Rumour - Reise Allassani

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Reise Allassani

by From Despair To Where? » 10 Jan 2018 08:41

Old Man Andrews
Tilehurstsouthbank
Old Man Andrews
Who has said "don't sign non-league players" btw?

The list is a lot longer of those who have tried to step up and not made the grade.

But it's a low risk strategy. The player will cost relative peanuts for a club our size.

That is my original concern. We are potentially taking punts on non-league, cheap talent which is a sign of how poor we are financially. Not suggesting we shouldn't sign him because he is non-league, would just like a striker with league experience to help us out of our current situation.

Because spending £4.5m on a proven Championship winger has proven to be such a raging success, hasn't it.

Couldn't give a shit where the players have come from, if the scouts see someone worth investing in then why not?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Jan 2018 08:42

Well, you've completely ignored my counter-argument on that and have just repeated your original point.

That definitely reminds me of someone whose name began with a K...

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 10 Jan 2018 08:52

I doubt there's a team in the Championship that doesn't look at their local non league clubs to see if there's anyone they've missed. Makes total sense; low risk, low cost and could potentially save them millions.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jan 2018 08:57

From Despair To Where? I doubt there's a team in the Championship that doesn't look at their local non league clubs to see if there's anyone they've missed. Makes total sense; low risk, low cost and could potentially save them millions.

That is a great philosophy and admirable.

If you're flying high near the top of the league and have lots of points on the board. Now is not the time to take risks and punts on unproven players. We need players through the door who have league experience.

I take your point on Aluko, I know a vast majority had reservations on him. Hasn't worked and he doesn't fit.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Jan 2018 08:58

It doesn’t matter if the signing worked or not, we still spent the money and smashed our transfer record, which kind of ruins your argument

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 10 Jan 2018 09:01

genome It doesn’t matter if the signing worked or not, we still spent the money and smashed our transfer record, which kind of ruins your argument

Smashed our transfer record for the second time in 7 months.

As far back as I can remember (we're talking early 80's), our track record with spending big is pretty ropey.

I'm thinking:

Hurlock
Moran
Maskell
Caskey
Asaba
Convey
Lita
Halford
Fae
Marriappa
Ilori
Aluko.

Caskey is the only one not to have been a one season wonder or a complete waste of money.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 10 Jan 2018 09:04, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jan 2018 09:03

genome Well, you've completely ignored my counter-argument on that and have just repeated your original point.

That definitely reminds me of someone whose name began with a K...

I am not anyone else, I am relatively new here but what I have seen in a short space of time is that you're a bit deluded and have no understanding of how much trouble this club is in. There is absolutely nothing to be positive about, wake yourself up and try to have an honest opinion about the club and the way things are rather than this blinkered view that everything is great and rosey. It's not.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jan 2018 09:05

genome It doesn’t matter if the signing worked or not, we still spent the money and smashed our transfer record, which kind of ruins your argument

Ruins the argument that we should be signing established players with league experience? You're disagreeing with that? I thought you were a bit dopey, thanks for confirming.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Jan 2018 09:06

From Despair To Where?

As far back as I can remember (we're talking early 80's), our track record with spending big is pretty ropey.

I'm thinking:

Hurlock
Moran
Maskell
Caskey
Asaba
Convey
Lita
Halford
Fae
Marriappa
Ilori
Aluko.

Caskey is the only one not to have been a one season wonder or a complete waste of money.

Harsh on Convey...

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Jan 2018 09:07

Chuckle Brother Bas Savage.

Best game for Reading was in the League Cup match v Chelsea.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 10 Jan 2018 09:09

Hendo
From Despair To Where?

I'm thinking:

Hurlock
Moran
Maskell
Caskey
Asaba
Convey
Lita
Halford
Fae
Marriappa
Ilori
Aluko.

Harsh on Convey...

Not really, he was facking dreadful in his first year, had 1 excellent season then spent the next 2 years injured.
I love the fella but let's be honest......
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 10 Jan 2018 09:12, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Jan 2018 09:12

Old Man Andrews

Ruins the argument that we should be signing established players with league experience? You're disagreeing with that? I thought you were a bit dopey, thanks for confirming.

Your argument is that we are only in a position to buy non-league players. I have given you the reason why that would be the case this January (twice now). Reply my other post, that you ignored, if you want my full viewpoint.

As for me being "dopey" because "I don't recognise that we're in trouble", if you actually read most of my posts you'd know that's bullshit. Yet another nobber who likes to selectively quote me so they can have a dig. Tiresome...

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 10 Jan 2018 09:15

Hendo
From Despair To Where?

I'm thinking:

Hurlock
Moran
Maskell
Caskey
Asaba
Convey
Lita
Halford
Fae
Marriappa
Ilori
Aluko.

Harsh on Convey...

And Lita

He more than paid for his fee by being part of that great team...

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Jan 2018 09:20

TBM
Hendo
From Despair To Where?

I'm thinking:

Hurlock
Moran
Maskell
Caskey
Asaba
Convey
Lita
Halford
Fae
Marriappa
Ilori
Aluko.

Harsh on Convey...

And Lita

+1

I would say we got more than our moneys worth for Lita @ £1m & Convey @ £900K

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 10 Jan 2018 09:45

Hendo
TBM
Hendo
Harsh on Convey...

And Lita

+1

And lots of love for Mariappa from me.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Jan 2018 09:54

I think it's too early to judge Ilori as well. With McShane on the decline and/or Moore leaving he could well become an important part of the team. Ilori put in some decent performances last season too (and some shit ones)

Aluko might even come good. :shock: :?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Jan 2018 09:58

muirinho
Hendo
TBM
And Lita

+1

And lots of love for Mariappa from me.

Yeah, I quite liked him as well and have no doubt he would've stayed had we stayed up and been a good player for us.

I think Halford needs to come with a caveat that we actually made a profit on him.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Jan 2018 10:02

From Despair To Where?

I'm thinking:

Hurlock
Moran
Maskell
Caskey
Asaba
Convey
Lita
Halford
Fae
Marriappa
Ilori
Aluko.

Dont think there was much wrong with Convey, Lita and Marriappa..

I havent written off Aluko or Ilori yet. Both could still improve and Aluko has been played as a striker and given weird tactical instrustions (or too much freedom of movement)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2018 10:06

I like Ilori personally. Think he has deserved far more game time than he has had. He was great back end of last year, and you'd expect him to step in if Moore does go

Aluko I've very little time for. But he has been far from the only one who has massively underperformed this year

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jan 2018 10:10

Hound I like Ilori personally. Think he has deserved far more game time than he has had. He was great back end of last year, and you'd expect him to step in if Moore does go

Aluko I've very little time for. But he has been far from the only one who has massively underperformed this year

My problem with Aluko is he doesn't seem entirely arsed about anything. I am sure most Reading fans could forgive some of the poor performances if he gave his all each week but he's not putting in a shift.