Bond
Andersen
Taylor
Hamer (then)

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour - Vito Mannone

by Theroyalbox » 04 Jun 2018 14:39

Doesn't matter what anyone says Adam Federicis Peno save and performance against Brighton (A) when we won 1-0 back in 2011 was unreal and pretty much secured us promotion

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 04 Jun 2018 14:40

But then he oxf*rd up in the FA Cup which could've been one of our best days in history

11. Lee Payne

by 11. Lee Payne » 04 Jun 2018 16:58

Feds had that ability to make 10 or so saves in a season that he should never have got close to. In reality that always happens with your keeper in a promotion season.

What annoyed me about Feds in that season, was that he had clearly decided he was off and I just don't think his heart was really in it after he made that decision.

The telling point for me was against Bournemouth at home, the next game after the Semi-Final. Callum Wilson scored against him, and I was in the North Stand quite close to where he scored, and as Wilson retreated to the half way line, he did a little 'love-heart' hand gesture to Feds as though he knew he'd be playing with him next season. I clocked it then, not knowing he was off to Bournemouth, so when he signed for them it wasn't hard to put 2 and 2 together.

If he'd have been sticking around after that balls up, I could have probably seen past it, but I still can't accept that a man on £20,000 a week to play in goal has that kind of error in him. Appreciate that players in all positions cock up, but keepers need to not cock up as spectacularly as he or Karius did.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jun 2018 19:33

genome
John Madejski's Wallet Happy for Mannone to go

Worst 1st team keeper we've had in a long time
He's just so ...... average

Kept us in the league with a penalty save

If it were true, which it isnt, no more than literally any other contributions that helped gain us a point or three. Aluko kept us in the division just as much based on one offs.

And not only that, but we finished three points and two goals clear, so it's not even remotely true.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 04 Jun 2018 21:27

CountryRoyal

Recent first team keepers Mannone is undeniably better than;

Al-Habsi first year
Jaakola
Bond
Andersen
Taylor
Hamer (then)

Yeah different definitions of 1st team here ...... I should have said No.1

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Jun 2018 23:47

John Madejski's Wallet
CountryRoyal

Recent first team keepers Mannone is undeniably better than;

Al-Habsi first year
Jaakola
Bond
Andersen
Taylor
Hamer (then)

Yeah different definitions of 1st team here ...... I should have said No.1

Well there is only one definition of 1st team it’s not a contentious subject.

Agree about first choice keepers though (apart from Al-Habsi first season as I’ve mentioned) but it has to be said that’s not so much down to him. We’ve been very fortunate over the years with the quality of keepers we’ve had. Mannone is fine, not the best but we could certainly do a hell of a lot worse.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jun 2018 07:06

Reckon Mannone is a lot better than he showed us last year. I expect him to be a lot better this year

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jun 2018 07:57

Would ideally like a more reliable keeper to come in but they don't grow on trees and they aren't cheap so might as well get behind Mannone. He showed flashes of excellence and saved us when we needed him to.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 05 Jun 2018 09:05

Think he did as good as a job as any other keeper would have done in our team last season. Some mistakes were made, but more goals were conceded by big clangers made by the defenders. Could be a bit more vocal and take charge a bit more however that will come with confidence.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 05 Jun 2018 09:22

CountryRoyal We’ve been very fortunate over the years with the quality of keepers we’ve had. Mannone is fine, not the best but we could certainly do a hell of a lot worse.

It had nothing to with being fortunate, it was thanks to having an excellent goalkeeping coach. Unfortunately a drunk on power (or maybe just drunk) Steve Clarke ruined that for all of us

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jun 2018 09:25

Silver Fox
CountryRoyal We’ve been very fortunate over the years with the quality of keepers we’ve had. Mannone is fine, not the best but we could certainly do a hell of a lot worse.

It had nothing to with being fortunate, it was thanks to having an excellent goalkeeping coach. Unfortunately a drunk on power (or maybe just drunk) Steve Clarke ruined that for all of us and is a complete c*nt.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 Jun 2018 10:07

Coppells Lost Coat Think he did as good as a job as any other keeper would have done in our team last season. Some mistakes were made, but more goals were conceded by big clangers made by the defenders. Could be a bit more vocal and take charge a bit more however that will come with confidence.

To be fair, if you look at goals conceded last season, it's actually less than the previous year with Al Habsi (and with more of McShane). The real problems were further up the pitch, with a midfield that neither defended nor attacked, and a lack-lustre strikeforce. There's always some clangers from the defenders and goalkeeper - it's when there are very few goals scored that it becomes catastrophic.

That awful game against Ipswich is a prime example. 70 minutes OK and 20 minutes of cack from the defence - they get 95% of the blame. But 90 minutes of cack from the rest of the team - and, bar Aluko, pretty much get away with it. If we'd managed to score 1 or 2 in the first half, we'd have won that game comfortably.

So I don't care if Mannone goes or not - he's not the problem. what I do care about is getting John Swift fit, getting in some more creativity in midfield and getting an actual striker. Not a support guy, like Jon Dadi, but an ACTUAL STRIKER WHO CAN SCORE GOALS.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 05 Jun 2018 10:26

muirinho what I do care about is getting John Swift fit

Swift having an actual summer holiday has to be one of the better things happening to us this off-season

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Jun 2018 10:34

Silver Fox

Swift having an actual summer holiday has to be one of the better things happening to us this off-season

I don’t know I had to unfollow him on IG. His smug holiday updates pissed me off because I’ll I saw was him consistently being pushed off the ball by everyone all season.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 05 Jun 2018 10:36

I actually think that having Mannone in the team was one of the reasons we did so badly last year and that wasn't because of his goalkeeping ability. Imo Because he is good with the ball at his feet we were more inclined as a team to go back to him, faffing around with it at the back. In the previous season, the players knew not to use Al Habsi as much as he had the kicking ability of Stephen Hawking.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Jun 2018 10:39

Snowflake Royal
genome

Kept us in the league with a penalty save

If it were true, which it isnt, no more than literally any other contributions that helped gain us a point or three. Aluko kept us in the division just as much based on one offs.

And not only that, but we finished three points and two goals clear, so it's not even remotely true.

If we had drawn against QPR, that would've put immense pressure on us to get a win against Preston, so that may not have happened either. Okay, it may not have mathematically kept us up, but it was absolutely huge, and you know that was what I was implying. :roll:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jun 2018 11:45

Silver Fox

that article on whatever publication it is that JLow spends his time on nowadays didn't sound particularly optimistic I didn't think. Sounds like they never got to the route of the problem and I'd be far from surprised if it pinged again after a couple of games