Summer Transfers

567 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Summer Transfers

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Aug 2018 21:37

CountryRoyal
KentRoyal
DOYLERSAROYALER See Hemed is off the mark on his debut for the false hoops..we chose the wrong BHA striker imho

Did we though

Because Baldock scores a penalty? Big deal. He’s done nothing

100% would have taken Hemed over Baldock especially as we have McNulty.

Think most people would.

There's some pretty big differences to consider.

Hemed's older and on loan, so he's a very short term option. Baldock's permanent and going to be available for two or three seasons at least. Hemed scoring on his debut means no more than Baldock scoring a penalty. And of course, we don't know what the comparative costs are. Who knows what they're paying for Hemed... could be more than we are for Baldock. Plus, isn't Hemed more in the role of Bod as a striker than Baldock?

Bod and Meite, Baldock and McNulty. In football its almost always about choosing the best combination for your team over just going for the best individuals.

Best to just deal with who we've got and get on with things than gnawing at what might have beens.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 25 Aug 2018 22:11

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
KentRoyal Did we though

Because Baldock scores a penalty? Big deal. He’s done nothing

100% would have taken Hemed over Baldock especially as we have McNulty.

Think most people would.

There's some pretty big differences to consider.

Hemed's older and on loan, so he's a very short term option. Baldock's permanent and going to be available for two or three seasons at least. Hemed scoring on his debut means no more than Baldock scoring a penalty. And of course, we don't know what the comparative costs are. Who knows what they're paying for Hemed... could be more than we are for Baldock. Plus, isn't Hemed more in the role of Bod as a striker than Baldock?

Bod and Meite, Baldock and McNulty. In football its almost always about choosing the best combination for your team over just going for the best individuals.

Best to just deal with who we've got and get on with things than gnawing at what might have beens.

Yeah I agree it is what it is. I’m sure there must have been but it just doesn’t look like there was much to any specific thought to the type of striker we should recruit. Our options seem so limited. It’s like someone picked a couple of names out of a hat and said yep they’ll do despite not knowing if or how they could play to, fit in with, and enhance our style of play, although I think the latter is a bit of a problem as we don’t seem to have an organised and structured attacking style, although we’ve been saying that for a long time.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 26 Aug 2018 14:16

On a more positive note, Southwood and Ward are both tied down to new contracts, bad news, they are now fourth and fifth in the pecking order at best. Probably time for Anssi Jaakkola to be sold in the January transfer window if we had any sense, Clement said he wanted three good goalkeepers so doubt that will happen. Would like to see at least one of Legg/Southwood/Ward be an understudy to Mannone next season, probably Southwood as he has youth international caps. That would push Walker back to third choice which he wouldn't be happy with but that's football. Perhaps Mannone will go back to Italy, which is something that can also be considered.

Obita, Richards and Blackett provide good competition at right back, bit gutted for Omar Richards seeing as he may be pushed to third choice left back after Obita comes back. Either Blackett needs to go back to centre half or he could be sold, wouldn't be too happy seeing Richards put in the reserves again. There is a possibility of Richards going out on loan, but he probably wouldn't get a big role in the squad when he comes back. However, Blackett has improved this season.

I honestly think it would be time for Gunter to go to another club, would probably be best for both parties so that Yiadom and Watson (when he comes back) can fight for the right back position. Watson has recieved good reviews at Wimbeldon thus far, however it's very early on in the campaign and we need to see if he can stay fit. Gunter hasn't lived up to his full potential here so would be good for him to kickstart his career somewhere else.

McShane looked very wobbly last season, can do a job but I personally don't think he should be starting anymore for us. It's good we've managed to keep Moore for now. Ilori still looks promising but he needs to step up and improve, this is a vital season for him. Again, speechless as to why we signed O'Shea, he did win the ball a few times in the League Cup game but was beaten for pace a few times giving Birmingham a one-on-one opportunity. I feel we needed a better centre back to start with Moore, but it's good in a way that Ilori's development can be continuted by starting regularly, with Osho, Holmes, McIntyre and Andresson looking reasonably promising in central defence for the academy. Blackett can also play centre back.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Aug 2018 14:39

Guessing Watson is injured again being as he didn’t play for Wimbledon on sat

Wouldn’t have taken Hemed at all over Baldock. No doubts if we’d signed Hemed and Baldock had gone to QPR it would have just been the same reaction but the other way round

We’ve got Meite and Bod to be he physical presence up top. Wouldn’t want to pair Hemed with either of those 2

In saying that think Hemed and Wells will do well as a pair for QPR. Were shrewd short term signings - but no doubts at significant cost

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 26 Aug 2018 20:33

RoyalJones, well said, good insight. Do you like the look of Meite? Watching the game yesterday, there was a spell of about 10 mins late on where he was dominant in the air. Our goal was a direct result of another header he won, he flicked it on and split the defense, allowing Sims to run on to it and win the pen. If he doesn't win that header, we lose. Just wondering what you think of him. Anyway, good post.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 30 Aug 2018 16:17

Denver Royal RoyalJones, well said, good insight. Do you like the look of Meite? Watching the game yesterday, there was a spell of about 10 mins late on where he was dominant in the air. Our goal was a direct result of another header he won, he flicked it on and split the defense, allowing Sims to run on to it and win the pen. If he doesn't win that header, we lose. Just wondering what you think of him. Anyway, good post.

Thank you and yeah I do like the look of him, he adds something different to our squad, his physical presence is something which is needed in this squad at the moment, he isn't the best technically at the moment, but if he can improve that, he has the ability to be one of the best players in the Championship, bold statement but I have high hopes for him.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 30 Aug 2018 16:45

Moving on to the midfield, it's not looking all that great. Meyler has come in, who was released by Hull City, thought he could be a good addition to give us more steel in midfield but there must be a reason why Hull released him.

Bacuna can be good sometimes but is quite inconsistent, Kelly has been poor this season as well as Swift. However, what is consistent is that all three players mentioned in this paragraph can be questioned about their character and personality. Bacuna's infamous Champions League comment whilst playing for Villa has not done him any favours (https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... g-11100410), he just oozes arrogance without any reason to be, he's an average footballer. Kelly's comments about not being worried about relegation because he never thought it would happen last season sums up his complacent attitude, he might be due for a drop, gives him a chance to slide in to the DMs of girls on Twitter. He has been so poor this season. John Swift has also been poor, and whilst this incident was a few years ago like Bacuna's, his post on Instagram didn't please Brentford one bit (http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... media-post). You have to question their character and personalities when these incidents have happened previously, are they the type of players we want at this club. Popa has also been frozen out, may be down to his character and the way he conducts himself, but he's looked semi decent whenever I've seen him play.

Dave Edwards is a person who is described as a model professional around the club, but the stupid decisions on the pitch last season, from getting sent off at Villa to conceding penalties at Burton and at home to QPR nearly cost us a lot of points. It was plain stupidity from him.

McCleary and Harriott are permanently crocked, no point even talking about either of them, I dread to think how much money they've both earned from the club whilst being injured. However, I guess it's not exactly their fault, they've got nice contracts that they can sit on to provide for their families. Aluko has been a waste of money thus far, hopefully he can improve but we paid a lot of money for him and has probably got a bumper contract. Barrow was a coup however. He's the anomoly, so many of these midfield players are taking huge wages from the club without giving anything useful back, we desperately need to rebuild our midfield.

Josh Barrett is someone who's been described as a bit lazy by some supporters who have got to U23 games, can't afford to have him in the squad as the last thing we need in the senior team is to carry another player. Andy Rinomhota on the other hand seems okay but we haven't seen him often enough, Clement needs to give him more of a chance. Pelle Clement looked good in pre season but hasn't been seen since, that's odd.

Sims seems like an alright loan signing, hopefully he can be useful for us. However, we've only just started to clear the deadwood from our midfield with JVDB and Gravenberch going out on loan. East and Holsgrove seem promising but we don't seem to producing as many promising players in midfield as we do in other positions. Kuhl went (was probably not good enough), Tshibola was sold, Stacey and Fosu both went, our midfield is a state and we knew that at the end of last season but didn't do enough about it. Worrying, Gourlay has a lot to answer for, I have a strong dislike for him and I don't know if it's because of the rumours about him being poisonous but I have a feeling he is a control freak, this is just my assumption however.

567 posts