Summer Transfers

567 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Summer Transfers

by Hound » 09 May 2018 14:52

Presume we'll be releasing a retained list fairly soon. Don't expect anyone OOC to be extended

Would take a loan LB for 6 months at the start of the year unless Obita looks absolutely 100%. Not convinced by Richards tbh, he has looked a bit weak whenever I have watched him, though I know him put in some good performances. Needs beefing up a bit

Obita's going to take a while to come back. Not sure he would even be playing football yet, and yet we are 3 months from the start of the new season,

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 09 May 2018 15:33

Old Man Andrews
Hound we also need to trim the squad as well. Would happily lose 10 and bring in 2 or 3 quality signings plus a few u23s

100% agree with you but who realistically is going to take Dangerous Dave Edwards off our hands and those of his ilk? Really worries me we are going to be stuck with the likes of Yann and JVDB......

I am not as worried about Yann, I can imagine his contract extension was not as lucrative as previous wages and he is a good third, 4th choice striker. We have Bod and and I can not see us buying 2 top strikers so would leave us very thin up front if they got rid of Yann.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 09 May 2018 19:07

Tevreden has a lot to answer for with his signings...getting shot of him would be a good start to the rebuild...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 May 2018 08:01

linkenholtroyal
Old Man Andrews
Hound we also need to trim the squad as well. Would happily lose 10 and bring in 2 or 3 quality signings plus a few u23s

100% agree with you but who realistically is going to take Dangerous Dave Edwards off our hands and those of his ilk? Really worries me we are going to be stuck with the likes of Yann and JVDB......

I am not as worried about Yann, I can imagine his contract extension was not as lucrative as previous wages and he is a good third, 4th choice striker. We have Bod and and I can not see us buying 2 top strikers so would leave us very thin up front if they got rid of Yann.

We only need one top striker though. If Yann goes we will have Bod and Smith as back up which is enough when you consider you could draft Loader in too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 May 2018 08:50

Yep shift out Mendes and obv Martin who I suspect was packed off on his way the minute the ref blew his whistle at Cardiff. Then bring in one striker with back up from Bod, Yann, Novakovich and Loader. Smith out on Loan to Div1.

Should be absolutely plenty and allow us to play 1 or 2 up top

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 May 2018 10:23

genome
Old Man Andrews Seen a rumour about Mason Mount being a target. Not sure we need another lightweight, young midfielder if I am honest. Would much rather we get a couple of fit, experienced enforcers into our midfield to allow Swift/Kelly that extra bit of freedom next season.

Would agree, but having a quick look at the general consensus about him, he looks much more promising than Swift or Kelly. Apparently he's in the top 10 in the Eredivisie for Key Passes, Crosses, Accurate Crosses, and Accurate Corners. 9 goals, 8 assists.

Add a hattrick and another assist to that :shock:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 May 2018 10:25

genome
genome
Old Man Andrews Seen a rumour about Mason Mount being a target. Not sure we need another lightweight, young midfielder if I am honest. Would much rather we get a couple of fit, experienced enforcers into our midfield to allow Swift/Kelly that extra bit of freedom next season.

Would agree, but having a quick look at the general consensus about him, he looks much more promising than Swift or Kelly. Apparently he's in the top 10 in the Eredivisie for Key Passes, Crosses, Accurate Crosses, and Accurate Corners. 9 goals, 8 assists.

Add a hattrick and another assist to that :shock:

Yeah I saw that last night, impressive. He would be an exciting loan signing and possibly could in turn get that little bit more out of Kelly and Swift as they compete for midfield places.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 May 2018 11:02

What happened to Lewis Baker this season? Barely played for Boro, has he been injured?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 May 2018 13:55

Hound Yep shift out Mendes and obv Martin who I suspect was packed off on his way the minute the ref blew his whistle at Cardiff. Then bring in one striker with back up from Bod, Yann, Novakovich and Loader. Smith out on Loan to Div1.

Jesus. Imagine if those are our striking options next season. Almost makes me wish we still had Dominic Samuel.

Absolutely tragic.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 10 May 2018 15:32

At least one in almost any position already but goalie and right back(but I’d be totally for Gunter leaving if the offer is right). I’d personally keep Jaakkola, he’s ok for backup, though I do expect him to leave this summer. Clement saying our strikers are good enough worries me, although I do think that should be taken with a pinch of salt. I genuinely couldn’t care less who leaves

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 10 May 2018 15:35

John Smith Jesus. Imagine if those are our striking options next season. Almost makes me wish we still had Dominic Samuel.

Absolutely tragic.

Samuel who isn't even first choice for Blackburn?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 May 2018 15:40

maffff
John Smith Jesus. Imagine if those are our striking options next season. Almost makes me wish we still had Dominic Samuel.

Absolutely tragic.

*Almost* makes him wish.........

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 May 2018 16:25

Old Man Andrews
maffff

Absolutely tragic.

*Almost* makes him wish.........

Thanks Old Man Andrews, a glimmer of hope there are some decent people left in the world.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 10 May 2018 18:31

I was impressed with Ashley Fletcher when Sunderland played us recently- plus subsequently on the highlights of their other matches. He was on loan from Middlesborough and he looks as if he is a decent striker.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 May 2018 02:17

John Smith
Hound Yep shift out Mendes and obv Martin who I suspect was packed off on his way the minute the ref blew his whistle at Cardiff. Then bring in one striker with back up from Bod, Yann, Novakovich and Loader. Smith out on Loan to Div1.

Jesus. Imagine if those are our striking options next season. Almost makes me wish we still had Dominic Samuel.

Absolutely tragic.

But no chance of us being in a relegation fight, right?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 11 May 2018 04:54

Keep hearing about fitness/training methods. On the face of it, that should be the least of our worries. If one goes with that, it needs explanation, in finite detail, how we missed PL by one PK a season ago. And then, somehow we decided to go 180 on fitness and training methods this season.

Keep in mind we finished 17th and 19th the 2 years prior. We had no 'talent' back then. Go back and check the threads back then. You'd be shocked. The forecast was bleak. About the only thing we'd have going forward might be fitness and training methods.

So, unless we were...at an absolute minimum...fit and training well...and unless every other team just rolled over like lambs and died...unless it was all just a fairy tale fantasy...in this, the toughest league of all...full of ex-PL teams...oh, and with a young, rookie, first year, foreign, manager....and this just in, the 3 promoted teams to PL last season all stayed up, remarkably.

Can, should, will, we improve fitness? I'd like to think so. Absolutely, that should be re-evaluated, at any time, at any cub. After all, within our budgets, its one of the few 'edges' we might have over opponents going forward.

Anyway, not sure what Clement is going to do. Sit back and defensively soak it up? Or be more attacking and press further up field? Anyway, with a more experienced manager, and with experience in both this division and PL, looking forward to a much fitter team than we've ever had, and seeing the results.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 May 2018 07:09

Thought about that as well Denver. Fitness or concentration certainly weren’t an issue in our PO season. Far from

Obvs losing Reid had an impact, but not the full story. Even the pre-game warm ups looked tired and going through the motions - something a few of us commented back on in the winter

The pre season was the big issue I think. Once the start the season in poor shape, with the games coming thick and fast, there is little time for fitness training, just topping up. Already quotes going round that Clement is planning a very tough preseason this year which is good to hear

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 May 2018 08:02

On a side note to that I think the club need to re-engage with the supporters in the preseason. If we have home friendlies then get the players in and amongst the supporters before and after the games outside the ground and maybe do a couple of open trainings at the stadium.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 May 2018 08:03

Isnt it funny that every season we say we need a striker? When was the last time we went into a summer transfer window not looking for a new striker?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 May 2018 09:28

leon
John Smith

Absolutely tragic.

But no chance of us being in a relegation fight, right?

I'm really not sure of what point you're trying to make, Leon. On the Channel 5 highlights programme on the last day, Reading weren't one of the teams included in the battle for survival feature. Either that makes Channel 5 liars or you have a difference of opinion. Regardless of that there is one fact that no one can argue with and that is that you are not a supporter of this club.

567 posts