Summer Transfers

567 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Summer Transfers

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Jun 2018 15:00

muirinho
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Gunter has literally just had his replacement signed having had free reign at right back for half a decade. If there's an obvious player to make an assumption about its him.

Blackett was hardly at the top of Stam's list and got dropped plenty by him.

I figured Gunter is too soft to say something about the current manager.

Get where you're coming from, but Gunter is nearly 29, with a decade of experience at this level behind him. He is more likely to be regarded as an "older" player, and, all things being equal, to get the nod over a younger less experienced player. If the comments are true it sounds like Clement won't be terribly interested in using Richards or Watson too much. I doubt he will be too worried about potential lack of playing time, given there's two full-back positions, and only three senior players, one of whom is coming back from a long layoff. if anything he's safer with Clement than with a manager who's gung-ho about getting the youth involved.

So, if he said anything, it would be as an observer, where it's not going to matter to him either way, than as somebody being negative because he's worried about his own position.

Gunter is 29?? I feel a bit stupid now thinking about it. He still seemed like a 26 year old.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 26 Jun 2018 15:18

NewCorkSeth
muirinho
NewCorkSeth I figured Gunter is too soft to say something about the current manager.

Get where you're coming from, but Gunter is nearly 29, with a decade of experience at this level behind him. He is more likely to be regarded as an "older" player, and, all things being equal, to get the nod over a younger less experienced player. If the comments are true it sounds like Clement won't be terribly interested in using Richards or Watson too much. I doubt he will be too worried about potential lack of playing time, given there's two full-back positions, and only three senior players, one of whom is coming back from a long layoff. if anything he's safer with Clement than with a manager who's gung-ho about getting the youth involved.

So, if he said anything, it would be as an observer, where it's not going to matter to him either way, than as somebody being negative because he's worried about his own position.

Gunter is 29?? I feel a bit stupid now thinking about it. He still seemed like a 26 year old.

No kids, therefore less grey hairs.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 26 Jun 2018 15:28

John Smith
Wycombe Royal
CountryRoyal 100% Gunter.

Not Gunter, and I'm not going to say who it is, but I have seen photographic evidence of them meeting this player. He probably had his guard down as my friend is not a Reading fan and didn't meet him round here.

Wouldn't be surprised if this player is looking for a move though.

Personally I'm not bothered if players like the manager or not, as long as they respect them. However I don't like the idea of not giving the youth a chance. We spend a lot of money on maintaining and improving our academy so if we aren't going to look at bringing those players through to the first team then we may as well not bother. I assume all those close to the first team Smith, Rinomhota, Watson, Richards, Loader, etc will be sent out on loan.

Just oxf*rd say who it was - no one is going to find out who you are or whether it was you who broke the story. You can't come on here spouting rumours if you haven't got the balls to back it up. Spill.

I can come on here and spout what I like and if you don't want to believe then that is your choice. I just thought it was an interesting bit of information from inside the club.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 26 Jun 2018 15:38

Wycombe Royal
John Smith
Wycombe Royal Not Gunter, and I'm not going to say who it is, but I have seen photographic evidence of them meeting this player. He probably had his guard down as my friend is not a Reading fan and didn't meet him round here.

Personally I'm not bothered if players like the manager or not, as long as they respect them. However I don't like the idea of not giving the youth a chance. We spend a lot of money on maintaining and improving our academy so if we aren't going to look at bringing those players through to the first team then we may as well not bother. I assume all those close to the first team Smith, Rinomhota, Watson, Richards, Loader, etc will be sent out on loan.

Just oxf*rd say who it was - no one is going to find out who you are or whether it was you who broke the story. You can't come on here spouting rumours if you haven't got the balls to back it up. Spill.

I can come on here and spout what I like and if you don't want to believe then that is your choice. I just thought it was an interesting bit of information from inside the club.

Exactly. And besides it's much more entertaining to speculate. Coming out and saying who it is straight off is not anything like as much fun!

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 26 Jun 2018 15:58

Wycombe Royal I can come on here and spout what I like and if you don't want to believe then that is your choice. I just thought it was an interesting bit of information from inside the club.

Interesting information? You haven't provided any!

Why don't you take your breaking headlines to the Wycombe Wanderers forum instead

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 26 Jun 2018 16:09

Wycombe Royal Someone I know spoke to a current player at the weekend and basically said that he loved Jaap Stam but can't say the same for Paul Clement. He also said that youth will not get much a chance under Clement and that it is all about experience and the "older" players....so John O'Shea and David Meyler are the type of signings we can expect and also fits with Novakovich going out on loan again.

This player is not a youth player himself......

Yep, yiadom will probably be our only 'young' signing. And if his time.with derby is anything to go by, a lot of he u23 and academy players who were training with the first team last season will find themselves back in a separate group.
Big shift in strategy from the previous management.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 26 Jun 2018 16:24

Wycombe Royal
CountryRoyal 100% Gunter.

Not Gunter, and I'm not going to say who it is, but I have seen photographic evidence of them meeting this player. He probably had his guard down as my friend is not a Reading fan and didn't meet him round here.

Bullshit then basically?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 26 Jun 2018 16:31

John Smith
Wycombe Royal I can come on here and spout what I like and if you don't want to believe then that is your choice. I just thought it was an interesting bit of information from inside the club.

Interesting information? You haven't provided any!

Why don't you take your breaking headlines to the Wycombe Wanderers forum instead

I'm surprised a name means that much to you...seems to have got you all wound up. Bless......

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jun 2018 19:37

Thanks Wycombe, taken with a pinch of salt obviously, but interesting to hear as long as it's not taken as gospel nonetheless.

I'm not sure a lot of our youngsters are really pushing that close to the first team anyway.

Watson - injured for ages and hasn't looked great in the odds and ends I've seen him in for the youth side
Richards - good to see him get his chance, but didn't really look up to it, at least not with the non-support he got (would get) from Barrow
Rinomhota - I've liked what I've seen but didn't seem close even before Clement
Andressen - same
Holmes - promising but didn't look ready at all
Smith - very raw
Loader - similar

All of them could do with a loan to be honest. The one player you'd have said was closest (just to piss off John Smith) was Nova so he's a bit of a disappointment.

Can't help but feel we missed the boat on not giving Tanner, Hyam, Dickie, Stacey, Fosu, Keown et al a go a year or two ago.

I though one of the problems with the side last year was that it didn't have any youthful exuberance and determination to have a go in the right places. It was trained out of Kelly. SMith at least worried defenders by making them work and move a bit. Rather than a lack of experience, there were too many experienced players cruising around not really having the drive to get up, take the season by the scruff of the neck and achieve something.

Another reason why the (obligatory reference to piss off genome) O'Shea signing irritated me. What's a final season in the Championship finishing 14th - 24th to John O'Shea? It's just an extra few quid in his pocket for retirement. He's not going to have any burning desire to finish 6th in the English second tier is he!

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 27 Jun 2018 00:55

Wycombe Royal Someone I know spoke to a current player at the weekend and basically said that he loved Jaap Stam but can't say the same for Paul Clement. He also said that youth will not get much a chance under Clement and that it is all about experience and the "older" players....so John O'Shea and David Meyler are the type of signings we can expect and also fits with Novakovich going out on loan again.

This player is not a youth player himself......

Hardly fcuking surprised. The players were getting an easy ride under Jaap Stam.

Clement set individual goals for every man this summer break. He means business and his players won't like that whilst they're sunning themselves in Marbs.

'All about experience and older players'. Give me a break. Nobody has won the championship playing their kids. He'll get a blend like all the previous.

Who gives a shit. It's apparent they have come back early and will need to play for their places under Clement. Unlike the laborious oxf*rd 19 game winless run we had last year, with zero effort from that over paid shite we had to endure.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 27 Jun 2018 00:58

'he loved Jaap but can't say the same for Clement' :lol: rememeber when we weren't allowed to boo because it hurt the players feelings. It was all the fans fault at one point. This sort of crap really does make me laugh :lol:

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 27 Jun 2018 10:22

Snowflake Royal All of them could do with a loan to be honest. The one player you'd have said was closest (just to piss off John Smith) was Nova so he's a bit of a disappointment.

Disagree - he's been shipped out to a dross league (again) quite clearly because he can't cut it. Simple.

Snowflake Royal Can't help but feel we missed the boat on not giving Tanner, Hyam, Dickie, Stacey, Fosu, Keown et al a go a year or two ago.

Those 4 who are currently playing at League1/2 level? Doesn't that tell you they're not good enough?

Snowflake Royal Another reason why the (obligatory reference to piss off genome) O'Shea signing irritated me. What's a final season in the Championship finishing 14th - 24th to John O'Shea? It's just an extra few quid in his pocket for retirement. He's not going to have any burning desire to finish 6th in the English second tier is he!

Disagree. It's a shocking signing in my opinion, don't get me wrong, but a pro is a pro and O'Shea has a winning mentality embedded in him. The only benefit he's bringing is his qualities off the pitch.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Jun 2018 12:44

John Smith O'Shea has a winning mentality embedded in him. The only benefit he's bringing is his qualities off the pitch.

I’m not sure 7 seasons with Sunderland does much for a “winning mentality”, and if his off the field qualities are so oxf*rd great why couldn’t he do anything to help that basket case of club avoid successive relegations.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jun 2018 14:17

PC: "We move into a critical period now when we look to do something in the striker position. Hopefully that will be more than one player. We’re confident we’re going to bring one or two quality centre forwards"

This is quoting from Courtney F, so accuracy not guaranteed obvs

Also, only looking at CFs, not currently trying to sign Elphick. Popa and Meite in the mix for next year.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Jun 2018 14:29

Clement's said that's the only position we're looking at too. Which leads me to believe Meite and Popa will be staying to challenge Barrow and Aluko. Jury's out on Meite but Popa is a good player, undeservedly frozen out under Stam.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jun 2018 14:32

If Harriott is genuinely fit, we have him, Barrow, Meite, Aluko, Popa and Harriott to choose from. Plus McCleary if he is ever fit again. We should be ok there really

I quite liked what I saw of Meite 2 years back

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Jun 2018 14:38

Hound If Harriott is genuinely fit, we have him, Barrow, Meite, Aluko, Popa and Harriott to choose from. Plus McCleary if he is ever fit again. We should be ok there really

Paul Clement said in today's press conference that both Popa and Meite will get a chance to impress....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jun 2018 14:41

Obita and Richards not in training yet unfortunately. Can't see Obita making the start of the season tbh

edit: "Obita could be back by October. McCleary ahead of schedule. @Ckharriott training well"

so likely Gunter LB, Yiadom RB til about Christmas I suspect

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Jun 2018 18:59

Sutekh
Hound If Harriott is genuinely fit, we have him, Barrow, Meite, Aluko, Popa and Harriott to choose from. Plus McCleary if he is ever fit again. We should be ok there really

Paul Clement said in today's press conference that both Popa and Meite will get a chance to impress....

With players returning to the club we have plenty of options out wide. Mannone is nailed on in goal.
I expect Gunter and Yiadom to be our two full backs at the start of the season. Hopefully Obita will challenge in the Autumn. Centre backs Moore and Ilori and if the former leaves it will be Ilori and new signing. Meyler nailed on at CDM
Barrow and probably Aluko on the flanks. I suspect Swift to start in central midfield but with who? I just don’t think we can afford to play Kelly alongside him. It wouldn’t surprise me if he starts with Edwards.

Up front who knows? If Clement is after two strikers then I expect Smith to go out on loan with Bodvarsson and new striker on the bench. The other new striker will start.Difficult to see Kermorgant being at all involved.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Jun 2018 20:30

Ugh the thought of having to watch Edwards and Aluko again next year has just depressed the shit out of me. I’m not ready to properly think about us yet.

567 posts