Stam to be sacked?

141 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Stam to be sacked?

by Victor Meldrew » 14 Mar 2018 19:33

BBC South tonight reported Stam as saying that he has the full support of the owner and the board.
Amazing.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 14 Mar 2018 20:00

Victor Meldrew BBC South tonight reported Stam as saying that he has the full support of the owner and the board.
Amazing.

He didn't say that. A few weeks back when asked he said that. This time when asked he said to ask them and that he spoke to them in the morning.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Mar 2018 20:06

strap
genome
John Smith You've been moaning ever since the Norwich defeat to get him out

No I haven't...

The first time I mentioned wanting Stam out was if we had lost to Forest at home on 31st Oct, which we didn't. I was then Stam In until pretty much the Burton home game.

But even if I did say that, the more time a new manager would have had to make something out of the season, the better :roll:

Would sacking Stam tonight, with 9 games left and 6 points off the drop zone, be sensible? Common sense would suggest not, especially with the paucity of available alternatives. However, what if he takes us down? In hindsight would a change with 9 games to go have offered an escape from the drop?

All hypothetical I admit, but with Southampton just binning their manager with 8 games left and just 1 point off safety, it does beg the question. Personally, I fear it's too late now to bin Stam. We just cross our fingers and hope Birmingham, Burton and Sunderland don;t improve. Come the close season we must hope that Vitesse Arnhem or some other team entice him away so we don;t have to pay the final year of his contract up.

All in all a pretty dire scenario to end a pretty dire season. Oh well, onto Norwich Saturday. Maybe nick a point??

There was a section on this for the PL on MotD a few weeks ago.

It showed that the vast majority of clubs who sack a manager with (I think) less than 10 games left go down. I think it was something like 2 vs 8 stayed up. We were one of them.

The window is gone.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Mar 2018 07:39

Not sure it’s quite as simple as that. We are in a better position than at lot of those clubs who sacked their manager at the time

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 15 Mar 2018 08:04

JIM How many managers have resigned, when they get a big golden handshake if fired. Would you ?

I'm sure i've seen some managers who resigned but maybe that was an inside deal where they agreed a deal with the club to be seen to leave on their terms? Even though it makes sense for a manager financially not to resign you'd think it would hit him in the longterm if he's known to have relegated a club? So he may benefit now from not resigning but if we stick with him and his CV shows that he got relegated that should surely limit his chances in future?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Mar 2018 12:54

Awayawayaway
Victor Meldrew BBC South tonight reported Stam as saying that he has the full support of the owner and the board.
Amazing.

He didn't say that. A few weeks back when asked he said that. This time when asked he said to ask them and that he spoke to them in the morning.

That was weeks ago-this is what was reported 2 nights ago.
Do you have access to Jaap's every spoken word?

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 15 Mar 2018 13:08

Victor Meldrew
Awayawayaway
Amazing.

That was weeks ago-this is what was reported 2 nights ago.
Do you have access to Jaap's every spoken word?

Ok calm down, I wasn't having a pop it's just what I thought.

Not like a Liverpool fan to miss understand.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Mar 2018 14:09

The board obviously see Stam as the future and it'll take either him resigning or a likely plummet to Division 4 to get shot of him.

Commendable in one way, and he does bring so much to the club in terms of his profile etc., but there comes a worrying point when the goodwill earned from last season gets burnt off and blind faith takes over - it took over after the Birmingham embarrassment as far as I am concerned, but perhaps not for the board.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Mar 2018 16:33

Don't really know what the board think tbh.

I think its pretty clear to all that Stam's management - whether that is his choice of assistants + coaching, or his own tactics have failed abysmally this year.

I think if we struggle through the season and stay up, changes will happen. Whether that is a shake up of the coaching or of Stam himself, I'd be surprised if Gourlay and co are happy to just let the atrocity we have seen on the pitch just pass

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Mar 2018 21:39

Hound Not sure it’s quite as simple as that. We are in a better position than at lot of those clubs who sacked their manager at the time

The point is not that a new manager wouldn't keep us up, but that a new manager would be no more likely to keep us up, so we might as well see out the season and start afresh, either with Stam or with someone else.

I'm sure the club have contingency plans already on who they'd be interested in hiring to replace Stam for whatever reason.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Mar 2018 08:47

Snowflake Royal
Hound Not sure it’s quite as simple as that. We are in a better position than at lot of those clubs who sacked their manager at the time

The point is not that a new manager wouldn't keep us up, but that a new manager would be no more likely to keep us up, so we might as well see out the season and start afresh, either with Stam or with someone else.

I'm sure the club have contingency plans already on who they'd be interested in hiring to replace Stam for whatever reason.

think that depends on any number of factors.

For example last year, do you think Zola would have kept Birmingham up? Crooked 'Arry comes in and wins two games out of 3 where I think they would have gone otherwise.

(obvs then Arry does a stunningly shit job this season for them, but thats not the point)

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Mar 2018 09:14

Hound
Snowflake Royal

For example last year, do you think Zola would have kept Birmingham up? Crooked 'Arry comes in and wins two games out of 3 where I think they would have gone otherwise.

(obvs then Arry does a stunningly shit job this season for them, but thats not the point)

Birmingham would have surely lost to Huddersfield and gone done if they hadn't rested their entire team for the play-offs.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 Mar 2018 10:45

If someone gave me the chance to get ride of Jaap Stam or George Evans from the club, I'd bite their hand off up to the shoulder if it meant Evans left.

He has to go.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2018 12:48

Hound
Snowflake Royal

Ok, let me be more precise. It is far more likely that a new manager would make us no less likely to go down than sticking with what we've got.

Changing manager now would be a case of a short term roll of a dice, with probably worse odds than just rolling a six for getting any improvement, when we're probably staying up anyway.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Mar 2018 09:09

John Smith If someone gave me the chance to get ride of Jaap Stam or George Evans from the club, I'd bite their hand off up to the shoulder if it meant Evans left.

He has to go.

You really are quite tiresome, aren’t you?

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 17 Mar 2018 09:28

John Smith If someone gave me the chance to get ride of Jaap Stam or George Evans from the club, I'd bite their hand off up to the shoulder if it meant Evans left.

He has to go.

Stam is shocking, but the problem is with the board.
I'll bet they don't even know our last result.
It's a tax dodge for them, they couldn't give a shit about the club, same as anton!
We were so lucky under Madejski while other clubs were being destroyed, now it's our turn.
Stam should have been sacked before christmas, but he wasn't. I think we might just scrape survival, but i honestly don't care anymore.
When we were relegated from the PL under McD we had a shocking team. Our best players had left the club. Jay Tabb, who could barely get a game the previous season, was staring every game after Jem left, we were genuinely weaker. Now we've got loads of highly paid players who aren't performing and that comes down to the manager.

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 17 Mar 2018 10:20

leon

He has to go.

You really are quite tiresome, aren’t you?

Sorry Leon Jaap Stam, is not going anywhere at moment. we will stay up . he said he not Quitting the club.
the owner are 100% backing him.
i hope we keep him be cos i like him . last season we finished 3rd and went to play off final but lose
All team go though a bad run .
1 win 16 games
But today a draw be good result and win would be brilliant
Come on you Uuuuuuurrrrssssszzzzz

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 17 Mar 2018 10:22

marcusopp

He has to go.

Stam is shocking, but the problem is with the board.
I'll bet they don't even know our last result.
It's a tax dodge for them, they couldn't give a shit about the club, same as anton!
We were so lucky under Madejski while other clubs were being destroyed, now it's our turn.
Stam should have been sacked before christmas, but he wasn't. I think we might just scrape survival, but i honestly don't care anymore.
When we were relegated from the PL under McD we had a shocking team. Our best players had left the club. Jay Tabb, who could barely get a game the previous season, was staring every game after Jem left, we were genuinely weaker. Now we've got loads of highly paid players who aren't performing and that comes down to the manager.

leave stam alone ! he doing ok
he not getting sacked or he no quitter
Jaap stam blue white army

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 17 Mar 2018 18:37

Sutekh The board obviously see Stam as the future and it'll take either him resigning or a likely plummet to Division 4 to get shot of him.

Commendable in one way, and he does bring so much to the club in terms of his profile etc., but there comes a worrying point when the goodwill earned from last season gets burnt off and blind faith takes over - it took over after the Birmingham embarrassment as far as I am concerned, but perhaps not for the board.

I would imagine Ron Gourlay (sp?) is trotting out the mantra of sticking with a Ferguson. He was very nearly binned after a season or so (can't remember actual details), but turned ManUre into a world force. That is the only thing I can think of why they are sticking with the Dutch oxf*rd, - that and the £3m / season pay-off of course.

Problem with the Ferguson scenario of course is that ManUre weren't going backwards under Ferguson, just not going forwards.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 18 Mar 2018 08:47

strap
Sutekh The board obviously see Stam as the future and it'll take either him resigning or a likely plummet to Division 4 to get shot of him.

I would imagine Ron Gourlay (sp?) is trotting out the mantra of sticking with a Ferguson. He was very nearly binned after a season or so (can't remember actual details), but turned ManUre into a world force. That is the only thing I can think of why they are sticking with the Dutch oxf*rd, - that and the £3m / season pay-off of course.

Problem with the Ferguson scenario of course is that ManUre weren't going backwards under Ferguson, just not going forwards.

£3m is chicken feed when you compare it to the losses that will be made in Div 1

141 posts