Summer Transfers

567 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Summer Transfers

by Hound » 27 Jun 2018 20:44

Yep, would rather never see them play for us again

Difference is hopefully that PC Will at least have options if we keep hold of Popa, Meite and Harriott on the wing. Swift and Bacuna/Kelly ahead of Meyler sounds fairly encouraging. Swift&Kelly did ok together the season before last

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Jun 2018 20:48

CountryRoyal Ugh the thought of having to watch Edwards and Aluko again next year has just depressed the shit out of me. I’m not ready to properly think about us yet.

The problem is who are the three in midfield? Meyler is a cert and I think Swift is likely. For balance the other options are poor. Aluko now has a lot more competition so if he underperforms he’s out.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Jun 2018 21:01

Zip
CountryRoyal Ugh the thought of having to watch Edwards and Aluko again next year has just depressed the shit out of me. I’m not ready to properly think about us yet.

The problem is who are the three in midfield? Meyler is a cert and I think Swift is likely. For balance the other options are poor. Aluko now has a lot more competition so if he underperforms he’s out.

Bacuna surely? Agree Swift and Kelly look pony together.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jun 2018 21:25

They were fine together in our play off season

Awful last year agree, but in the right system with a good DM they could play together

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Jun 2018 21:42

CountryRoyal
Zip

Bacuna surely? Agree Swift and Kelly look pony together.

Possibly. I thought he was the answer last season but was very inconsistent.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jun 2018 21:47

CountryRoyal
John Smith O'Shea has a winning mentality embedded in him. The only benefit he's bringing is his qualities off the pitch.

I’m not sure 7 seasons with Sunderland does much for a “winning mentality”, and if his off the field qualities are so oxf*rd great why couldn’t he do anything to help that basket case of club avoid successive relegations.

Quite. Two seasons avoiding relegation by the skin of their teeth followed by two seasons of relegation. What an excellent winning mentality.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jun 2018 21:59

Really don’t see O’Shea playing very much at all. Very much 4th choice behind Moore, Ilori and McShane

Not a fan of the signing but do feel far too much significance been put on it. Bit of cover who can come in when needed

Would happily see us go 4-4-2 with 2 of Meyler, Swift, Bacuna and Kelly in the middle, Barrow wide left and one of the other wingers on the right. Bod & new signing up front.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 27 Jun 2018 23:38

No mention from posters at all of Evans & Blackett. 2 players who have come through arguably some of the best football academies in the country.

Admittedly neither were up to it last season. But I just get the feeling they will do well under Clement. Both still young and both will prove good back up this year.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jun 2018 07:46

Noticed Blackett wasn’t mentioned by PC as one of our 4 CBs

Don’t rate Evans personally

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jun 2018 07:56

I personally think it is going to be a long summer. Seems the money is only there for a decent striker which is good news but we need a whole new midfield too. We have the most lightweight midfield in English football.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 28 Jun 2018 08:53

Old Man Andrews I personally think it is going to be a long summer. Seems the money is only there for a decent striker which is good news but we need a whole new midfield too. We have the most lightweight midfield in English football.

I know there have been various enquiries for strikers and these are still ongoing and as you say there is a sizeable budget for a striker

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jun 2018 09:00

Old Man Andrews I personally think it is going to be a long summer. Seems the money is only there for a decent striker which is good news but we need a whole new midfield too. We have the most lightweight midfield in English football.

Can't be that long a summer being as we only have a month now to get all our business done.

Depends who we play in midfield really and what Clement has in mind. Meyler/Bacuna and Edwards wouldn't be lightweight for example. Kelly, Swift and Evans would be. We need to get rid of a few midfielders rather than sign any more imo.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jun 2018 09:05

Hound

Can't be that long a summer being as we only have a month now to get all our business done.

Depends who we play in midfield really and what Clement has in mind. Meyler/Bacuna and Edwards wouldn't be lightweight for example. Kelly, Swift and Evans would be. We need to get rid of a few midfielders rather than sign any more imo.

How is Dave Edwards not lightweight? Why would you even mention him? He has to be sold.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jun 2018 09:12

ok Meyler, Joey and Bacuna then...

anyway point being is I don't think we need any more midfielders. We need to get rid of some - my list would be Edwards, Joey and Evans

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jun 2018 09:21

Hound ok Meyler, Joey and Bacuna then...

anyway point being is I don't think we need any more midfielders. We need to get rid of some - my list would be Edwards, Joey and Evans

I agree with that for sure.

Just think we need to get a player in who can do what Kelly and Swift do but isn't made of glass. Ideally an exciting kid on loan like Mason Mount would be nice. I think Swift needs that pressure on him in order to perform at the level he used to.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Jun 2018 09:34

Give both a chance, you never know under new management and with a few decent results you might be thinking the opposite.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 28 Jun 2018 10:28

Old Man Andrews How is Dave Edwards not lightweight? Why would you even mention him? He has to be sold.

He absolutely must. Never a truer post made on this forum

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2018 13:47

Old Man Andrews

Just think we need to get a player in who can do what Kelly and Swift do but isn't made of glass. Ideally an exciting kid on loan like Mason Mount would be nice. I think Swift needs that pressure on him in order to perform at the level he used to.

The only thing swift needs is working hamstrings and to put a bit of effort in.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jun 2018 13:49

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews

The only thing swift needs is working hamstrings and to put a bit of effort in.

Why would he need to put the effort in when he has no pressure on him? He has become lazy and complacent.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2018 13:57

That might be true if he'd been fit and playing week in week out. But seeing s he wasn't consistently playing even when mostly fit.

And if a player needs competition to perform, it's because they're not putting enough effort off their own back.

567 posts