bin our long term plans and go for a direct manager

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 26 Feb 2018 15:30

TiagoIlori It’s typical of us humans that we forget what he initially achieved at Leeds and Swansea but focus on his job at Boro.

Martians are a lot less judgemental...

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 26 Feb 2018 16:06

Managers in UK are a generation behind the likes in spain/germany/italy. I believe the Championship is becoming a lot more technical which would suit a manager from europe - TBH I know very little about managers on the continent just the styles of leagues.
If we were to replace Stam I would be very surprised if it would be a known name.
Who would be responsible for the scouting of a manager Gourlay or Brian?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 26 Feb 2018 18:19

Snowflake Royal
Hoop Blah

Until this season I think we were beyond him. But he's doing a pretty good job at Bolton at this level now. And we're struggling to really make a mark in the Championship anymore. Could be a chance to step up for him.

Watch Bolton for 90 minutes as I did against Reading earlier in the season and I guarantee you will change your mind.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Feb 2018 18:31

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal
Hoop Blah

Watch Bolton for 90 minutes as I did against Reading earlier in the season and I guarantee you will change your mind.

I did, I haven't.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Feb 2018 19:44

Swansea fans really don’t rate Monk at all. He is seen as the one who ended the Swansea fluent style of play.
He hasn’t exactly shone in the Championship either. No thanks.

603 posts