The Local Journo Thread

892 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Dec 2018 09:51

Zip I feel a bit sorry for Low. He is clearly not getting any info from the club. He reported that both Moore and Meite were unfit for the Millwall game. Both played. It’s difficult to take him seriously when he is clearly not in the know.

I'll give Low credit in that he only reported facts when it came to the manager search unlike those clowns from the Chronic.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Dec 2018 14:40

Zip I feel a bit sorry for Low. He is clearly not getting any info from the club. He reported that both Moore and Meite were unfit for the Millwall game. Both played. It’s difficult to take him seriously when he is clearly not in the know.

He's a journalist, it's his job to get contacts/build relationships with the club.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Dec 2018 14:44

Mid Sussex Royal

He's a journalist, it's his job to get contacts/build relationships with the club.

I know that. He clearly isn’t doing it very well.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 Jan 2019 17:05

Anthony Smith dropping yet another bollock with a Tweet about the Flackwell Heath away game despite being postponed hours ago.

Does he go?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Jan 2019 17:16

John Smith Anthony Smith dropping yet another bollock with a Tweet about the Flackwell Heath away game despite being postponed hours ago.

Does he go?

Game officially called off @ 5:03
Smith's tweet sent @ 5:25

Not what I would call hours and likely to be a scheduled tweet, but I guess you knew that.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Jan 2019 08:38

Once again it has taken a journalist covering the North London area to let the Reading supporters know about our latest transfer. What the hell are our local journalists playing at? Jonathan Low broke the Oliveira story at 10pm last night ffs..........

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Jan 2019 09:45

Old Man Andrews Once again it has taken a journalist covering the North London area to let the Reading supporters know about our latest transfer. What the hell are our local journalists playing at? Jonathan Low broke the Oliveira story at 10pm last night ffs..........

I am guessing that Watts follows the new 'keeper on Instagram who showed he was at the stadium last night, whereas our journalists don't.

Unless you are expecting our journalists to follow every footballer on social media, I would say this one is fair enough.

But I am sure you know that.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Jan 2019 09:50

Hendo
Old Man Andrews Once again it has taken a journalist covering the North London area to let the Reading supporters know about our latest transfer. What the hell are our local journalists playing at? Jonathan Low broke the Oliveira story at 10pm last night ffs..........

I am guessing that Watts follows the new 'keeper on Instagram who showed he was at the stadium last night, whereas our journalists don't.

Unless you are expecting our journalists to follow every footballer on social media, I would say this one is fair enough.

A good journalist isn't missing stories because they are dropping their kids off in Basingstoke or not having a WiFi connection. Charles Watts would have known about this happening if he was still a Reading reporter because he was good at his job. A good journalist has a look at the available list that is sent out by clubs to other clubs listing the players available for loan. They then monitor the players who could be of interest to Reading, you can then keep tabs on their social media. The local media are all lazy, idle and poor football journalists. How can you possibly debate that?

You carry on making excuses for them all you want to though.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Jan 2019 09:56

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

A good journalist isn't missing stories because they are dropping their kids off in Basingstoke or not having a WiFi connection. Charles Watts would have known about this happening if he was still a Reading reporter because he was good at his job. A good journalist has a look at the available list that is sent out by clubs to other clubs listing the players available for loan. They then monitor the players who could be of interest to Reading, you can then keep tabs on their social media. The local media are all lazy, idle and poor football journalists. How can you possibly debate that?

Watts posted the story online at 06:28 this morning, would assume Smith and Co. were still in bed, I know I was :|

Maybe the player wasn't on this mythical 'available' list, Reading inquired, Arsenal said yes and the deal starts to move forward. I think with the Man Utd 'keeper strongly rumoured this window, this one came out of left-field.

It isn't about making excuses, its about providing a balanced argument and not shouting about something when you clearly have an agenda against the local press.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Jan 2019 09:59

Hendo

Tbf I think the Mail broke it before he put anything on insta.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Jan 2019 10:03

Pepe the Horseman
Hendo

Tbf I think the Mail broke it before he put anything on insta.

Didn't see that, only seen the stuff from Watts this morning, but as a national newspaper, sounds about right they would get the jump on the local paper.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Jan 2019 10:04

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Watts posted the story online at 06:28 this morning, would assume Smith and Co. were still in bed, I know I was :|

Maybe the player wasn't on this mythical 'available' list, Reading inquired, Arsenal said yes and the deal starts to move forward. I think with the Man Utd 'keeper strongly rumoured this window, this one came out of left-field.

It isn't about making excuses, its about providing a balanced argument and not shouting about something when you clearly have an agenda against the local press.

Of course Martinez would have been on the list, majority of 3rd/4th choice keepers are. Every club has one btw. It gets sent out mid-December, hard for journos to get unless they have contacts within clubs I grant you. The list will normally give the players name, positions and stats followed by their preference of division/country they'd like their player to go to. For example Martinez would have been on there with a preference for Championship/any top European league based upon his previous movements. It is popular for the bigger clubs to have a "must play" clause in their loan deals too so that might be listed these days too.

I want change and I want better local journalists reporting on the club I support, nothing wrong with that.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Jan 2019 10:08

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews

Of course Martinez would have been on the list, majority of 3rd/4th choice keepers are. Every club has one btw. It gets sent out mid-December, hard for journos to get unless they have contacts within clubs I grant you. The list will normally give the players name, positions and stats followed by their preference of division/country they'd like their player to go to. For example Martinez would have been on there with a preference for Championship/any top European league based upon his previous movements. It is popular for the bigger clubs to have a "must play" clause in their loan deals too so that might be listed these days too.

I want change and I want better local journalists reporting on the club I support, nothing wrong with that.

First I am hearing about this 'list' but ok.

I have told you before, if you are that upset with the standard of local journalism, you are free to log a complaint with IPSO. Change is more likely to happen if you do this, rather than ranting and raving on a fans message board. I guess you haven't done that though?

https://www.ipso.co.uk/

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Jan 2019 10:11

Problem is that local press is dying and most of the guys covering Reading aren't doing it as a full time job - so it's not always going to be perfect. They certainly don't have time to follow all available players on Instagram just in case they may move here.

As mentioned with Martinez, Watts will most likely be following all Arsenal players on social media and shared the post. Would imagine the guys following Reading do the same with our players.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Jan 2019 10:13

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

I have told you before, if you are that upset with the standard of local journalism, you are free to log a complaint with IPSO. Change is more likely to happen if you do this, rather than ranting and raving on a fans message board. I guess you haven't done that though?

There are no grounds for me to do that. Because I don't like something it doesn't mean I could make a complaint, do you complain about everything you don't like in life? I will moan about them all I like thanks, they put things out into the public domain and therefore are fair game to be criticised and this is the thread to discuss local journalsm. If you can't handle that then maybe don't come in here.
Last edited by Old Man Andrews on 23 Jan 2019 10:19, edited 1 time in total.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Jan 2019 10:18

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews

There are no grounds for me to do that. Because I don't like something it doesn't mean I could make a complaint, do you complain about everything you don't like in life? Actually a professional bed wetter like you might but I realise I wouldn't have grounds. I will moan about them all I like thanks, they put things out into the public domain and therefore are fair game to be criticised and this is the thread to discuss local journalsm. If you can't handle that then maybe don't come in here.

Alright m9, clam down to a panic, I was just giving some friendly advice. No need to start calling people names.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Jan 2019 10:20

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

There are no grounds for me to do that. Because I don't like something it doesn't mean I could make a complaint, do you complain about everything you don't like in life? Actually a professional bed wetter like you might but I realise I wouldn't have grounds. I will moan about them all I like thanks, they put things out into the public domain and therefore are fair game to be criticised and this is the thread to discuss local journalsm. If you can't handle that then maybe don't come in here.

Alright m9, clam down to a panic, I was just giving some friendly advice. No need to start calling people names.

Yeah ok duly edited.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 23 Jan 2019 10:24

Hendo
John Smith Anthony Smith dropping yet another bollock with a Tweet about the Flackwell Heath away game despite being postponed hours ago.

Does he go?

Game officially called off @ 5:03
Smith's tweet sent @ 5:25

Not what I would call hours and likely to be a scheduled tweet, but I guess you knew that.

A.Smith stays.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Jan 2019 14:09

Please read Smudger's response to a supporter when asked about how he didn't spot Miazga at Hogwood.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jan 2019 15:36

Old Man Andrews Please read Smudger's response to a supporter when asked about how he didn't spot Miazga at Hogwood.

can't be arsed to look through his tweets. What was it?

892 posts