Summer Transfers

567 posts
Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Summer Transfers

by Coppells Lost Coat » 27 Jul 2018 09:33

Snowflake Royal
Hound know this got mentioned elsewhere, but had a look at Martyn Waghorn's stats. Considering he isn't young, 8 million basically for one 16 goal championship season. The only other goals he has really scored were in the Scottish second tier.

Waghorn is a total middle of the road Championship striker not worth more than about £800k

Massive LOL at Derby if they sell Vydra to sign Waghorn.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jul 2018 09:49

Coppells Lost Coat
Snowflake Royal
Hound know this got mentioned elsewhere, but had a look at Martyn Waghorn's stats. Considering he isn't young, 8 million basically for one 16 goal championship season. The only other goals he has really scored were in the Scottish second tier.

Waghorn is a total middle of the road Championship striker not worth more than about £800k

Massive LOL at Derby if they sell Vydra to sign Waghorn.

yeah a head scratcher that one.

Mind you, think they did well to pick up Marriott for an initial 3m

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 28 Jul 2018 11:55

Feel like I've completely changed the subject and feel free to ignore this because I keep banging on about this, but where is our creativity in the advanced area of midfield centrally? Pelle Clement looks better in a less advanced role in pre-season thus far and we can't rely on an inconsistent Swift. I know that we defended for quite a bit of the game against Rubin Kazan and I know it's only pre-season, but we didn't look like we had any creativity in central midfield. If we don't bring in an advanced central midfielder in the next couple of weeks, I fear we will rely too much on Barrow again this season, who may not be as good as last season. Praying that Aluko finds his Fulham form.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Jul 2018 12:20

RoyalJones Feel like I've completely changed the subject and feel free to ignore this because I keep banging on about this, but where is our creativity in the advanced area of midfield centrally? Pelle Clement looks better in a less advanced role in pre-season thus far and we can't rely on an inconsistent Swift. I know that we defended for quite a bit of the game against Rubin Kazan and I know it's only pre-season, but we didn't look like we had any creativity in central midfield. If we don't bring in an advanced central midfielder in the next couple of weeks, I fear we will rely too much on Barrow again this season, who may not be as good as last season. Praying that Aluko finds his Fulham form.

This is very much my concern. We were very weak both offensively and defensively in central midfield last season. Nowhere near enough assists from this area. Meyler shores up the defensive side of things but the creativity remains an issue.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Jul 2018 15:03

Zip
RoyalJones Feel like I've completely changed the subject and feel free to ignore this because I keep banging on about this, but where is our creativity in the advanced area of midfield centrally? Pelle Clement looks better in a less advanced role in pre-season thus far and we can't rely on an inconsistent Swift. I know that we defended for quite a bit of the game against Rubin Kazan and I know it's only pre-season, but we didn't look like we had any creativity in central midfield. If we don't bring in an advanced central midfielder in the next couple of weeks, I fear we will rely too much on Barrow again this season, who may not be as good as last season. Praying that Aluko finds his Fulham form.

This is very much my concern. We were very weak both offensively and defensively in central midfield last season. Nowhere near enough assists from this area. Meyler shores up the defensive side of things but the creativity remains an issue.

With Moore oxf*rd off and more then likely no adequete replacement coming in we've probably still gone backwards defensively too.

I predict drizzly showers of shite, with a strong chance of crap. Outook: we're fooked.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Jul 2018 15:11

CountryRoyal
Zip

With Moore oxf*rd off and more then likely no adequete replacement coming in we've probably still gone backwards defensively too.

I predict drizzly showers of shite, with a strong chance of crap. Outook: we're fooked.

Yep that’s now a big concern. We need a quality replacement to replace Moore or we are in for a very hard season.

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 28 Jul 2018 15:33

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Elphick deal back on now that Villa are rich again.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jul 2018 15:44

I don't see how we can address the attacking midfield issue until we lose some players.

We have for central:
Swift, Kelly, Edwards, Clement

For wide:
Barrow, Aluko, McCleary, Harriott, Popa (thanks Zip)

Get rid of someone in either area and we can bring someone better in. Our problem is bloating the squad with overpaid average under performers and we're paying the price.

We just have to accept that buying a new team each season without losing many of the problem players isn't viable and we're now in for a four window rebuild as contracts expire. Coz no one else is going to want the shit We're stuck with.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 28 Jul 2018 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Jul 2018 17:50

Snowflake Royal I don't see how we can address the attacking midfield issue until we lose some players.

We have for central:

For wide:
Barrow, Aluko, McCleary, Harriott

Get rid of someone in either area and we can bring someone better in. Our problem is bloating the squad with overpaid average under performers and we're paying the price.

We just have to accept that buying a new team each season without losing many of the problem players isn't viable and we're now in for a four window rebuild as contracts expire. Coz no one else is going to want the shit We're stuck with.

We also have Popa too.
Those four central midfielders are really lightweight.
Apparently the striker signing is imminent and highly likely to be Baldock.
Clement wants two other signings which may possibly be loans. He certainly isn’t getting the financial backing afforded to Stam in 2017

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jul 2018 17:52

Zip
Snowflake Royal I don't see how we can address the attacking midfield issue until we lose some players.

We have for central:

For wide:
Barrow, Aluko, McCleary, Harriott

We also have Popa too.
Those four central midfielders are really lightweight.
Apparently the striker signing is imminent and highly likely to be Baldock.
Clement wants two other signings which may possibly be loans. He certainly isn’t getting the financial backing afforded to Stam in 2017

No surprises there, seeing as that financial backing was a cluster oxf*rd that got us Clement, Bacuna, Bodvarsson, Edwards, Barrow and Aluko. We need to save money, not spend it.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 28 Jul 2018 18:31

Today was horrendous:
- Mannone couldn't do a lot about the goals to be fair, had one Ipswich like moment with Gunter in the first half. Clement wants 'three good goalkeepers', what a joke. Really annoyed by this, would have been less annoyed if Jaakkola went and that was the reason why Walker was signed.
- Most of the goals came down Yiadom's side, he doesn't contribute anything defensively, was ok in an attacking sense, but he wasn't good. McShane was shoddy, Ilori was sloppy at times but ok in other parts, Gunter was poor until he got subbed, Richards was quite average. To be fair to Tyler Blackett, we didn't concede whilst we he was on the pitch, he actually did not look too bad (I think?).
- Meyler was slow, but not the worst player on the pitch by some distance, Kelly supplied a few good passes but was anonymous otherwise and over run, Swift was like the invisible man, see my last post, it confirms my worries of the central attacking mid position.
- Aluko was poor again, why is he still taking corners? Barrow was ok but unspectacular.
- Meite didn't get service, Bodvarsson and McNulty were average.

- We're selling George Evans who was an important part of our successful 2016/17 season, and he's probably one of our better centre mids even though he isn't exceptional.
- Moore has handed in a transfer request, probably due to a lack of ambition this summer.
- We're close to signing a striker, if it's Baldock it's okay, but I would rather we have signed one of McNulty/Baldock and then a marquee high quality striker signing.
- We need a centre back when Moore goes, a central attacking mid, a striker, perhaps a winger and a miracle.
- Still think Clement is more of a coach as opposed to a manager, but feel sorry for him as he's had no backing.

On the whole, maybe i'm being harsh but i'm very pessimistic about the new season, something drastic needs to be done between now and the closing of the window. We should have signed more players by now so they could have had more time to integrate in to the squad. Depressing times ahead, even if it was just a pre-season friendly.

Hatty9

by Hatty9 » 28 Jul 2018 21:40

Vydra still seems to be in Limbo.

Not sure the asking price but he is a proven championship striker (when played in the right way)

Bamford for £7m is a marker

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 28 Jul 2018 21:42

Zip He certainly isn’t getting the financial backing afforded to Stam in 2017

May have something to do with him not coming off the back of a playoff final loss (on pens).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jul 2018 22:00

Hatty9 Vydra still seems to be in Limbo.

Not sure the asking price but he is a proven championship striker (when played in the right way)

Bamford for £7m is a marker

Vydra’s wages are apparently a big part of why he hasn’t already gone to Leeds - we won’t pay the 40k per week he is rumoured to be after

I think in truth we’ll have to be more imaginative. But sounds like it is Baldock who will come here, and I’m pretty happy with that personally

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 28 Jul 2018 22:34

People keep going on about Clement not being backed, we don’t know what the situation is regarding FFP. It might be that their hands are tied until we get some money coming in....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jul 2018 18:41

Supposedly Reading are currently a medical away from a striker (which every one is expecting to be Sam Baldock).

The club are NOT expecting any further permanent signings but may make a move or two in the loan market which apparently stays open until end of August.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 29 Jul 2018 18:50

Given Aluko wants to play cm is there any chance we'll find him the advanced role at some point with Barrow and Popa out right?

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 29 Jul 2018 19:04

maffff

Given Aluko wants to play cm is there any chance we'll find him the advanced role at some point with Barrow and Popa out right?

He'll need to learn how to take a corner and play his own position adequately first before he can insist that he wants to play in the middle

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 29 Jul 2018 19:06

Sutekh Supposedly Reading are currently a medical away from a striker (which every one is expecting to be Sam Baldock).

The club are NOT expecting any further permanent signings but may make a move or two in the loan market which apparently stays open until end of August.

That medical should have been done and dusted by now and we should have announced the player by now then, god knows what's holding it up, but we need more than just a striker to make us competitive. A number 10 after the striker has been signed would be a good start. A replacement for Moore and perhaps another winger depending on injuries.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 29 Jul 2018 19:16

RoyalJones
Sutekh Supposedly Reading are currently a medical away from a striker (which every one is expecting to be Sam Baldock).

That medical should have been done and dusted by now and we should have announced the player by now then, god knows what's holding it up, but we need more than just a striker to make us competitive. A number 10 after the striker has been signed would be a good start. A replacement for Moore and perhaps another winger depending on injuries.

The same striker that was meant to have joined the squad on Austria ??..the wheels of industry certainly arent turning fast in the transfers office!

567 posts