CONFIMRED - Chris Martin (loan)

310 posts
User avatar
Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 501
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 11:45
Location: Here, there and everywhere

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by Y21 » 12 Jan 2018 11:40

Tommio wrote:
Hound wrote:He's probably as good as we'll get. Good record, but concerned that I think he has only scored 1 all season, in quite a few minutes on the pitch

To be fair, the way the team is lining up and playing at the moment, Thierry Henry in his prime would struggle to score goals

Sorry you class 5 starts and 800 minutes in 21 games as quite a few minutes?


That does work out (on average) 38 minutes per game. To only score once isn't a great return.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4057
Joined: 05 Jul 2013 00:17
Location: I want to bathe with you in the sea.

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Jan 2018 14:07

Y21 wrote:
Tommio wrote:
Hound wrote:He's probably as good as we'll get. Good record, but concerned that I think he has only scored 1 all season, in quite a few minutes on the pitch

To be fair, the way the team is lining up and playing at the moment, Thierry Henry in his prime would struggle to score goals

Sorry you class 5 starts and 800 minutes in 21 games as quite a few minutes?


That does work out (on average) 38 minutes per game. To only score once isn't a great return.

Thanks for doing the math. It didn't seem like hound was being unreasonable in his assertion.

User avatar
largetrousers
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 794
Joined: 30 Apr 2004 07:27

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by largetrousers » 12 Jan 2018 14:34

Realistically we aren't going to buy anyone in this window, unless others leave to free up the money.

So loan deals it is. If Chris Martin is available, on a loan, i'd take a punt.

He may not be banging them in of recent but can we do any worse when playing formations with wingers as the forward who just don't read the game the same, make the same runs, move the defence in the same way, anticipate things the same etc?

Personally i'd prefer someone with a bit more pace, but he's a fairly solid unit who will put it about and give us another option over kids or a 36 year old.

TiagoIlori
Member
Posts: 307
Joined: 31 Jul 2017 18:34

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by TiagoIlori » 12 Jan 2018 14:35

Press conferences aren’t always eye to eye but it seems to be believable with what Rowett has said. In a nutshell Martin will be kept at Derby if he wants to stay, Rowett doesn’t want him to leave however if any offer comes in then it’s almost entirely in Martin’s hands. Worth noting that Wolves may come back in for him but it would be a sideways move to the Wolves reserves considering the strikers they have...
Source- http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/f ... ssion=true

User avatar
Sutekh
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 7249
Joined: 12 Feb 2014 15:05
Location: Destroying things.... just like Michael Gilkes used to

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by Sutekh » 12 Jan 2018 14:39

largetrousers wrote:Realistically we aren't going to buy anyone in this window, unless others leave to free up the money.

So loan deals it is. If Chris Martin is available, on a loan, i'd take a punt.

He may not be banging them in of recent but can we do any worse when playing formations with wingers as the forward who just don't read the game the same, make the same runs, move the defence in the same way, anticipate things the same etc?

Personally i'd prefer someone with a bit more pace, but he's a fairly solid unit who will put it about and give us another option over kids or a 36 year old.


Take your pick :

  1. A 36 year old
  2. A "kid"
  3. An injury prone Icelandic substitute
  4. Or possibly Chris Martin for 5 months

Other clubs would be falling over themselves to have striking options like that.


One87One
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: 28 Nov 2016 13:04
Location: Y25

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by One87One » 12 Jan 2018 14:53

I like Chris Martin. He's used to 'running in circles, chasing our tails'. When asked about our chances of staying up this season, he said "Nobody said it was easy. No one ever said it would be so hard!"

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 14904
Joined: 30 Apr 2004 16:07
Location: Carrot juice is the elixir of the Gods.

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by Norfolk Royal » 12 Jan 2018 15:01

I wouldn't have Martin on loan personally. Had a reputation as a bit of a troublemaker at Norwich.

El Diablo
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: 03 Oct 2012 13:20

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by El Diablo » 12 Jan 2018 15:17

He's signaficantly better than the sum of everyone else we currently have available in that position , and will add muscle, nous, movement and a target to hit in the box.

Its a yes from me.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6876
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by Hound » 12 Jan 2018 15:17

largetrousers wrote:Realistically we aren't going to buy anyone in this window, unless others leave to free up the money.

So loan deals it is. If Chris Martin is available, on a loan, i'd take a punt.

He may not be banging them in of recent but can we do any worse when playing formations with wingers as the forward who just don't read the game the same, make the same runs, move the defence in the same way, anticipate things the same etc?

Personally i'd prefer someone with a bit more pace, but he's a fairly solid unit who will put it about and give us another option over kids or a 36 year old.


Long term I agree - but in our current situation someone who knows the league well like Martin is probably our best bet.

Certainly for next year would like to see us go for a quicker striker, maybe someone from league 1 or 2


User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3805
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06
Location: The South of England

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Jan 2018 15:19

El Diablo wrote:He's signaficantly better than the sum of everyone else we currently have available in that position , and will add muscle, nous, movement and a target to hit in the box.

Its a yes from me.


Who has been the nousiest player over the years? Cureton has to be up there surely.

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 19780
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by genome » 12 Jan 2018 15:22

Reading fans: Sign a striker ffs!!
Reading FC: OK, how about the striker who, until August, had scored the most goals out of any player in the Championship over the last 3 seasons?
Reading fans: Ugh, no, not him

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6876
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by Hound » 12 Jan 2018 15:26

genome wrote:Reading fans: Sign a striker ffs!!
Reading FC: OK, how about the striker who, until August, had scored the most goals out of any player in the Championship over the last 3 seasons?
Reading fans: Ugh, no, not him


who is it now out of interest?

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 19780
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by genome » 12 Jan 2018 15:30

Daryl Murphy, I think, he was just behind him in August and now he has 7 to Martin's 1 this season


El Diablo
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: 03 Oct 2012 13:20

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by El Diablo » 12 Jan 2018 15:39

Old Man Andrews wrote:
El Diablo wrote:He's signaficantly better than the sum of everyone else we currently have available in that position , and will add muscle, nous, movement and a target to hit in the box.

Its a yes from me.


Who has been the nousiest player over the years? Cureton has to be up there surely.


Big Dave Kitson - in recent years

Coppells Lost Coat
Member
Posts: 306
Joined: 28 Sep 2017 15:44

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by Coppells Lost Coat » 12 Jan 2018 15:51

El Diablo wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
El Diablo wrote:He's signaficantly better than the sum of everyone else we currently have available in that position , and will add muscle, nous, movement and a target to hit in the box.

Its a yes from me.


Who has been the nousiest player over the years? Cureton has to be up there surely.


Big Dave Kitson - in recent years


Le Fondre on his day. Always fancied him to pounce on anything sloppy from oppo defenders.

Martin has been great for so many seasons, if he is in the right frame of mind to be fighting for points he'd be great, My only concern would be, he has been in relatively successful teams over the years, not sure he would be up for the challenge if only on loan.

TiagoIlori
Member
Posts: 307
Joined: 31 Jul 2017 18:34

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by TiagoIlori » 12 Jan 2018 15:52

Hound wrote:
largetrousers wrote:Realistically we aren't going to buy anyone in this window, unless others leave to free up the money.

So loan deals it is. If Chris Martin is available, on a loan, i'd take a punt.

He may not be banging them in of recent but can we do any worse when playing formations with wingers as the forward who just don't read the game the same, make the same runs, move the defence in the same way, anticipate things the same etc?

Personally i'd prefer someone with a bit more pace, but he's a fairly solid unit who will put it about and give us another option over kids or a 36 year old.


Long term I agree - but in our current situation someone who knows the league well like Martin is probably our best bet.

Certainly for next year would like to see us go for a quicker striker, maybe someone from league 1 or 2

The situation up front is almost comparable to 11/12, we lacked a powerful experienced striker that knew where the back of the net was. Jason Roberts came in and we were a completely different team- everyone seemed to take notice after we played Leicester off the park to beat them 3-1, whilst that exact fate won’t be repeated sometimes a experienced striker can make all the difference. We’re in a relegation scrap and need to win nearly half of our games to stay up, forget about the long term we need to preserve championship status first.

User avatar
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2810
Joined: 21 Jan 2010 00:47
Location: We should never ponder on our thoughts today cos they hold sway over time

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by John Smith » 12 Jan 2018 16:12

TiagoIlori wrote:We’re in a relegation scrap and need to win nearly half of our games to stay up

This statement is not true young man

Tommio
Member
Posts: 648
Joined: 04 Aug 2013 14:13

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by Tommio » 12 Jan 2018 16:12

TiagoIlori wrote:
Hound wrote:
largetrousers wrote:Realistically we aren't going to buy anyone in this window, unless others leave to free up the money.

So loan deals it is. If Chris Martin is available, on a loan, i'd take a punt.

He may not be banging them in of recent but can we do any worse when playing formations with wingers as the forward who just don't read the game the same, make the same runs, move the defence in the same way, anticipate things the same etc?

Personally i'd prefer someone with a bit more pace, but he's a fairly solid unit who will put it about and give us another option over kids or a 36 year old.


Long term I agree - but in our current situation someone who knows the league well like Martin is probably our best bet.

Certainly for next year would like to see us go for a quicker striker, maybe someone from league 1 or 2

The situation up front is almost comparable to 11/12, we lacked a powerful experienced striker that knew where the back of the net was. Jason Roberts came in and we were a completely different team- everyone seemed to take notice after we played Leicester off the park to beat them 3-1, whilst that exact fate won’t be repeated sometimes a experienced striker can make all the difference. We’re in a relegation scrap and need to win nearly half of our games to stay up, forget about the long term we need to preserve championship status first.

We need 22 points from 20 games to stay up roughly, what makes you think that we need to win nearly half our games?

TiagoIlori
Member
Posts: 307
Joined: 31 Jul 2017 18:34

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by TiagoIlori » 12 Jan 2018 16:17

Tommio wrote:
TiagoIlori wrote:
Hound wrote:
Long term I agree - but in our current situation someone who knows the league well like Martin is probably our best bet.

Certainly for next year would like to see us go for a quicker striker, maybe someone from league 1 or 2

The situation up front is almost comparable to 11/12, we lacked a powerful experienced striker that knew where the back of the net was. Jason Roberts came in and we were a completely different team- everyone seemed to take notice after we played Leicester off the park to beat them 3-1, whilst that exact fate won’t be repeated sometimes a experienced striker can make all the difference. We’re in a relegation scrap and need to win nearly half of our games to stay up, forget about the long term we need to preserve championship status first.

We need 22 points from 20 games to stay up roughly, what makes you think that we need to win nearly half our games?

Blackburn went down with 51 points last season and the bottom 3 sides seem to be picking up points all over the place. As I said winning nearly 10 games(or equivalent), is what will keep us up securely without any final day hassle...

User avatar
Hendo
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3197
Joined: 25 Mar 2012 20:53

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by Hendo » 12 Jan 2018 16:50

TiagoIlori wrote:
Tommio wrote:
TiagoIlori wrote:The situation up front is almost comparable to 11/12, we lacked a powerful experienced striker that knew where the back of the net was. Jason Roberts came in and we were a completely different team- everyone seemed to take notice after we played Leicester off the park to beat them 3-1, whilst that exact fate won’t be repeated sometimes a experienced striker can make all the difference. We’re in a relegation scrap and need to win nearly half of our games to stay up, forget about the long term we need to preserve championship status first.

We need 22 points from 20 games to stay up roughly, what makes you think that we need to win nearly half our games?

Blackburn went down with 51 points last season and the bottom 3 sides seem to be picking up points all over the place. As I said winning nearly 10 games(or equivalent), is what will keep us up securely without any final day hassle...


Yet the year before, Charlton went down with 40 points?

310 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 57 guests

It is currently 17 Oct 2018 07:33