Summer Transfers

567 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Summer Transfers

by Hound » 28 Jun 2018 14:00

think its a little unfair. Did you read the interview regarding his hammies? Potentially career ending at a decent level if it doesn't resolve. I can see why his form wasn't the best last year, and I doubt its for lack of effort

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 28 Jun 2018 14:50

Oh everybody on here knows exactly how much effort players are putting in, and every time they lose it's because they don't care and aren't trying hard enough. They're millionaires, didn't you know?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jun 2018 14:51

muirinho Oh everybody on here knows exactly how much effort players are putting in, and every time they lose it's because they don't care and aren't trying hard enough. They're millionaires, didn't you know?

Everyone on here has eyes and goes to games though. Assuming from your idiotic comment that you don't?

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 28 Jun 2018 15:00

Two bids from us rejected for Marc McNulty according to Sky Sports, second bid in excess of £500,000, falls well below Coventry's valuation of the striker.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jun 2018 15:02

RoyalJones Two bids from us rejected for Marc McNulty according to Sky Sports, second bid in excess of £500,000, falls well below Coventry's valuation of the striker.

When did SSN suddenly become ITK?

Looked good for Cov last year, would quite like this to happen

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jun 2018 15:04

Hound
RoyalJones Two bids from us rejected for Marc McNulty according to Sky Sports, second bid in excess of £500,000, falls well below Coventry's valuation of the striker.

Without wanting to be too judgemental he looked a bit weighty. Decent at League 2 level though. Would like him to have half a season in League 1, see how he adjusts to the step up in level.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 28 Jun 2018 15:08

Old Man Andrews
Hound

Without wanting to be too judgemental he looked a bit weighty. Decent at League 2 level though. Would like him to have half a season in League 1, see how he adjusts to the step up in level.

You can shed that in weeks

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jun 2018 15:16

Think he’s played a fair bit in L1 with mixed success

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jun 2018 15:19

Hound Think he’s played a fair bit in L1 with mixed success

I'd be worried about this one for that very reason. Think the chances are he just had a very decent season, I would prefer us to keep an eye on him until Christmas in League 1 and see how he does. Coventry probably going to be down the bottom end too, won't get as many chances as last season.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 28 Jun 2018 16:27

Old Man Andrews
muirinho Oh everybody on here knows exactly how much effort players are putting in, and every time they lose it's because they don't care and aren't trying hard enough. They're millionaires, didn't you know?

Everyone on here has eyes and goes to games though. Assuming from your idiotic comment that you don't?

I go to all the home games, and have done for years, however I don't pretend that my "eyes" know everything about how fit a player is nor what he is doing in comparison to what he has been instructed to do etc. And if he picks the wrong pass, I don't think it's because he did it deliberately to spite me, or because he doesn't have enough competition for his place, and therefore is playing badly just for the sheer hell of it.

Yet some people seem convinced that all that is needed for our players to win games is for them to try a bit harder, and get shouted at a bit more.

Must be so easy being a football manager.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2018 17:59

Hound think its a little unfair. Did you read the interview regarding his hammies? Potentially career ending at a decent level if it doesn't resolve. I can see why his form wasn't the best last year, and I doubt its for lack of effort

Possibly, but I'm not sure his issues should make his simple passing be too casual. And even pre injury he didn't put much work in to tracking his man or making a tackle. So I'll stand by it.

Tommio

by Tommio » 28 Jun 2018 22:13

Old Man Andrews
Hound Think he’s played a fair bit in L1 with mixed success

I'd be worried about this one for that very reason. Think the chances are he just had a very decent season, I would prefer us to keep an eye on him until Christmas in League 1 and see how he does. Coventry probably going to be down the bottom end too, won't get as many chances as last season.

So you want to wait for interest in him to rise and his price to skyrocket instead of taking a relatively low risk punt on him now?

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 29 Jun 2018 16:28

Hearing there could be a season-long loan bid being prepared for Shane Long...

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Jun 2018 16:47

gazzer, loyal royal Hearing there could be a season-long loan bid being prepared for Shane Long...

I know a lot aren’t in favour of him coming back, and I can certainly see their point.

But FCUK THAT. COME HOME LONGY.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 29 Jun 2018 16:52

gazzer, loyal royal Hearing there could be a season-long loan bid being prepared for Shane Long...

Source?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jun 2018 19:06

CountryRoyal

I know a lot aren’t in favour of him coming back, and I can certainly see their point.

Please no. I can't face the snowball spunkfest over how Long scoring three goals in 1000 minutes actually equates to 3 points against Bristol City and 13 million goals in the Premier League.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Jun 2018 19:11

If this happens I will take you in my mouth, I swear down.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Jun 2018 19:33

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal

Please no. I can't face the snowball spunkfest over how Long scoring three goals in 1000 minutes actually equates to 3 points against Bristol City and 13 million goals in the Premier League.

:lol: :lol:

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 30 Jun 2018 14:31

This may all be starting to fall into place.
Liam Moore 8 million + baldock
McNulty 2 million or looks that way
Maddison 3 million
3-4 million on an unknown central defender
Still leaving this unknown striker kitty.... personally I would like jack Marriott.
If this is how it all folded into place I would call that a good window.

106society

by 106society » 30 Jun 2018 16:42

Dear Reading manager,

Reading require a simple transfer policy to buy hungry team players example when we signed Doyle as backup for Kitson & Lita or play youth. What did retiring Les Ferdinand & Martin Keown achieved for us long term and added to high wage bill? I don't believe they contributed much and coaches are paid to develop the players. John O'Shea I feel will be a similar to Keown if played will prevent defensive opportunities and much needed real game time experience. Reading could invest wages elsewhere. Reading don't seem to back youth, managers should be bold and gamble on youth. Who was playing to contribute towards a clean sheet leading to Millwalls hungry win against Reading experienced no idea side at Mad Stad?

So many examples currently watching France v Argentina. A young fresh Mbappe or old experienced Messi. I would buy hungry youth players all the time. Pace scares defenders, step forward Mo Barrow easily our most exciting player, use Mo in counter attacks.

Don't players players out of position Grabban 3 goals in 20 games when played on wing or behind another forward. Grabban finished the runner up in Golden Boot to winner Matěj Vydra after scoring 20 goals in the competition (for both Aston Villa and impressive form in poor Sunderland team combined) last season. We can obviously attract strikers and then not manage/play to their strengths. Imagine if Reading had Grabban on season loan and paid extra £0.5m for Vydra instead of Aluko. These 2 strikers alone could of help us score around 40 goals last season. However Reading need to work as a team and not individually.

Practice inventive set pieces and communication. An example is Englands recent free kick against Panama every England player talked, knew their task and executed plan perfectly.

Reading manager needs to be decisive never let defenders take penalties just as last resource. Example Liam Moore's miss against Huddlesfield. Defenders are trained to lean back and where to strike the ball to go over the bar to not score own goals. Always strikers on pens and if shootout 5 attacking players. More likely to score than defenders and wrong attitude if don't take pen as attacking midfielders/wingers secondary job function to assists is to score goals and midfielders have better accuracy. I think Jaap should have been assertive and persuaded Gareth McCleary to take penalty.

No strikers take corners example Harry Kane at last Euros, forwards near the goal for potential headers and rebounds on corners. Defenders as well to head the ball and physical presence.

Possession in our half can count for nothing take risks. Reading don't have ideas or a plan B. Plan A attack could get conventional goal from foot or head, plan B attack again trip or block resulting in a pen/free kick, deflected goal. Plan C DON'T PLAY SLOW TEMPO POSSESSION FOOTBALL IN OWN HALF UNLESS COMFOMTABLING WINNING. Plan D if winning last 5 mins of each half take no risks park the bus and play in opposition corner.

I do not like Yann or forwards in our box. Yann has great heading ability heads outs to opposition or Reading player becomes dispossessed and no outlet to counter attack then another wave of opposition attack ball is pumped back into our box.

Your sincerely,

Lifelong Reading fan

567 posts