Summer Transfers

567 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Summer Transfers

by Hound » 30 May 2018 09:31

seems our friends from Brighton have also noticed Paddy McNair is a handy player. Apparently had a bid rejected.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 May 2018 22:41

Hound seems our friends from Brighton have also noticed Paddy McNair is a handy player. Apparently had a bid rejected.

Sunderland paid £5.5m, he's one of the few players that came out of last season with any credit and is still only 23 and Brighton offered £2m.

Considering they supposedly only bid £3m for Moore, they really do like taking the piss.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 31 May 2018 01:45

tidus_mi2
Hound seems our friends from Brighton have also noticed Paddy McNair is a handy player. Apparently had a bid rejected.

Sunderland paid £5.5m, he's one of the few players that came out of last season with any credit and is still only 23 and Brighton offered £2m.

Considering they supposedly only bid £3m for Moore, they really do like taking the piss.

It’s a nasty tactic employed by many clubs to try and unsettle players. Sheffield Wednesday attempted the same with bidding £500k(!) for Mulgrew

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 May 2018 10:43

On the other hand, the £5.5m fee paid was for McNair and Donald Love. Sunderland were in the Premiership at the time. They are now in League 1 and need to sell. Not many players suffer 2 successive relegations and increase their value.

Whilst I get that McNair is probably worth £5m+ no club will want to pay that and they know Sunderland will blink first in any standoff.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 May 2018 11:09

Not sure whether Sunderland need to sell since the takeover, unless again like Villa it would be for FFP

McNair certainly won’t want to play in Div1 though if a Prem team are in for him

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 May 2018 14:26

TiagoIlori
tidus_mi2

It’s a nasty tactic employed by many clubs to try and unsettle players. Sheffield Wednesday attempted the same with bidding £500k(!) for Mulgrew

Like that time we “bid” for Gylfi back in the prem?

One87One

by One87One » 31 May 2018 14:47

tidus_mi2

Our opening offer for Aluko was £1m. We take the piss all the time. You don't know if you don't ask...

mambo3

by mambo3 » 31 May 2018 15:25

Sell half the Squad. Buy back all the Reading U23 Youth players Stam either sold or released and add top Class Players or 3.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 May 2018 15:26

Hound Not sure whether Sunderland need to sell since the takeover, unless again like Villa it would be for FFP

McNair certainly won’t want to play in Div1 though if a Prem team are in for him

Winston posted this on the "Clubs in financial crisis" thread

Winston Biscuit https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/sunderlands-running-costs-scary-must-14721022

League One - with Stewart Donald revealing the club’s ‘scary’ running costs equal those of seven or eight third tier clubs combined.

Ellis Short cleared the club’s £125m debt as part of the deal that saw him sell to Donald in a £40m deal earlier this month but that still left the new owner with a lossmaking club which costs a small fortune to run - even before player wages are factored in.

And aside from the comparison with the running costs of other League One sides, Donald also says Sunderland’s cost-base is higher than the entire turnover of 20 teams in League Two.
Read More

Back-to-back relegations will see club’s TV revenue plummet 98 per cent next season, when compared to their earnings in the Premier League the season before last.

Donald has already begun cutting costs, with a number of staff members leaving the club last week either through redundancy, retirement, or leaving for other jobs, while senior executives who are staying on will take a significant pay cut.

Asked about the club’s financial situation, Donald said: “Obviously the numbers didn’t surprise me because I had them to formulate an offer but was I surprised how bad they were?

“Yes. You look at Sunderland, the fanbase, the stadium, the potential, you think it should be functioning pretty well.

“Then you look at the cost-base and you find that excluding players, running this club costs more than 20 teams in League Two turnover, and that’s before we pay a footballer.

“That is quite scary. You could put together seven or eight teams in League One and that would cost the same as the cost-base here, before you pay a player.

“So when you go into League One you think you’ve got a massive financial advantage, well we’ve actually got a financial burden

Certainly suggests they desperately need to reduce costs.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 May 2018 16:07

One87One
tidus_mi2

Our opening offer for Aluko was £1m. We take the piss all the time. You don't know if you don't ask...

The only piss take about that initial offer was that it had million after it.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 05 Jun 2018 09:22

how in gods name did we spend so much last year and yet still be in need of two strikers, a physical midfielder, a winger, a left back, a right back, two centre backs and a keeper?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jun 2018 11:50

Maneki Neko how in gods name did we spend so much last year and yet still be in need of two strikers, a physical midfielder, a winger, a left back, a right back, two centre backs and a keeper?

Because we don't?

One striker to add to Bod, Novakovich, Yann + 1 of Smith/Loader
Midfielder - yep 100% we do
Winger - We have Aluko, Barrow, McCleary, Popa and Meite. Though I can see the logic in trying to bring someone else in.
Left back - Obita and Richards
Right Back - Gunter and Yiadom
Centre Backs - Moore, Ilori, McShane and Blackett. Could argue for 1 more. def not 2
Keeper - Mannone is fine.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jun 2018 12:07

wonder if this is us, from that publicity shy Peterboro chairman:

So @theposhofficial have accepted a SEVEN figure transfer fee for one of our players today. The player has been given permission to talk terms etc. Thats all for today :)

Tommio

by Tommio » 05 Jun 2018 15:21

Hound wonder if this is us, from that publicity shy Peterboro chairman:

So @theposhofficial have accepted a SEVEN figure transfer fee for one of our players today. The player has been given permission to talk terms etc. Thats all for today :)

Nope, was Da Silva Lopes to Wigan that he was referring to

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 05 Jun 2018 15:24

Hound wonder if this is us, from that publicity shy Peterboro chairman:

Was Leo da Silva Lopes to Wigan.

Unappreciated at Peterborough but looks like he'll be a handy player one day (versatile too), surprised he's gone to the Championship yet, and gone for that much, but the potential is definitely there. Only 19.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 05 Jun 2018 16:06

Hound
Maneki Neko how in gods name did we spend so much last year and yet still be in need of two strikers, a physical midfielder, a winger, a left back, a right back, two centre backs and a keeper?

Because we don't?

One striker to add to Bod, Novakovich, Yann + 1 of Smith/Loader
Midfielder - yep 100% we do
Winger - We have Aluko, Barrow, McCleary, Popa and Meite. Though I can see the logic in trying to bring someone else in.
Left back - Obita and Richards
Right Back - Gunter and Yiadom
Centre Backs - Moore, Ilori, McShane and Blackett. Could argue for 1 more. def not 2
Keeper - Mannone is fine.

Yann? it was a huge mistake to rely on him regaining his last hurrah form for last season, let alone this when he is yet another year older.
Bod had enough game time to prove he isn't the answer to anyones goal deficiencies, as much as I like him for trying.
id very much like novakovich to be one of the options but imo you cant go in with him AND smith/loader if your main options are 1 new striker and Bod

Mcleary is gone-fitness wise, Aluko is terrible, popa and meite might be a decent enough player if you combined the two of them
ill give you Obita and Richards-id happily go with that, just not sure clement/owners will
Yiadom was one of the players we needed to bring in.
Blackett is just awful & Mcshane looked shot last year.
mannone is ok I guess.

IMO

Elmparkoid

by Elmparkoid » 07 Jun 2018 20:06

We already have three. Imagining that a decent Striker is on the radar and that someone like Maddison may join, I would love to see a couple of loans of top Premiership trainees joined, specifically with pace and/or technique. does anyone have a name we might look at?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 08 Jun 2018 22:43

Elmparkoid We already have three. Imagining that a decent Striker is on the radar and that someone like Maddison may join, I would love to see a couple of loans of top Premiership trainees joined, specifically with pace and/or technique. does anyone have a name we might look at?

We were linked with Mason amount (Chelsea on loan at Vitesse) which would be an absolute coup but it’s gone a bit quiet. If Maddison comes in I don’t see us signing another attacking midfielder. Ideally I’d like 2 new strikers and a top class winger. If Moore goes I’d want a a genuine replacement (and no John O’Shea doesn’t count).

Not asking for much am I? :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jun 2018 10:38

Obviously what we need depends on how PC wants the team to shape up.

He could decide he wants to play three at the back with wing backs and two upfront (like England), 4-3-3 with genuine winger crossing in, 4-3-3 with narrower wide forwards cutting inside, traditional 4-4-2...

Whatever he decides, I'd like to see it include changes to make it more attacking if we're behind and more defensive if we want to hold. And more than just chuck on an individual to fit in the same shape and make a difference.

Assuming he wants to stick with Stam's winger 4-3-3, he's got a huge amount of work to do as we've only got one proven decent winger not the four we need. Midfield is missing a key component, but there is plenty of potential in Kelly, Bacuna, Swift and Edwards if Clement can harness it / Swift's legs don't fall off.

Obviously we need another striker, I'd be happy with just one of quality. I like Bod and Nova should be the second more speculative signing we otherwise need. With Loader and Smith we don't need a fourth striker for just one starting position. (Obviously excluding Kermie).

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Jun 2018 12:13

Not the nicest of men but Jon Flanagan is available on a free..

567 posts