The Local Journo Thread

888 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by Hound » 20 Dec 2018 10:00

I'm guessing funding cuts have made a difference as well

Remember Watts went on a pre-season tour with the players, and reported back on how their training etc was going. No chance that GetReading or whatever would fund that now. That would obvs be the ideal type of environment for a journalist to get some inside info, and maybe a few contacts within the club and players. Do remember him saying something about getting on well with Garath McCleary and Danny Williams - just don't think those opportunities are there now to get to know them

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Dec 2018 11:07

Hound I'm guessing funding cuts have made a difference as well

Remember Watts went on a pre-season tour with the players, and reported back on how their training etc was going. No chance that GetReading or whatever would fund that now. That would obvs be the ideal type of environment for a journalist to get some inside info, and maybe a few contacts within the club and players. Do remember him saying something about getting on well with Garath McCleary and Danny Williams - just don't think those opportunities are there now to get to know them

This 100%.

Local papers are mostly no more in the UK. The titles have been absorbed by larger organisations eg Trinity Mirror moved online and where there used to be actual teams of journalists slashed to a few that have to cover wider areas in less time. There’s no budget and wages are shit.

Result? Local provincial journalism is dead.

However you twats just want to slag some blokes off on the internet because you think it makes you look good.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Dec 2018 12:05

leon

This 100%.

Local papers are mostly no more in the UK. The titles have been absorbed by larger organisations eg Trinity Mirror moved online and where there used to be actual teams of journalists slashed to a few that have to cover wider areas in less time. There’s no budget and wages are shit.

However you twats just want to slag some blokes off on the internet because you think it makes you look good.

Everything you said is right.
However doesn't mean the quality of out put should reflect the market. Good journalists go on to better things.
What we have is people spouting (and its no more than what we do on here basically but for free) about potential rumors. They pretend to have sources but who ever or where ever they get there info is consistently wrong. All we are doing is pointing out that the constant offenders continue to spout BS and lapping up being ITK.

Bit of a contradictory last statement there, how big is your horse btw.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Dec 2018 12:08

leon

Nope we just deserve better. Grow up Leon.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Dec 2018 12:11

Old Man Andrews
leon

:lol: Have you read what you've posted on this thread?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Dec 2018 12:13

leon
Old Man Andrews
leon

Try and dispute anything I have said.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Dec 2018 12:22

Old Man Andrews
leon
Old Man Andrews

Try and dispute anything I have said.

I didn't, I tried to give some context.

The reason we're getting shit quality is because there is no local journalism anymore, it's not the blokes fault they have no resources and are out of their depth. If we all bought the EP etc more often this would never had happened.

We don't deserve better - we deserve what we get, and no manner of petulance and bitchy comments on a fans forum will change that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Dec 2018 19:16

Russell Kempsons latest column. Fcuk me.

Who the hell is Vitor Pereira anyway...etc

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 20 Dec 2018 21:47

leon

This 100%.

I think that the whole drive for 24hr news also doesn't help either. A club like Reading just doesn't generate enough news to warrant that level of coverage so they have to resort to publishing idle speculation and filler as news. That's essentially what fan sites are for but the papers are under commercial pressure to churn out copy online.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Dec 2018 09:56

Courtney Friday has resurfaced just in time to Tweet more bullshit about the Reading manager search.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Dec 2018 18:06

Anthony "Useless" Smith:

"Wifi connection lost just as Gomes is announced. Quality timing #readingfc"

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 22 Dec 2018 23:56

Old Man Andrews Anthony "Useless" Smith:

Aaaah, there it is. Was wondering when you'd pipe up with that.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Dec 2018 08:25

maffff

Come on, it is not excusable to not report things because of a lack of wi-fi connection. It is pathetic.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Dec 2018 10:11

Old Man Andrews
maffff

Come on, it is not excusable to not report things because of a lack of wi-fi connection. It is pathetic.

It is excusable when you're reporting from the ground and the 4G is sketchy, at best.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Dec 2018 10:59

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
maffff Aaaah, there it is. Was wondering when you'd pipe up with that.

It is excusable when you're reporting from the ground and the 4G is sketchy, at best.

So how did every other reporter manage to get by ok? You can certainly have a go at me for nitpicking at minor stuff but to use the excuse of having no wi-fi in 2018 is inexcusable. You can Tweet using your phone on emergency signal ffs, the bloke is just idle and clueless imo.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Dec 2018 11:27

Looks like that Talk Reading character has had his Twitter suspended. Oops

Not sure what he’ll do with himself now

IRjAy

by IRjAy » 26 Dec 2018 12:50

Hound Looks like that Talk Reading character has had his Twitter suspended. Oops

Not sure what he’ll do with himself now

Simeon will just write more crap on TheTilehurstEnd...

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 28 Dec 2018 20:17

I'm getting sick of the local press; luckily I can't get radio berks as I'm not local but the comments on here and twitter over a period of years re Dellor and co say it all.

Maybe Gooding needs reminding of his own transfer dealings and record when in charge.

Kempson obviously has some agenda against the club and Low is harmless but just plain useless with no football knowledge, I wonder if he actually attends any of the games based on what he writes, as his reports often bear no resemblance to what I see.

Can we please give the new guy a chance? The negativity based on one performance, where Gomez would have had a maximum of 2 training sessions, is astounding.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Dec 2018 23:45

Currist...criticising and comparing the ‘transfer dealings’ of Mick and Jim to those of today is like marrying Ian Royal to Old Man Andrews

But yes, shut-up everybody...give the guy an even-break....who else would want this lousey gig?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Dec 2018 00:51

I feel a bit sorry for Low. He is clearly not getting any info from the club. He reported that both Moore and Meite were unfit for the Millwall game. Both played. It’s difficult to take him seriously when he is clearly not in the know.

888 posts