Liam Moore to Brighton

489 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: Liam Moore to Brighton

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Jul 2018 09:08

Hound After McShane's performance on Saturday, prob be a relief to see him, head turned or not

Yeah would have liked him to have been moved on this summer. Fills me with dread that he has held on to the captaincy, they'll be more of an obligation to play him that way.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 31 Jul 2018 09:40

Old Man Andrews What sort of reception is Moore going to get on Friday if he plays? From what I have seen on social media our supporters seem quite calm about it. Thought they'd be complete meltdown to be honest.

He's not going to play.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 31 Jul 2018 09:46

Old Man Andrews
Hound After McShane's performance on Saturday, prob be a relief to see him, head turned or not

Yeah would have liked him to have been moved on this summer. Fills me with dread that he has held on to the captaincy, they'll be more of an obligation to play him that way.

Can't see Clement doing that tbh. Of more interest would be who he makes the on-the-pitch captain in McShane's inevitable absence - it feels like he's missed more than he's played in the last 18 months. With Moore almost certainly going, it won't be him - and I get the impression it wouldn't have been him anyway, it'd be somebody older.
Meyler maybe?

Back to Moore - yes he's a good player. But not good enough to single-handedly keep out all the goals. And despite all the criticism that came their way - it wasn't mainly our defence who let us down last season, it was further up the park. We let in fewer goals than in the previous season - the real difference was that we scored far, far, fewer. It always seemed like if one goal went in, the defence would almost give up, because they had nothing to hang onto - they were convinced in their own minds that we wouldn't score.

So if he goes, and the money (or even half the money) goes into a creative midfield player that doesn't get injured when you look at him sideways, then it's a good deal for the club.

Baldock for Kermorgant and Meyler for Joey/Evans are good replacements, We were ridiculously light on full-backs, Yiadom was definitely needed. One more in, and I'd be happy enough.

I doubt Moore will play on Saturday unless he's been talked round, and is definitely staying till Christmas.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Jul 2018 09:53

muirinho
Old Man Andrews

Can't see Clement doing that tbh. Of more interest would be who he makes the on-the-pitch captain in McShane's inevitable absence - it feels like he's missed more than he's played in the last 18 months. With Moore almost certainly going, it won't be him - and I get the impression it wouldn't have been him anyway, it'd be somebody older.
Meyler maybe?

Back to Moore - yes he's a good player. But not good enough to single-handedly keep out all the goals. And despite all the criticism that came their way - it wasn't mainly our defence who let us down last season, it was further up the park. We let in fewer goals than in the previous season - the real difference was that we scored far, far, fewer. It always seemed like if one goal went in, the defence would almost give up, because they had nothing to hang onto - they were convinced in their own minds that we wouldn't score.

So if he goes, and the money (or even half the money) goes into a creative midfield player that doesn't get injured when you look at him sideways, then it's a good deal for the club.

Baldock for Kermorgant and Meyler for Joey/Evans are good replacements, We were ridiculously light on full-backs, Yiadom was definitely needed. One more in, and I'd be happy enough.

I doubt Moore will play on Saturday unless he's been talked round, and is definitely staying till Christmas.

Can't see Moore playing on Saturday either to be fair. Or any of our players for that matter......

I agree we can't say we haven't had a slight upgrade in personnel but we are still missing that big money signing that Gourlay promised. That is what is grating on a lot of people.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Jul 2018 10:05

What's the situation with Obita's fitness?

Once he's back we'd have Gunter & Yiadom on the right (and both can fill in on left), Obita & Richards on the left. That would probably do?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Jul 2018 10:06

Old Man Andrews I agree we can't say we haven't had a slight upgrade in personnel but we are still missing that big money signing that Gourlay promised. That is what is grating on a lot of people.

Tbf to him his actual quote was along the lines of "if the right player comes along there is money to do something" and he didn't explicitly say "we're going to spunk x amount on players".

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Jul 2018 10:35

genome What's the situation with Obita's fitness?

Once he's back we'd have Gunter & Yiadom on the right (and both can fill in on left), Obita & Richards on the left. That would probably do?

Obita is running again, probably looking at Christmas I would guess before he is in a position to play.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Jul 2018 10:36

Worth getting a LB in on loan then. I shudder whenever Blackett plays there

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 31 Jul 2018 10:51

Old Man Andrews
muirinho
Old Man Andrews Yeah would have liked him to have been moved on this summer. Fills me with dread that he has held on to the captaincy, they'll be more of an obligation to play him that way.

Meyler maybe?

Can't see Moore playing on Saturday either to be fair. Or any of our players for that matter......

I agree we can't say we haven't had a slight upgrade in personnel but we are still missing that big money signing that Gourlay promised. That is what is grating on a lot of people.

Doh! :oops: Must remember to go Friday night, rather than Saturday....

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 31 Jul 2018 10:58

genome Worth getting a LB in on loan then. I shudder whenever Blackett plays there

Likewise. Don't think it's really fair to Gunter to expect him to fill in for months on end, (and judge him) , on his "wrong" side, he played a fair amount there last season too. And it also means there isn't any competition on the other side for Yiadom.

With Blackett - there's ability there - I just feel he needs stuff to be kept simple to get some confidence. I'd rather he was made into a left-sided CB, with nothing to do other than defend.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 31 Jul 2018 11:09

muirinho [

With Blackett - there's ability there - I just feel he needs stuff to be kept simple to get some confidence. I'd rather he was made into a left-sided CB, with nothing to do other than defend.

Exactly. This is championship football. I remember when our best CB partnership were told just to get rid of the ball, clear it into row z if needed and reorganise the defence on the corner/throw. Genuinely would rather a CB that can out muscle a CF then hoof it clear than play a nice 1-2.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2018 11:18

I have some time for Blackett - when his head isnt filled with trying to keep possession at all costs etc, he is an effective player.

Obita realistically is probably the new year. I think Richards, Gunter and Blackett should be enough to cover, though aren't ideal at the moment.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jul 2018 18:05

muirinho
genome Worth getting a LB in on loan then. I shudder whenever Blackett plays there

Likewise. Don't think it's really fair to Gunter to expect him to fill in for months on end, (and judge him) , on his "wrong" side, he played a fair amount there last season too. And it also means there isn't any competition on the other side for Yiadom.

Don't see why it's unfair tp play Gunter at LB, he's better there than RB.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2018 18:08

Interestingly, that Pete O chap (who broke the news on McNulty and Baldock) reckons Brighton have made a new and improved bid for Jack O’Connell (who is their alternative to Moore)

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 31 Jul 2018 19:37

Maybe Leeds has bid £20million for Moore?

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 31 Jul 2018 19:40

Bringing in jay dasilva on loan and letting Richards go out to league 1 might be a good idea.

I dont think Richards will play mich this season and another lb would mean competition for both fullbacks.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 31 Jul 2018 21:42

All has gone quiet on this. Maybe Clements pleading has worked. All I hope is there is a resolution in the next couple of days.
Worst that could happen is we hold off right till deadline day someone comes in last minute and we are left with no replacement.
It either needs Moore to say no I’m staying or get shot ASAP.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2018 21:50

As I was alluding to, if Brighton sign the other bloke from Sheff Utd, they will have no need or desire to sign Moore

No rumours of anyone else wanting him so seems there is a fair chance he would have to stay, whether he wants to or not

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Aug 2018 07:27

I see Oilroyal's certain knowledge surprisingly came to nothing.

How strange.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Aug 2018 08:52

The club should be doing all they can to push Moore out now that he has put in the request. Get him out and invest some of that money in players who want to be here.

489 posts