Thais set sights on Oxford

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

Thais set sights on Oxford

by ayjaydee » 16 Feb 2018 12:17

There is a rumour circulating that our erstwhile owners are set for another bout of asset stripping. There is a decent amount of car parking at the Kassam ripe for development.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Thais set sights on Oxford

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Feb 2018 12:28

ayjaydee There is a rumour circulating that our erstwhile owners are set for another bout of asset stripping. There is a decent amount of car parking at the Kassam ripe for development.

If I roll my eyes any further at these "rumours" I feel my eyes are going to be permanently stuck in the back of my eye sockets.

One87One

by One87One » 16 Feb 2018 23:30

They’ve been sniffing around Oxford for some months. Would they not have to sell up all their shares with us (fingers crossed) before they can buy Oxford?

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 22 Feb 2018 19:59

Tiger is now majority shareholder at Oxford.

Was asset stripping all along it seems.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 23 Feb 2018 09:13

One87One They’ve been sniffing around Oxford for some months. Would they not have to sell up all their shares with us (fingers crossed) before they can buy Oxford?

Apparently not...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43154066

They must have their eye on something. Clearly all they wanted here was the land.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 23 Feb 2018 10:00

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 23 Feb 2018 10:47

I thought only Sasima left after they sold to the Chinese, does that not constitute a conflict of interests?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 23 Feb 2018 10:52

I wonder if Samuelson has any involvement in the Oxford takeover. He seemed to be the pantomime villain in our dealings with the Thais did he not?

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 23 Feb 2018 11:04

tidus_mi2 I thought only Sasima left after they sold to the Chinese, does that not constitute a conflict of interests?

Good question. I guess we'll have to wait to see what the FA and other relevant bodies have to say about the whole saga.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 23 Feb 2018 11:27

tidus_mi2
ayjaydee There is a rumour circulating that our erstwhile owners are set for another bout of asset stripping. There is a decent amount of car parking at the Kassam ripe for development.

If I roll my eyes any further at these "rumours" I feel my eyes are going to be permanently stuck in the back of my eye sockets.

No more "rolling of eyes" then?
I may not post often but quality is better than quantity

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 23 Feb 2018 12:37

Oxford don`t actually own their ground so I`m not sure if development on the car park site is an option.

Few people on social media suggesting the TV merger could resurface again. :D

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 23 Feb 2018 12:46

ayjaydee
tidus_mi2

You said current owners, I inferred that as referring to the Chinese but I concede that would encompass the Thais too.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 23 Feb 2018 13:49

One87One They’ve been sniffing around Oxford for some months. Would they not have to sell up all their shares with us (fingers crossed) before they can buy Oxford?

As "Tiger" has no involvement in Reading FC, apart from Royal Elm Park, which I think now has nothing to do with our club, there is nothing to stop this going ahead. Only one of the Thai's has shares in Reading FC, so as long as that person does not own Oxf*rd shares that won't be a problem either. What I can not understand is why after Tiger and co. seemed to asset strip us the EFL allowed the Thai(s) any where near another club. Doesn't give much hope for their "fit and proper person(s)" policy

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 26 Feb 2018 15:59

tidus_mi2
ayjaydee
tidus_mi2 If I roll my eyes any further at these "rumours" I feel my eyes are going to be permanently stuck in the back of my eye sockets.

You said current owners, I inferred that as referring to the Chinese but I concede that would encompass the Thais too.

Lol, go and look up what erstwhile means.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Feb 2018 18:47

PieEater
tidus_mi2
ayjaydee No more "rolling of eyes" then?

Lol, go and look up what erstwhile means.

Admittedly didn't know what that word means so I'm wrong on all counts, could have used a more commonly used word I suppose but whatever.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Feb 2018 22:58

I was in Oxford today - the local newspaper seems to think it’s the beginning of a golden age for the club. No mention of the shenanigans at Reading.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 27 Feb 2018 02:55

The Royal Forester

As "Tiger" has no involvement in Reading FC, apart from Royal Elm Park, which I think now has nothing to do with our club, there is nothing to stop this going ahead. Only one of the Thai's has shares in Reading FC, so as long as that person does not own Oxf*rd shares that won't be a problem either. What I can not understand is why after Tiger and co. seemed to asset strip us the EFL allowed the Thai(s) any where near another club. Doesn't give much hope for their "fit and proper person(s)" policy

Maybe they didn't actually asset strip us. How about an alternative version, they came in, provided much needed funds to keep the club afloat and knew that they wouldn't end up losing the money as they'd make it back on Royal Elm Park, they had a bit of a go at running the club and realised that is way to expensive for them and they were unlikely to make a return.

If they could be shown to have asset striped then surely the FA would have been involved in stopping the Oxford take over.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Feb 2018 12:11

10539.4 Miles Away
The Royal Forester

Maybe they didn't actually asset strip us. How about an alternative version, they came in, provided much needed funds to keep the club afloat and knew that they wouldn't end up losing the money as they'd make it back on Royal Elm Park, they had a bit of a go at running the club and realised that is way to expensive for them and they were unlikely to make a return.

If they could be shown to have asset striped then surely the FA would have been involved in stopping the Oxford take over.

Agreed. They "asset stripped" a car park which they are planning to replace with a multi storey car park, conference/concert venue and a hotel. At the time, the alternative was a bunch of carpetbaggers led by Samuelson or administration.

I actually think they come out of their ownership with some credit. Not perfect by any means but a step in the right direction.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Feb 2018 17:33

From Despair To Where?
10539.4 Miles Away
The Royal Forester As "Tiger" has no involvement in Reading FC, apart from Royal Elm Park, which I think now has nothing to do with our club, there is nothing to stop this going ahead. Only one of the Thai's has shares in Reading FC, so as long as that person does not own Oxf*rd shares that won't be a problem either. What I can not understand is why after Tiger and co. seemed to asset strip us the EFL allowed the Thai(s) any where near another club. Doesn't give much hope for their "fit and proper person(s)" policy

Agreed. They "asset stripped" a car park which they are planning to replace with a multi storey car park, conference/concert venue and a hotel. At the time, the alternative was a bunch of carpetbaggers led by Samuelson or administration.

I actually think they come out of their ownership with some credit. Not perfect by any means but a step in the right direction.

Agreed, the 'asset-stripped' to improve the asset. As long as they don't own the stadium or the training ground, which as far as I can tell they don't, there is no real asset that I am fussed about losing, allowing for it to improve the local area.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 27 Feb 2018 18:14

They may have "asset stripped" only the car park and other bits that RFC owned. The club now has a lower value of assets than they did before. If god forbid, RFC gets close to administration, that could knock a few million of our value which could mean the difference of going under or staying afloat without lost points etc. Pessimistic way of looking at things I know, but anything is possible these days.