Summer Transfers

567 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Summer Transfers

by Hound » 18 Jul 2018 10:03

Pepe the Horseman Anyone else noticed how much @ReadingFC have been bigging up Meite? Won't be long before PC tells us he's like a new signing.

sounds like he is doing well, so I suppose he is really.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Jul 2018 10:13

PC clearly sees him as someone that can play the cf role. Did he score a few at Sochaux last season?

Tbh I thought our days of playing wingers up top were over :(

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jul 2018 10:21

CountryRoyal PC clearly sees him as someone that can play the cf role. Did he score a few at Sochaux last season?

you're a barrel of laughs at the moment CR :lol:

He'll only play CF if he is playing the CF role well. He is much bigger and stronger than the likes of Aluko or GMac who were up top at times last season

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 Jul 2018 10:25

Hound
Pepe the Horseman Anyone else noticed how much @ReadingFC have been bigging up Meite? Won't be long before PC tells us he's like a new signing.

It's working then.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jul 2018 10:30

Pepe the Horseman
Hound

It's working then.

dunno, just taking the comments from people who have watched him play this pre-season, not the official.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Jul 2018 10:40

Hound
CountryRoyal PC clearly sees him as someone that can play the cf role. Did he score a few at Sochaux last season?

you're a barrel of laughs at the moment CR :lol:

He'll only play CF if he is playing the CF role well. He is much bigger and stronger than the likes of Aluko or GMac who were up top at times last season

I know I can’t help it I don’t know what’s wrong with me! Why am I being such a negative prick. :lol:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Jul 2018 11:39

World Cup blues, m8

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 18 Jul 2018 11:41

I think it was Clarke , with his Chelsea connection, that brought in Ake and Chalobah on loan and since sold for £20 million (Ake) and a number of millions (Chalobah).
When Clement was appointed I thought he would be doing something similar from Chelsea, Bayern Munich or Real Madrid but so far nobody.
We still only seem to be looking to Holland from where the players we have had have been almost as lacking in success as was the case with Burns' imports from Scotland.
Derby meanwhile with Lampard in charge have snapped up the very promising Mason Mount (Chelsea) and Harry Wilson (Liverpool).

Presumably clubs in our position would be looking to bring in these type of youngsters ( we have done it before with Ake, Chalobah, Afobe etc.) so come on Clement, persuade the decision-makers to look beyond geriatrics and Holland and look to younger classy players from elsewhere especially as there appears to be no desire to play our own young 'uns.
You never know, if the club does well we might even have a chance of signing some of these permanently.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jul 2018 11:44

do agree Victor to an extent, and I think Lampard has pulled off a great coup getting those two in. Pretty much every other club in the division would have happily taken either

I do wonder how often these players actually end up a success though. Tammy Abraham obviously, but for every one of him, there seems to be a number of Lewis Baker's.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Jul 2018 12:10

genome World Cup blues, m8

I think you might be right. All that unified ICH drinking singing loving each other bullshit really got to me.

Now I feel deflated, cynical and just a bit meh.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Jul 2018 12:23

CountryRoyal
genome World Cup blues, m8

I think you might be right. All that unified ICH drinking singing loving each other bullshit really got to me.

Now I feel deflated, cynical and just a bit meh.

Don't worry, I'm sure a drab 0-2 defeat to Derby in front of the Sky cameras will cheer you up.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Jul 2018 13:32

Can’t wait :lol:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 Jul 2018 16:57

Hound
Pepe the Horseman
Hound

It's working then.

dunno, just taking the comments from people who have watched him play this pre-season, not the official.

Fwiw I'm glad he's back, really hope he gets a chance this season. Just feels like the club are trying to get him over with the fans to soften the blow when we fail to bring in another striker, and he takes the no.9 shirt.

Felt91

by Felt91 » 18 Jul 2018 18:53

Nahki wells anyone? Haven’t been linked with him yet

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jul 2018 23:07

Hound do agree Victor to an extent, and I think Lampard has pulled off a great coup getting those two in. Pretty much every other club in the division would have happily taken either

I do wonder how often these players actually end up a success though. Tammy Abraham obviously, but for every one of him, there seems to be a number of Lewis Baker's.

I think the key is not all signings are right for all clubs... Clement has clearly identified experience and mental strength as a weakness in our squad (he's not bloody wrong!) and that's what he's targeting. No matter the quality of the academy player, they don't bring those attributes to the team.

Once we've got that solid footing again, we can then start to look for the more bright young thing talent to help take us the next step, along with some more spectacular proven talent. But I firmly think that one of our main problems last season was a squad that just didn't have it in them to roll up their sleeves, get stuck in and work their way out of trouble, even though there was some quality within the squad.

Take Baldock for example, yeah he's not the striker to take us to the top of the table. But he improves our current squad, adds some reliable hardworking quality and he should be good enough to stick around for a good few seasons. He can be here to support someone better when we can sign them as a more attractive prospect.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 19 Jul 2018 21:37

Norwich manager commenting today ..

Farke would love one or two more additions but also expects departures. Nelson Oliveira’s future remains a hot topic given his absence from the club’s German tour while the head coach confirmed earlier in the tour Russell Martin is free to secure a loan move.

“I wouldn’t say there is a line under this transfer window,” said Farke, speaking the club’s Youtube channel. “It could be there are one or two clubs interested in players who are part of our group and one or two leave us in the near future.

Although it still looks like Baldock signing , sounds like if the price is right Oliveira will be free to leave ....

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Jul 2018 22:25

Snowflake Royal
Hound do agree Victor to an extent, and I think Lampard has pulled off a great coup getting those two in. Pretty much every other club in the division would have happily taken either

I think the key is not all signings are right for all clubs... Clement has clearly identified experience and mental strength as a weakness in our squad (he's not bloody wrong!) and that's what he's targeting. No matter the quality of the academy player, they don't bring those attributes to the team.

Once we've got that solid footing again, we can then start to look for the more bright young thing talent to help take us the next step, along with some more spectacular proven talent. But I firmly think that one of our main problems last season was a squad that just didn't have it in them to roll up their sleeves, get stuck in and work their way out of trouble, even though there was some quality within the squad.

Take Baldock for example, yeah he's not the striker to take us to the top of the table. But he improves our current squad, adds some reliable hardworking quality and he should be good enough to stick around for a good few seasons. He can be here to support someone better when we can sign them as a more attractive prospect.

Yes agree in the main although you can add both experienced players and bright young things simultaneously

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jul 2018 22:43

How exactly? Either you're a hot PL academy prospect or you've got years of Championship / equiv experience. If you've got the experience you can't be that young.

Elmparkoid

by Elmparkoid » 19 Jul 2018 23:33

This transfer window has been designed to ensure that we do not end up as relegation fodder. I, just like the rest of you, want a window that provides us with a squad capable of attaining the top three. We are going to have to wait. Then again, Stam got us to the play-offs before strengthening the team (apparently) and then loosing the plot. Who actually knows what the current squad might be capable of?

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Jul 2018 08:43

I see the squad potential this season as an unknown quantity. It all went tits up very quickly last season and we never really got any momentum or clicked as team.
This season if Clement gets it right, inherited a squad which tbh I thought would compete for play offs and he's added some grit, whilst retaining key players. Having Popa and Meite coming back from loans does actually feel like signings.
He has also freshened up the RB position and up front, we have improved massively. Last season we had for most of it just Bod as our only CF option - we now have Mcnulty and possibly Baldock. Dare I say it, but relatively positive about our summer business. Nothing special has happened and no marquee signings but we have strengthened from last season.

567 posts