Stam to be sacked?

141 posts
Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Stam to be sacked?

by Denver Royal » 02 Mar 2018 13:22

Hatty9 Best case scenario and we some how stay up, What then?
Stan leaves by mutual consent and we get a new manager in realistically how much of an overhaul will there need to be in order to stop the same thing happening next season. I'm assuming there won't be loads of cash and I can't see many of the players we would want to see go getting us much money coming in. Do we then sell our couple of prize assets just to generate the money needed for the changes.
Will a new manager be able to make us a mid table team with what we already have? And if so is that what we would be happy with? I'd grab it now but when it happens that must be the most frustrating thing for a team in the championship to win one lose one and realise by January your season is over.
It's hard to see the perfect future happening with very little money and no obvious manager to take us forward and it seems to me that sooner or later without some sort of intervention relegation will happen.

Well, its a discussion for the Summer. But yes, instead of just moaning, I'd like to see a lot more people expound on their footy manager theme and outline some specific plans and ideas of how we can get promoted to the PL...and stay there. (Assuming that's what we actually want, because last time we were there, there was much gnashing of teeth about all the plastic fans, the soul-less stadiums, PL tix prices, etc). Or whether we are pretty much punching at our weight and are just a Champ club anyway. When we were in PL, quite a few missed the Champ and were saying mid-table Champ was about our level, and that was just fine with them, with a promo run now and again.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 02 Mar 2018 13:43

Denver Royal
Stan leaves by mutual consent and we get a new manager in realistically how much of an overhaul will there need to be in order to stop the same thing happening next season. I'm assuming there won't be loads of cash and I can't see many of the players we would want to see go getting us much money coming in. Do we then sell our couple of prize assets just to generate the money needed for the changes.
Will a new manager be able to make us a mid table team with what we already have? And if so is that what we would be happy with? I'd grab it now but when it happens that must be the most frustrating thing for a team in the championship to win one lose one and realise by January your season is over.
It's hard to see the perfect future happening with very little money and no obvious manager to take us forward and it seems to me that sooner or later without some sort of intervention relegation will happen.

Well, its a discussion for the Summer. But yes, instead of just moaning, I'd like to see a lot more people expound on their footy manager theme and outline some specific plans and ideas of how we can get promoted to the PL...and stay there. (Assuming that's what we actually want, because last time we were there, there was much gnashing of teeth about all the plastic fans, the soul-less stadiums, PL tix prices, etc). Or whether we are pretty much punching at our weight and are just a Champ club anyway. When we were in PL, quite a few missed the Champ and were saying mid-table Champ was about our level, and that was just fine with them, with a promo run now and again.

Do you go to games, Denver?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Mar 2018 14:08

Awayawayaway
Denver Royal

When I can, yes. Why?

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 02 Mar 2018 14:48

Denver Royal
Awayawayaway
Denver Royal

When I can, yes. Why?

You don't seem to have much of a clue that's all.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Mar 2018 15:28

Just picking out this part of your post because it's one of the things that irks me, you make it sound like we're 10 points off safety and staying up would be a miracle and you're not the only one suggesting we're pretty much down.

We're 4pts clear and we have been for weeks, the only team around us showing good form is Bolton and despite that they still haven't managed to overtake us

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Mar 2018 15:42

tidus_mi2

Just picking out this part of your post because it's one of the things that irks me, you make it sound like we're 10 points off safety and staying up would be a miracle and you're not the only one suggesting we're pretty much down.

We're 4pts clear and we have been for weeks, the only team around us showing good form is Bolton and despite that they still haven't managed to overtake us

Wow. Is that a rational post I see here being realistic about our plight? It's not? Surely!

Hatty9

by Hatty9 » 02 Mar 2018 17:43

tidus_mi2

I actually do think we will stay up but that's not because of our great form it's because we have the points in the bag and there would appear to be at least 3 teams worse than us.
That being said my post started with "best case scenario" which would be staying up it's not as though we can make the playoffs.
There is always the chance of "worst case scenario" which would be relegation and then the summer would look completely different

One87One

by One87One » 10 Mar 2018 07:16

Agree with the above post. We are currently the worst side in the league IMO. We are just fortunate to have the gap we have and the teams below us seemingly unable to put points on the board to take advantage of our sleepwalk towards League One.

Without question, Stam should have gone before xmas. It was clear then to many that he couldn’t turn this around. Some stuck by him and so in that case he really should have gone in Feb. It seems clear he will remain here until the summer now no matter what we want.

Let’s just hope he doesn’t relegate us because he most definitely won’t stick around for next season if he does; and hopefully won’t even if we do stay up. We need a total shake up whether that be costly or not to do. It’s cost a lot more to go down!

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 10 Mar 2018 12:25

One87One Agree with the above post. We are currently the worst side in the league IMO. We are just fortunate to have the gap we have and the teams below us seemingly unable to put points on the board to take advantage of our sleepwalk towards League One.

Without question, Stam should have gone before xmas. It was clear then to many that he couldn’t turn this around. Some stuck by him and so in that case he really should have gone in Feb. It seems clear he will remain here until the summer now no matter what we want.

Let’s just hope he doesn’t relegate us because he most definitely won’t stick around for next season if he does; and hopefully won’t even if we do stay up. We need a total shake up whether that be costly or not to do. It’s cost a lot more to go down!

To be honest - it would be terrible if he does stay till next season as this mess can only get worse.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Mar 2018 17:49

Will Jaap be up to the challenge of Division 3 football :?:

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Mar 2018 19:01

Sutekh Will Jaap be up to the challenge of Division 3 football :?:

No

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Mar 2018 21:00

Royalwaster To be honest - it would be terrible if he does stay till next season as this mess can only get worse.

We'll start next season in a much better place than last. Spending money has proved a fallacy yet again. As better individual performances have come for those that play for the shirt and the not the money. The clearout out of academy players at the end of last season has proved to be correct. As the players breaking through weren't even on the radar.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Mar 2018 07:23

Lower West
Royalwaster To be honest - it would be terrible if he does stay till next season as this mess can only get worse.

We'll start next season in a much better place than last. Spending money has proved a fallacy yet again. As better individual performances have come for those that play for the shirt and the not the money. The clearout out of academy players at the end of last season has proved to be correct. As the players breaking through weren't even on the radar.

Spending money is not the fallacy. Spending it wisely is. Barrow and Bod have so far worked out worthwhile but the signing of Aluko was unnecessary, pointless and completely ridiculous (nothing against the player just the stupidity of paying a such a stupid fee (stupid at even half the reported £7.5m) and then giving the player 4 years - at 28.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 11 Mar 2018 08:55

I think there is maybe a financial strategy behind all these draws - saving the club money on win bonuses for players? :D

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 11 Mar 2018 13:32

Sutekh Spending money is not the fallacy. Spending it wisely is. Barrow and Bod have so far worked out worthwhile but the signing of Aluko was unnecessary, pointless and completely ridiculous (nothing against the player just the stupidity of paying a such a stupid fee (stupid at even half the reported £7.5m) and then giving the player 4 years - at 28.

I'd say Barrow and Bod have been more than 'worthwhile'. And if Aluko can turn things around and improve, that Summer window starts looking better. He only joined us in Sep and It seems plausible to me he could be better next year with a full off season, camps, tours, pre season, etc.

I'm skeptical on the 'reported' 7.5mil. Club says 'undisclosed'. Transfer fees can be complex these days anyway. Its not always the entire lump sum up front, and contingencies and add-ons can be tied in.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Mar 2018 20:04

One87One Agree with the above post. We are currently the worst side in the league IMO. We are just fortunate to have the gap we have and the teams below us seemingly unable to put points on the board to take advantage of our sleepwalk towards League One.

You what? We're the worst team in the league but we're not going down because we've got points on the board over teams below us who can't get the results to overtake us? That makes no sense.

We're not worse than Burton who simply don't have the infrastructure to really reliably compete at this level, and who are in the relegation zone.

We're not worse than Birmingham who have lost their last seven games in a row, and are in the relegation zone. The worst we've managed all season for consecutive losses is three.

We're not worse than Sunderland who are flat bottom and on season long form won't go past our current points total, let alone overtake what we eventually get.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Mar 2018 11:51

I actually think we should probably stick with Stam now and review at the end of the season. The time for sacking him this season has been and gone, IMO.

I just don't think there's anyone really available that has the quality to come in and sort things out with 10 games left, especially when the players all love Stam anyway.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Mar 2018 11:59

genome I actually think we should probably stick with Stam now and review at the end of the season. The time for sacking him this season has been and gone, IMO.

I just don't think there's anyone really available that has the quality to come in and sort things out with 10 games left, especially when the players all love Stam anyway.

I told you that exact same thing 3 months ago and you shot me down for it.

There's nothing to 'sort out' anyway, we are destined for a lower mid table finish. Only someone with the quality of Ron Atkinson could get us into the playoffs from here.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Mar 2018 12:02

John Smith
genome I actually think we should probably stick with Stam now and review at the end of the season. The time for sacking him this season has been and gone, IMO.

There's nothing to 'sort out' anyway, we are destined for a lower mid table finish. Only someone with the quality of Ron Atkinson could get us into the playoffs from here.

Because 3 months ago was the perfect opportunity to sack him :roll:

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Mar 2018 12:10

genome
John Smith

Because 3 months ago was the perfect opportunity to sack him :roll:

You've been moaning ever since the Norwich defeat to get him out

141 posts