CONFIMRED - Chris Martin (loan)

310 posts
Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by Royalwaster » 17 Jan 2018 15:43

genome Stam confrimed interest in him after the game...

Really? That would suggest he is an active contributor to Hob Nob, otherwise surely he'd have confirmed interest like everyone else?! :D

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 17 Jan 2018 15:47

Royalwaster

Really? That would suggest he is an active contributor to Hob Nob, otherwise surely he'd have confirmed interest like everyone else?! :D

Right, let's all try to work out which nobber he is. My vote goes to strap. Similar name. And he's ultra-critical of himself so he can get a warm glow when he sees replies defending him

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jan 2018 15:51

Denver Royal
genome
windermereROYAL Our fans gave him a hard time but you don't turn into a bad player over night.

I imagine that happens to loads of clubs, not just us.

I've heard that in here before, genome, as if its some kind of justification for the negativity. Assuming its even true, just for the record we don't necessarily want to just be like other fans/clubs, right? We want to be BETTER than other fans/clubs, right? Or am I being too presumptuous in that thinking?

Back on topic, I'm in favor of getting Chris Martin in, and I hope the club gets this one over the line. Too bad they didn't get something done last summer. With Yann's injuries/struggles and Bod's fitness/injuries/illness issues, in effect Stam has been essentially operating without a striker for much of the season. If we'd had, say, a 20-goal striker at the outset, things would likely look a lot different right now.

difficult to say - considering we've had two strikers fit (one who scored 19 last year, one who has a scoring rate this season of a 20 a year striker) for the last couple of months mostly and we've been useless, not sure it'd have made a great deal of difference.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 17 Jan 2018 16:00

Hound
Denver Royal
genome
I imagine that happens to loads of clubs, not just us.

I've heard that in here before, genome, as if its some kind of justification for the negativity. Assuming its even true, just for the record we don't necessarily want to just be like other fans/clubs, right? We want to be BETTER than other fans/clubs, right? Or am I being too presumptuous in that thinking?

Back on topic, I'm in favor of getting Chris Martin in, and I hope the club gets this one over the line. Too bad they didn't get something done last summer. With Yann's injuries/struggles and Bod's fitness/injuries/illness issues, in effect Stam has been essentially operating without a striker for much of the season. If we'd had, say, a 20-goal striker at the outset, things would likely look a lot different right now.

difficult to say - considering we've had two strikers fit (one who scored 19 last year, one who has a scoring rate this season of a 20 a year striker) for the last couple of months mostly and we've been useless, not sure it'd have made a great deal of difference.

So, tell me, Hound, why are you (and many others) in favor of signing Chris Martin then? You yourself said on this very thread he'd be a good signing? And that you'd be disappointed if they didn't get it done? I believe you are also on record as having been quite vocal that we should have signed a striker last summer ? (And no, that wasn't Bod).

Looking forward to your response, Hound.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 17 Jan 2018 16:47, edited 2 times in total.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Jan 2018 16:19

muirinho
Royalwaster

Right, let's all try to work out which nobber he is. My vote goes to strap. Similar name. And he's ultra-critical of himself so he can get a warm glow when he sees replies defending him

Ian Royal, obvs.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Jan 2018 17:21

Denver Royal getting punchy :shock:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jan 2018 19:42

Get in Martin, bench him while Bod gets 5 starts to prove himself , using Martin as an attacking move on about 20 minutes if necessary, and if we can afford Yann on the bench too, he can be the defensive option if we're under the cosh and could use his defensive qualities and nous. If Bod doesn't perform, Martin goes in. All the while Yann is building fitness and if Martin doesn't work then Yann gets another chance.

Gives us options to affect the game. Simple.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Jan 2018 20:13

Probably as a potential left back.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jan 2018 21:18

Denver Royal
Hound
Denver Royal

So, tell me, Hound, why are you (and many others) in favor of signing Chris Martin then? You yourself said on this very thread he'd be a good signing? And that you'd be disappointed if they didn't get it done? I believe you are also on record as having been quite vocal that we should have signed a striker last summer ? (And no, that wasn't Bod).

Looking forward to your response, Hound.

Not quite sure what you are getting at tbh

I wasn’t especially vocal about getting another forward as it happens. A lot less than most - I believe Bod should have had a much bigger chance, he’s always impressed me. Happy for you to find a post where I suggest otherwise

Considering Martin’s record, if he is available for us it’s a no-brainer. I just don’t think he’ll come in and score a shed load. What he may well do is score enough to help keep us up and between him, Yann and Dadi provide us enough strike options to see us through the season

We had a 20-goal-a-season man last year in Grabban and Stam misused him. Dadi and Yann can score goals. I Don’t think it’s as simple as saying we are missing a forward and things would be a lot better if we’d signed yet another player

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 17 Jan 2018 21:41

muirinho
Royalwaster

Dave Royal?

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 18 Jan 2018 08:21

Is anyone actually against us signing Martin? If he comes here in the right frame of mind he would be a very good addition. It will freshen up our attack line, boost the confidence of wingers that some one might actually be in the box if they cross it. The list is endless of positives.

One negative is - he might be shit for half a season.....like most of our January signings have been.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 18 Jan 2018 09:36

Coppells Lost Coat Is anyone actually against us signing Martin? If he comes here in the right frame of mind he would be a very good addition. It will freshen up our attack line, boost the confidence of wingers that some one might actually be in the box if they cross it. The list is endless of positives.

One negative is - he might be shit for half a season.....like most of our January signings have been.

Think of him as a Billy Sharp kind of player .... he was a bit sh:t for us, but has done very well pretty much everywhere else he's been.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 18 Jan 2018 09:59

Royalwaster
Coppells Lost Coat Is anyone actually against us signing Martin? If he comes here in the right frame of mind he would be a very good addition. It will freshen up our attack line, boost the confidence of wingers that some one might actually be in the box if they cross it. The list is endless of positives.

Think of him as a Billy Sharp kind of player .... he was a bit sh:t for us, but has done very well pretty much everywhere else he's been.

Same with Glenn Murray

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Jan 2018 10:16

and vydra

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Jan 2018 10:28

Maneki Neko and vydra

Worst player to ever don the hoops

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Jan 2018 10:33

John Smith
Maneki Neko and vydra

Worst player to ever don the hoops

lol.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Jan 2018 10:35

TBM
Royalwaster

Same with Glenn Murray

Murray was decent for us. 8 goals in 18 appearances.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Jan 2018 10:40

genome
TBM
Royalwaster

Same with Glenn Murray

Yeah really liked Murray, shame we couldn't make it a permanent move.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 18 Jan 2018 10:52

TBM
Royalwaster

Same with Glenn Murray

So......
If the option is there to bring in these types of players, we cannot turn the opportunity down. Martin is a proven, top striker at this level. The ifs and buts dont really matter. Bringing in a CF, is what the majority want and wanted 5 months ago. To bring in some one with his strike rate, proven at this level, in our position would be insane to turn down.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Jan 2018 11:00

genome
TBM
Royalwaster

Same with Glenn Murray

Well quite. Bearing in mind he wasn't match fit when he joined and (I think) had come back from injury - he'd have only got better.

310 posts