Nicky Hammond Leaves WBA

strap
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Nicky Hammond Leaves WBA

by strap » 13 Apr 2018 13:51

Stranded
strap
Frankly I fear we are stuck with BT due to the impact of Rooney's Rule, (or whatever it's called these days).

Sorry strap, but that comes across as borderline racist there. Plus there is no Rooney rule in English football.

Oh please! Best man/woman (happy?) for the job, NOT quotas based on race, religion, gender, gender orientation, physically disability, mentally disability, (have I missed any "minority" - if so apologies for offence caused), etc etc.

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42269787/[url]

Apologies if FACTS don't suit your agenda.

Non-whites under represented in non-playing activities at clubs, FACT, and over-represented on the playing side, FACT. Quite who in power determines the "correct" level of "representation" is never disclosed of course. Presumably it is a member of the so-called "injured minority"?

As more and more non-whites retire and enter the market-place for non-playing activities, their numbers WILL increase. It is just a matter of time. Quotas will NOT not change the situation one iota, well not for the better anyway.

Based on personal experience, I have a huge issue with quotas based on anything other than skill-sets. It has destroyed one company I worked for in the Middle East in the past so I have a vague clue of what I am talking about. Anyway that is my issue. If you read that as racist that is your issue.

Rant over.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Apr 2018 13:55

Tilehurstsouthbank
Old Man Andrews
NeilD http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43737853

BBC Sport -

West Brom technical director Nick Hammond has left the club as part of the Baggies' plans to restructure.

Hammond joined the club in April 2016 having previously been director of football at Reading, where he worked with manager Alan Pardew, who parted company with West Brom this month.

Hammond wished the club "every success" as he "moves on to future projects".

Would people want him back at Reading?

He managed to get Derby to pay £3 million for Nick Blackman. The bloke is a hero.

He also got 500k for Andy Hughes in the last year of the players contract. That is the work of the Messiah!

This will always be the deal that sticks out in my mind.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Apr 2018 14:14

strap
Stranded
strap
Frankly I fear we are stuck with BT due to the impact of Rooney's Rule, (or whatever it's called these days).

Sorry strap, but that comes across as borderline racist there. Plus there is no Rooney rule in English football.

Oh please! Best man/woman (happy?) for the job, NOT quotas based on race, religion, gender, gender orientation, physically disability, mentally disability, (have I missed any "minority" - if so apologies for offence caused), etc etc.

Non-whites under represented in non-playing activities at clubs, FACT, and over-represented on the playing side, FACT. Quite who in power determines the "correct" level of "representation" is never disclosed of course. Presumably it is a member of the so-called "injured minority"?

As more and more non-whites retire and enter the market-place for non-playing activities, their numbers WILL increase. It is just a matter of time. Quotas will NOT not change the situation one iota, well not for the better anyway.

Based on personal experience, I have a huge issue with quotas based on anything other than skill-sets. It has destroyed one company I worked for in the Middle East in the past so I have a vague clue of what I am talking about. Anyway that is my issue. If you read that as racist that is your issue.

Rant over.

I have no agenda, just found your comment off and decided to call you out on it. You've intimated that BT is only in the role because he is black. I'm sorry but that is bollocks. The link doesn't even support your argument. No BAME individual gets a job because they are BAME.

The Rooney Rule guarantees an interview, not a job, it just asks a club to interview someone who will have experience in the game and may bring in new blood - doesn't mean it will get them a job but in some cases a surprisingly good candidate may emerge. In fact the article states, they don't even need to interview, so the rule is pretty moot for the majority of appointments.

The article also states the rule is there for coaching roles, BT is not a coach so his appointment or any subsequent firing is absolutely nothing to do with quotas. If the club think he is not up to scratch, they can fire him and hire who the hell they want. They don't even need to interview a BAME as BT's role is not a coaching role so not covered by the rule.

If clubs were forced to employ a certain number of BAME people, just because, you would have a point but your comment came across as "He's black, we're stuck with him" - if you did not intend that to be racist, fine, but that is how it read as well as being factually incorrect.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 13 Apr 2018 14:14

Hendo
Tilehurstsouthbank
Old Man Andrews
He managed to get Derby to pay £3 million for Nick Blackman. The bloke is a hero.

He also got 500k for Andy Hughes in the last year of the players contract. That is the work of the Messiah!

This will always be the deal that sticks out in my mind.

If he'd have got a Mars bar and some belly button fluff for Hughesy he would still have been a legend!

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 13 Apr 2018 15:20

strap I was one of the many singling him out for abuse in his early days as RFC's DoF - and he proved me an UTTER bell-end by the time he left, (which to be fair isn't a hard task :oops: ). I suppose the old adage is "never go back", but frankly most on HNA could do a better job of signing players than BT, so why not? Just imagine, he might actually get a fee for the likes of Blackett, Clement (P), Aluko et al!

What's wrong with Pelle Clement?

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 13 Apr 2018 18:53

Stranded
strap
Stranded

Rant over.

I have no agenda, just found your comment off and decided to call you out on it. You've intimated that BT is only in the role because he is black. I'm sorry but that is bollocks. The link doesn't even support your argument. No BAME individual gets a job because they are BAME.

The Rooney Rule guarantees an interview, not a job, it just asks a club to interview someone who will have experience in the game and may bring in new blood - doesn't mean it will get them a job but in some cases a surprisingly good candidate may emerge. In fact the article states, they don't even need to interview, so the rule is pretty moot for the majority of appointments.

The article also states the rule is there for coaching roles, BT is not a coach so his appointment or any subsequent firing is absolutely nothing to do with quotas. If the club think he is not up to scratch, they can fire him and hire who the hell they want. They don't even need to interview a BAME as BT's role is not a coaching role so not covered by the rule.

If clubs were forced to employ a certain number of BAME people, just because, you would have a point but your comment came across as "He's black, we're stuck with him" - if you did not intend that to be racist, fine, but that is how it read as well as being factually incorrect.

Every time he mentioned Stam's name, he'd say 'that Dutch this' and 'that Dutch that' ... when I called him out on it he seemed to be utterly confused. As he showed on a few PMs that ensued, Strap has more brain cells than many on here, but that doesn't prevent him from being, ahem, old fashioned.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2018 09:58

Stranded
strap
Stranded

Rant over.

+1 very sorry to say strap, you're coming across as an ignorant bigot and you're far better than that.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Apr 2018 12:05

No thanks. Did a great job shifting dead weight and we probably need to do that this summer but it's very easy to hinder progress by going back to the familiar. BT should improve with time and gain more contacts and insight into the English game.

Also as someone said West Brom hasn't exactly gone well has it.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Apr 2018 19:34

PistolPete
Every time he mentioned Stam's name, he'd say 'that Dutch this' and 'that Dutch that' ... when I called him out on it he seemed to be utterly confused. As he showed on a few PMs that ensued, Strap has more brain cells than many on here, but that doesn't prevent him from being, ahem, old fashioned.

Don't forget him constantly calling Steve Clarke "Scottish Charlatan".

That "Rooney rule" comment is on a whole other level though :shock:

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 15 Apr 2018 20:51

Yep. Not surprised, just disappointed in you strap.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 16 Apr 2018 10:35

I'd take him back, most of the time he got it right with selling and bringing in the right kind of player to fit the Reading profile. Tevreden seems to have more interest in his other business on the side than this club if we went by his Instagram account.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Apr 2018 13:46

Well it looks like Tevreden will have less to do with transfers now, being made responsible for building out the relationship with KSV Roselare. Gourlay will be responsible for our transfer business - you can argue if this is a good or bad thing.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Apr 2018 13:55

I think some people have short memories with regard to BT, after last season he was getting a lot of praise for his work at the club but now he's the worst thing in the world.

That said, I'm sure we wouldn't have signed Aluko under NH, he would have pulled out of the deal long before they started asking in excess of £5m.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Apr 2018 20:19

tidus_mi2 I think some people have short memories with regard to BT, after last season he was getting a lot of praise for his work at the club but now he's the worst thing in the world.

Last year people were saying he was better than Hammond, so I think it's more that people have a tendency to over-react than people having short memories.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Apr 2018 08:49

I'd have squeaky back. He got us some great deals for players who weren't that good. He got us a legendary £3m for Blackman, getting £2.5m on Halford and nearly £5m on Matt Mills.

He wasn't perfect but played a big part in the most successful time the club has had.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 17 Apr 2018 12:19

Royal_jimmy I'd have squeaky back. He got us some great deals for players who weren't that good. He got us a legendary £3m for Blackman, getting £2.5m on Halford and nearly £5m on Matt Mills.

He wasn't perfect but played a big part in the most successful time the club has had.

But that might not reflect him being particularly good - but other clubs being very stupid. I think it would be better to judge him on what deals he made for us bringing players to the club that really strengthened the team and you got to say that he spectacularly failed in that respect when we were in the Premiership particularly for SC.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Apr 2018 16:17

Quite who in power determines the "correct" level of "representation" is never disclosed of course. Presumably it is a member of the so-called "injured minority"?

surely all theyre aiming for is for the level of representation to be vaguely similar to the levels of that minority in society as a whole/the game as a whole.