Liam Moore to Brighton

489 posts
PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Liam Moore to Brighton

by PieEater » 09 Aug 2018 21:59

From Despair To Where? When he left Leicester, they were the reigning Premier League champions and wanted to farm him out on loan deals in the Championship. At the time he felt his career was best served by moving permenantly and establishing himself that way.

He quite reasonable outlined his position to Leicester fans on Twitter. This appears to be no different. He stated that the club received what he considered a reasonable offer and felt that he deserved the chance to give it a go. Now that that offer has gone, he's rebuilding bridges and is looking to knuckle down again. I don't see how it's unreasonable.

My memory may be fading but as I recall he didn't make the 28 man squad for Leicester and that precipitated a transfer request to leave. He had no future there, it was either sit in the reserves or move.

This time he was almost guaranteed a start here, and although I can't begrudge him wanting to move to a higher level he was in fact moving for higher pay to sit on the bench. I can't see how that furthers his career.

KentRoyal

by KentRoyal » 16 Aug 2018 14:08

He has reportedly signed a new contract extension

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Aug 2018 17:48

I find that news mote worrying tbh. Either we'll have upped his almost certainly already rather high wages, or we'll have inserted a release clause for a certain fee / level of team performance. Or both.

We're not exactly rolling in money so chucking more at him seems a poor choice. And the owners have just said they won't sell him at any price, the other would be a bit of a mixed message.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 Aug 2018 13:06

Snowflake Royal I find that news mote worrying tbh. Either we'll have upped his almost certainly already rather high wages, or we'll have inserted a release clause for a certain fee / level of team performance. Or both.

We're not exactly rolling in money so chucking more at him seems a poor choice. And the owners have just said they won't sell him at any price, the other would be a bit of a mixed message.

if the extra money is performance related it's no big issue. up his win bonus, up his points bonus, up his league place bonus and it pays for itself.
And if he has a storming season and we sell him in the summer for £15 million then it will absolutely have been worth it.
the worrying situation would ave been if we had caved in to Brighton's attempts to get him on the cheap or if he had stayed but gone into a season long sulk. we seem have have avoided both those and probably handled the situation as well as we would have,

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Aug 2018 14:48

Snowflake Royal I find that news mote worrying tbh. Either we'll have upped his almost certainly already rather high wages, or we'll have inserted a release clause for a certain fee / level of team performance. Or both.

Apparently the owners came down to the training ground and made a point of speaking to Liam.

We have no idea what is in any new deal but it strikes me that the club won't overreach itself financially so if his wedge has been upped then club are presumably perfectly comfortable with it and it's all within FFP etc. Would also suggest the club won't agree to silly clauses in his contract to enable him to be sold on the cheap, after all they could have just left him on the same deal and fought the same arguments each window until he get does finally get sold.

Just hope Reading can build on it and have a really good season again so there is more chance of him staying next summer.

Maneki Neko
    Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 17 Aug 2018 15:04

genome Some of the Brighton fans are a bit sour on NSC.

"Translation “Brighton lost interest, I need to back peddle now”"
    "Translation = I wanted to move, still do. I hate the owner, preventing me from progressing my career, both from a footballing perspective and financially. The fans will hate me for this, so I'll put out a statement (in passable English) to appease them"
    "You can concentrate on you forthcoming relegation battle now!"
    "I don't mind that we're not signing Liam Moore, their relegation with him in the side will make me very happy."
    *some links to that song and that premature pitch invasion that we barely even think about but they're obsessed with*
    "They should get him to sing and video an updated version of that tinpot song as a show of loyalty "

cant really see much wrong with any of that

genome
    Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Aug 2018 15:53

This post was made by Maneki Neko, who is on your ignore list

Snowflake Royal
    Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Aug 2018 17:27

Sutekh

Apparently the owners came down to the training ground and made a point of speaking to Liam.

We have no idea what is in any new deal but it strikes me that the club won't overreach itself financially so if his wedge has been upped then club are presumably perfectly comfortable with it and it's all within FFP etc. Would also suggest the club won't agree to silly clauses in his contract to enable him to be sold on the cheap, after all they could have just left him on the same deal and fought the same arguments each window until he get does finally get sold.

Just hope Reading can build on it and have a really good season again so there is more chance of him staying next summer.

You've got rather more faith in our budgeting than I have given some of the contracts we've handed out in the last 5-10 years and how close to the wind we've sailed on FFP and our wage budget to income. Last time I remember it was over 100%

maffff
      Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 17 Aug 2018 18:00

Snowflake Royal and how close to the wind we've sailed on FFP

Came into effect in 2015. Allowable loss over 3years - 13m per season or 5m if owner does not inject money

2015/16 15m loss
      2016/17 4.5m profit
      2017/18 not yet available
      2018/19 current season

So, last year we could have lost 28.5m and stayed within ffp (but been hamstrung this year having to make another profit or neutral outlay to spend).

We clearly didn't make a loss that big. We have some wiggle room this year. Hence I assume money available *for the right players*.

The main issue is we spent quite big last season, parachute payments have ended and after this season the profit disappears from the account. So we need to keep costs sensible to give us a margin the next two years, with under 13m a year average needed - hopefully Ron will communicate on those additional revenue streams soon he spoke about a while back.

Embargo up to 2019/20 would be extremely unlikely unless we're very very irresponsible, which nothing suggests we have been thus far.

489 posts