Rumour - Vito Mannone

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rumour - Vito Mannone

by Sutekh » 01 Jun 2018 14:17

Woodcote Royal Not to mention the far post, crossbar or anywhere in his own half.

:roll: Yes, it's a real mystery how Brian ever got us promoted with Feds in goal.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jun 2018 14:41

It was never just one mistake with Fed though was it. It was regular errors. He made loads of camera saves, some of which actually were as spectacular as they looked, though many were routine made to look hard.

But he was very suspect at his near post, getting down to his corners and claiming crosses. And he was a no necked Aussie chubster. Who has done precisely sod all since leaving.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 01 Jun 2018 16:55

Joe Hart will be looking for a fresh start :o

bluerinse

by bluerinse » 01 Jun 2018 19:10

Ben Hamer has signed for Huddesfield on a 3 year contract, so we can cross him off as a possible replacement for Mannone should he leave.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Jun 2018 23:16

Snowflake Royal It was never just one mistake with Fed though was it. It was regular errors. He made loads of camera saves, some of which actually were as spectacular as they looked, though many were routine made to look hard.

But he was very suspect at his near post, getting down to his corners and claiming crosses. And he was a no necked Aussie chubster. Who has done precisely sod all since leaving.

Think that's a little harsh tbh. Taking away the Arsenal game (remember the west brom cup game where he basically did the same when Gylfi scored the worldy) he didn't make half as many mistakes you claim. I'd agree that he had a knack for the camera save and sure would flap a bit at crosses but overall in recent years he was a good keeper and imho more reliable than Mannone has been and Al-Habsi year 1.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Jun 2018 00:05

Winston Biscuit I liked A-Fed. He screwed up here or there but then we are tier 2 relegation fodder, I would say that is about our level tbh

Depends who you talk to, and when. Was told this past season we should be at least Top 10 each season, so there ya go.

In other news, former keeper Alex McCarthy kept Soton up, is attracting interest from Spurs and Liverpool, and almost made the plane to Russia...
Last edited by Denver Royal on 02 Jun 2018 00:30, edited 1 time in total.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Jun 2018 00:23

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jun 2018 00:48

Would be happy to have Feds back. A very decent keeper at this level

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jun 2018 01:03

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal It was never just one mistake with Fed though was it. It was regular errors. He made loads of camera saves, some of which actually were as spectacular as they looked, though many were routine made to look hard.

Think that's a little harsh tbh. Taking away the Arsenal game (remember the west brom cup game where he basically did the same when Gylfi scored the worldy) he didn't make half as many mistakes you claim. I'd agree that he had a knack for the camera save and sure would flap a bit at crosses but overall in recent years he was a good keeper and imho more reliable than Mannone has been and Al-Habsi year 1.

He wasn't awful or anything. And he did have very good periods. He just wasn't ever as good as he, or many others thought he was.

I can still remember hum conceding six against Posh in the cup. At least two of them you could see coming a mile away, nothing too tricky, just got to get down to his corner and bang.. goal.

One of those kerpers who had to save shots spectaculalrly to make up for poor positionng.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 02 Jun 2018 01:36

Sutekh
Woodcote Royal Not to mention the far post, crossbar or anywhere in his own half.

:roll: Yes, it's a real mystery how Brian ever got us promoted with Feds in goal.

It's a mystery to those who never gave McDermott the credit he deserved, not to mention those who think Federici made only one mistake in a Reading shirt.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 02 Jun 2018 02:00, edited 1 time in total.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 02 Jun 2018 01:51

Snowflake Royal One of those keepers who had to save shots spectacularly to make up for poor positionIng.

Spot on. That was the route cause of all his shortcomings.,

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Jun 2018 12:11

Shame Southampton (re)discovered McCarthy this season. Might have been a worthwhile shout there otherwise. Instead he's now being tipped for a move to sit on the bench at Spurs.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Jun 2018 13:20

Denver Royal
Winston Biscuit I liked A-Fed. He screwed up here or there but then we are tier 2 relegation fodder, I would say that is about our level tbh

Depends who you talk to, and when. Was told this past season we should be at least Top 10 each season, so there ya go.

In other news, former keeper Alex McCarthy kept Soton up, is attracting interest from Spurs and Liverpool, and almost made the plane to Russia...

He's eligible for Ireland who are in dire need of a new keeper. I hope that call up for England never comes.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Jun 2018 16:55

NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal

He's eligible for Ireland who are in dire need of a new keeper. I hope that call up for England never comes.

Won’t go to Liverpool, Klopp is looking at Allison and Oblak but will I bet will end up keeping faith with Karius. Shame really as they are the one top club crying out for a decent keeper and both Butland and McCarthy are, IMO, a considerable step up from Karius and Mignolet (and either would be a lot cheaper than Allison and Oblak) plus it would do England wonders to have one of their keepers playing for a top 6 club again.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 02 Jun 2018 22:31

Sutekh
NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal

Won’t go to Liverpool, Klopp is looking at Allison and Oblak but will I bet will end up keeping faith with Karius. Shame really as they are the one top club crying out for a decent keeper and both Butland and McCarthy are, IMO, a considerable step up from Karius and Mignolet (and either would be a lot cheaper than Allison and Oblak) plus it would do England wonders to have one of their keepers playing for a top 6 club again.

McCarthy is a step up on Karius?! :lol: He’s an extremely average keeper, I would be shocked if he’s playing first team football in the prem midway through next season. Happy to bet a fiver with anyone on that...

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Jun 2018 00:45

PistolPete
Sutekh
NewCorkSeth He's eligible for Ireland who are in dire need of a new keeper. I hope that call up for England never comes.

McCarthy is a step up on Karius?! :lol: He’s an extremely average keeper, I would be shocked if he’s playing first team football in the prem midway through next season. Happy to bet a fiver with anyone on that...

McCarthy isn't even in the same league as Butland. Considerably below Karius and Mignolet as well.

Just realised the literal irony in my first sentence, but the inference holds true as well. McCarthy as good as he was for us and is to a degree, is not a top keeper and never will be.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Jun 2018 14:13

CountryRoyal
PistolPete
Sutekh

McCarthy isn't even in the same league as Butland. Considerably below Karius and Mignolet as well.

Just realised the literal irony in my first sentence, but the inference holds true as well. McCarthy as good as he was for us and is to a degree, is not a top keeper and never will be.

He might get better.. Friedel did.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 03 Jun 2018 14:31

Was really surprised to read that McCarthy is 28 now. How time flies.

Maybe Fraser Forster fancies some time in the Championship?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Jun 2018 09:40

I met Ray Clemence at the 2012 FA cup semi final the day after we'd Southampton (A) to look like we're defo going up. Chatted to the legend about various things including his work as England's goalkeeping coach. I told him he should be looking at Alex and he said "not just yet, but in the next 4 years" Sadly for Alex he was a at least 2 years out, maybe soon though. TBF Ray also said that Harry Redknapp was nailed on for the then vacant England manager's job, which went to Woy Hodgson

csb

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 04 Jun 2018 14:13

Happy for Mannone to go

Worst 1st team keeper we've had in a long time
He's just so ...... average