The Local Journo Thread

892 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Jan 2019 15:46

Firstly we have classic Smudger:

Seems as though several of my Tweets failed from Hogwood today due to poor connection. Apologies, so a couple more to come followed by full transcript of Gomes. #readingfc

Then the epic:

Random bloke: How did you not spot him? (Miazga) @Smudgersport

Smudger Smith: Kid you not, I actually did. He pulled up next to me in the back of a taxi as we waited for the Hogwood Park gates to open. He had a hoodie on so only caught a glimpse and didn't recognise him to be honest.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jan 2019 16:23

pretty standard stuff. Did see the connection tweet - has he not thought to change mobile supplier yet?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Jan 2019 17:22

I would say 99% of people wouldn't recognise him either.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 25 Jan 2019 17:36

Hendo I would say 99% of people wouldn't recognise him either.

OMA would.
He’d probably recognise every contracted footballer in the world.
He’s impressive like that....

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Jan 2019 00:03

That's not the point. He's clearly lying, he saw nothing.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Jan 2019 07:16

Surely we could all identify someone we don't recognise when they're wearing a hoodie and sat in the back seat of a car adjacent to us in stationary traffic.

Granted the wifi excuses are a bit weak but this is getting beyond obsession territory, OMA.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Jan 2019 08:31

Old Man Andrews

That's not the point. He's clearly lying, he saw nothing.

Clearly lying, sure. How do you come to that conclusion?

Duffy

by Duffy » 26 Jan 2019 09:54

From Despair To Where? Surely we could all identify someone we don't recognise when they're wearing a hoodie and sat in the back seat of a car adjacent to us in stationary traffic.

Granted the wifi excuses are a bit weak but this is getting beyond obsession territory, OMA.

Seems a trait. He's been obsessing over me being someone else the last few days. Paranoia (not just him) has certainly set in.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Jan 2019 10:53

Try not to let it bother you, kes.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Jan 2019 12:08

From Despair To Where? Surely we could all identify someone we don't recognise when they're wearing a hoodie and sat in the back seat of a car adjacent to us in stationary traffic.

It's a thread designed to discuss local journalists. What would you like me to do other than comment in the local journalists?

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 26 Jan 2019 12:13

Anthony is a questionable journo but in this case I’ll come to his defence.

If I thought I saw something like that and have no idea who it is, and if it’s no one after he reports this then he gets taken the piss out of.

He decides it’s not really enough to say anything and as Miazga is a relatively unknown player I certainly hadn’t a clue what he looked like even though I did know who he was. Again, he gets taken the piss out of.

Where can he win here exactly?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Jan 2019 12:27

Old Man Andrews

It's a thread designed to discuss local journalists. What would you like me to do other than comment in the local journalists?

There's discussion and there's nitpicking. If you're going to criticise, don't go all in like he's fcuked your dog on every minor thing. Not having reliable WiFi or 4G is a problem, not recognising a relatively unknown Chelsea U23 player who was not previously on our radar and we hadn't been linked with, really isn't that big a deal and maybe acknowledge that the quality of his output is directly linked to the quality of resources at his disposal.

Maybe you can do any better but, to be honest, like our local journos, a lot of your content doesn't hold up to a great deal of scrutiny either.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Jan 2019 12:31

From Despair To Where?
Old Man Andrews

There's discussion and there's nitpicking. If you're going to criticise, don't go all in like he's fcuked your dog on every minor thing. Not having reliable WiFi or 4G is a problem, not recognising a relatively unknown Chelsea U23 player who was not previously on our radar and we hadn't been linked with, really isn't that big a deal and maybe acknowledge that the quality of his output is directly linked to the quality of resources at his disposal.

Maybe you can do any better but, to be honest, like our local journos, a lot of your content doesn't hold up to a great deal of scrutiny either.

You're missing the point entirely. It's not the fact he didn't recognise the player it's that I believe he has completely made it up in the first place. If you wish to believe him that's fine.

Duffy

by Duffy » 26 Jan 2019 12:45

Isn't life too short to be worrying about things like that?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Jan 2019 13:02

Old Man Andrews
From Despair To Where?
Old Man Andrews

You're missing the point entirely. It's not the fact he didn't recognise the player it's that I believe he has completely made it up in the first place. If you wish to believe him that's fine.

Yeah, I missed the point because I'm not sure there is one beyond your desire to overscrutinise him.

And yes I believe him because I see no benefit to him making it up, he looks hapless and disconnected either way.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 27 Jan 2019 13:20

Old Man Andrews
I want change and I want better local journalists reporting on the club I support, nothing wrong with that.

Genuine question, no aggro intended.

Do you buy the Chronicle or pick up the Mirror? Failing that, do you bother to click on any of the ads on either website.

If so, good, you're trying your best to help.

If not you're part of the problem as to just why journalism standards are slipping, because there's next to no money in it.

Repeated this argument constantly but the demands and resources available to today's journalists are a world away from even 10 years ago when Charles and others were starting. It's a shame and of course individuals could improve but it's easier said than done in today's newsrooms, most of which are a small cluster of computers where people turn around wire copy and make stories off social media content and press releases.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 31 Jan 2019 22:11

This tweet reminded me of this thread. Always got an excuse.

https://twitter.com/smudgersport/status/1091091997941739521?s=21

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Jan 2019 22:47

RG30 This tweet reminded me of this thread. Always got an excuse.

https://twitter.com/smudgersport/status/1091091997941739521?s=21

Poor Smudger hasn't got a smart phone apparently. I knew the Reading Chronicle wages were low but I didn't think they would be so low Smudge has to use a Nokia 3210.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 01 Feb 2019 03:34

Jonathan Low covered deadline day much better than any other reporter, he’s not been the greatest journo over the past 2 years but credits where it’s due

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 02 Feb 2019 20:47

There need to be changes at radio berks, from what I heard in the car heading back south. I actually thought we did ok today against a decent Villa side with several quality players, and I'd have taken a point at start of play.

Dellor and Williams are so negative and calling one fan an idiot is well out of order.

I hope the fan complains.

892 posts