Who could replace Stam?

603 posts
Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Who could replace Stam?

by Longhorn1970 » 27 Jan 2018 10:50

Coppells Lost Coat
Maneki Neko if youre fighting to keep out of the relegation spots, youre in a relegation fight

But with 54 points still up for grabs, we are still in for a play off spot :wink:

It's a tricky one, there are a lot of games left to turn this form around, a couple of wins and it looks very different. That said at what point does Gourlay say enough is enough ? If we keep picking up the odd point here and there and those below us continue to lose ground then I expect Stam will stay put ..

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 27 Jan 2018 11:59

Longhorn1970
Coppells Lost Coat
Maneki Neko if youre fighting to keep out of the relegation spots, youre in a relegation fight

But with 54 points still up for grabs, we are still in for a play off spot :wink:

It's a tricky one, there are a lot of games left to turn this form around, a couple of wins and it looks very different. That said at what point does Gourlay say enough is enough ? If we keep picking up the odd point here and there and those below us continue to lose ground then I expect Stam will stay put ..

What do you mean 'continue'? It's more like if we continue to lose and the teams below continue to pick up points.

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 27 Jan 2018 12:26

Oilroyal
WAZZOCK
Oilroyal You have a point Denver, it’s not the first time my opinion has been challenged on here, and rightly so, because we all see things differently. My opinion usually gets battered on here (which is fair play) but in my mind most of how I’ve interpreted this season and Jaap’s approach so far toward the club, our club officials, his coaches, the players, the fans, local media, publicly tapping up players, his stubbornness and naivety of the Championship, (in my opinion) most of these issues have or are about to come home to roost. And please believe me when I say that I really want us to succeed. But I see the rot with Jaap and I honestly believe it’s been coming from one place and one man’s domination of this club.

I don’t mean to be rude when I say it would be wasted on you. But if you’ve not seen the writing on the wall this whole season, then you probably never will, and I’m not trying to be mean.

Not necessarily a dig (unless you can fail to deliver), but please provide evidence of Jaap doing the following:

Negative approach to the club
Negative approach to club officials
Negative approach to his coaches
Negative approach towards the players
Negative approach towards the local media
Publicly tapping up a player

Many thanks

Are you saying that you can’t resonate with any of the above? You must be in such a deep sleep within the matrix, void of personal perception that life for you must be blissful ignorance

It's not about me Oil, I've asked you to provide some evidence to the above points you have made, and so far you provided a flimsy tweet quoting a player who has spent the best part of his Reading career in the injury room.

You are more than entitled to your opinions on Jaap, but when you spout your points as fact, it would be helpful if you could provide some evidence.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jan 2018 14:24

windermereROYAL I know Stam signed a new 2 year deal last summer, is next season his last year, or was it on top of his current 2 year deal?

in other words can we get rid at the end of next season? please god yes.

Up to end of next season. So about 16 months left

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Jan 2018 18:45

Hound
windermereROYAL I know Stam signed a new 2 year deal last summer, is next season his last year, or was it on top of his current 2 year deal?

in other words can we get rid at the end of next season? please god yes.

Up to end of next season. So about 16 months left

Rumour is that the club are actually looking to extend the deal by another year....

For some reason an extra year is needed to get the club to the PL

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 27 Jan 2018 19:05

Why not give Alan Devonshire a go. He has done well at Maidenhead so far. Yes, it is well below our level, but I am sure he would jump at the chance to manage a league club and he might save us from going down, I can't see Stam doing it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jan 2018 22:42

The Royal Forester Why not give Alan Devonshire a go. He has done well at Maidenhead so far. Yes, it is well below our level, but I am sure he would jump at the chance to manage a league club and he might save us from going down, I can't see Stam doing it.

:lol:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 Jan 2018 10:43

Why not Alan Devonshire?

Why not anyone?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2018 22:42

A Championship side hiring a local non-league manager is definitely lol worthy.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 Jan 2018 22:59

Anybody would be an improvement

double d

by double d » 29 Jan 2018 05:40

Donald Trump wouldn't be.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 29 Jan 2018 07:35

Snowflake Royal A Championship side hiring a local non-league manager is definitely lol worthy.

Yeah, it's not as if a Manager whose only previous managerial experience came with Slough and Woking ever did much in this division ;)

biff

by biff » 29 Jan 2018 07:56

2009 FC Zwolle (interim)
2011–2013 FC Zwolle (assistant)
2013–2014 Ajax (assistant)
2014–2016 Jong Ajax (assistant)
2016– Reading

Stam has 0 management history or pedigree. He patently doesnt have the wherewithal to sort this out, and why should he? He's been dumped in above his head too early in his career. Get shot of him and steady the ship asap.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 29 Jan 2018 08:49

double d Donald Trump wouldn't be.

Why not?
Is he doing anything else?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2018 19:55

Wimb
Snowflake Royal A Championship side hiring a local non-league manager is definitely lol worthy.

Yeah, it's not as if a Manager whose only previous managerial experience came with Slough and Woking ever did much in this division ;)

:lol: I'm not sure Devonshire has worked for us for 10 years in most coaching and scouting positions. :wink:

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 29 Jan 2018 20:23

Snowflake Royal
Wimb

:lol: I'm not sure Devonshire has worked for us for 10 years in most coaching and scouting positions. :wink:

Alan Pardew and Mark Mcghee had no manager experience anywhere, let alone the Championship. Whatever you think of the way they left our club, they didn't do too badly when here. Then there is the Quinn/Gooding combination who had no manager experience either, but they got us to a Wembley Play-off final (or indeed promotion to the top flight any other year). there have been others who had experience becoming Reading managers and not doing any good. You can cannot simply say a person is no good due to lack of experience although of course you can have an opinion, but opinions are not always correct. Who knows, it may be yours or mine that is wrong, but unless it happens we will never know. After all, who has had any experience before their first appointment?

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 29 Jan 2018 20:47

What about Slaven Bilic though looks like Stam is here for a little while longer

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jan 2018 20:58

Henley Royal 1 What about Slaven Bilic though looks like Stam is here for a little while longer

Why would he come here? Have some sense.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 29 Jan 2018 21:04

Perhaps Cowley at Lincoln then as i seem to have lost all senses .

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2018 21:26

The Royal Forester
Snowflake Royal
Wimb

Alan Pardew and Mark Mcghee had no manager experience anywhere, let alone the Championship. Whatever you think of the way they left our club, they didn't do too badly when here. Then there is the Quinn/Gooding combination who had no manager experience either, but they got us to a Wembley Play-off final (or indeed promotion to the top flight any other year). there have been others who had experience becoming Reading managers and not doing any good. You can cannot simply say a person is no good due to lack of experience although of course you can have an opinion, but opinions are not always correct. Who knows, it may be yours or mine that is wrong, but unless it happens we will never know. After all, who has had any experience before their first appointment?

I'm not positive on McGhee, I only caught the tail end of his tenure, but certainly the others were all at the club already. I think there's a big difference between employing someone at the club who knows it well and employing an external candidate with just conference managerial experience.

Quinn and Good were about 20 years ago too, different time. How many player managers have there been in the top two or three divisions in the last 5 / 10 years.

Maybe Devonshire would do a good job, I seriously doubt he'd have credibility with the fans, the players, the owners, the staff or the rest of the football circus.

603 posts