888 posts
Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by Wimb » 13 Dec 2018 16:26

The Royal Forester
Wimb
muirinho
Well it's OMA, so excessive bile is the norm.

Podcasts (which btw, usually aren't done by the TTE editor) aren't always as good as they were with Wimb, that's true. But Wimb was exceptionally good - in comparison to other fan-led podcasts and blogs, TTE certainly holds its own.
(No disrespect to Tom Crocker, but they were better with Charlie Watts in there also)

But the thing with the TTE generally is - if you don't like their output, why not submit your own? They are always looking for content.

Much easier to snipe from the sidelines of course, then stick your head above the parapet by getting involved.

Cheers for the kind words, your fivers are in the post ;)

If I didn't have a young daughter, a full-time job and maybe/hopefully a return to The Royal Exchange one day, I'd still love to be doing the show, hopefully I'll sneak back on for a guest spot once in a while.

Running TTE is an thankless task most of the time and one that isn't helped when people snipe at the content or the quality. It becomes even harder to motivate yourself when you read personal pops towards you, when you've given up free time for basically no financial incentive, just to provide a platform and information service for fans.

The podcast is a similar labour of love. To do it properly you need time to research and plan, plus an environment to record and willing guests who can fit around your schedule. I was lucky for many years to have all of those things but people get older/move/have kids/lose interest in the club and suddenly it's that much harder to do it to a top standard.

Marc and Olly are doing a fine job keeping things going and will both get even better as time goes on.

As Muirinho said, why not volunteer your time? Even 1 article a month makes a big difference. If 5/6 fans suddenly gave up their time to do the same it really would step up the content level. Likewise, if you're someone that's got a fair bit of free time and you don't mind editing, why not volunteer to help behind the scenes?

You only need to take a look at Elm Park Royals and how their fan website content died in very quick fashion to understand how tricky it is to keep churning out good, well written content. Fair play to Paul, he seems to have found his niche in 'unedited' podcasts/vodcasts but he quickly discovered how tough it is to run a website largely on your own.

There's a reason things like The Whiff die off and it has little to do with the quality of the product. Without a constant flow of new blood and/or financial investment to keep people around you're always fighting an uphill battle. It's the same with the Chronicle/Get Reading. There's a reason they can't keep top journalists around and I mean no disrespect to any of the guys and girls working there who are likewise doing their best in tough conditions.

So, what you are saying is "If you moan about what you see, come and see if you can do better"?

In a way :D

I'd say more it's a case of try and help provide something extra and be constructive. Not everyone has got the time, or the inclination to write themselves but there's plenty of ways you can help support the site if you want to see it improve/succeed.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 13 Dec 2018 18:19

When will the Chronicle realise its time to bin off Courtney. The shockers that bloke has had and made himself look like an absolute fool today. I am beginning to think he is a bit like our Kes. Through enough sh1te and suggestions one of them sticks and claim credit. The "whats our kit" going to be a good enough example.

Charles Watts must be chuckling to himself, just obliterating their sources with his own events which I will assume to be true.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Dec 2018 18:22

paultheroyal When will the Chronicle realise its time to bin off Courtney.

I thought he had binned himself off a few months ago tbh

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Dec 2018 22:41

Anthony Smith is having an awful week and I think on the verge of a breakdown, even I feel slightly sorry for him. He's being caught out all over the place and getting really snappy with supporters, even the mild mannered Talk Reading account aren't safe from his wrath.

The bloke is absolutely useless though which is his main issue here. He hates being found out.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Dec 2018 22:43

paultheroyal When will the Chronicle realise its time to bin off Courtney. The shockers that bloke has had and made himself look like an absolute fool today. I am beginning to think he is a bit like our Kes. Through enough sh1te and suggestions one of them sticks and claim credit. The "whats our kit" going to be a good enough example.

Charles Watts must be chuckling to himself, just obliterating their sources with his own events which I will assume to be true.

"Courts" hasn't worked as a journo for 2 months now. He has just a loser with no friends in the real world so has to create bullshit stories that get interaction from all the 16 year old kids who follow him on Twitter. His story about Parkinson being at the Madejski today was just desperate.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Dec 2018 23:18

I'm afraid I'm going to have to jump on the OMA bandwagon and slag off the local journos. Well, the Chronicle more than JLow, who has been okay.

Their demeanour has pissed me off this week, posting every rumour they can find in the hope one of them sticking, and when called out on it, getting haughty and defensive to the very people who they are meant to be selling papers to. They've got to remember that these people are meant to be their customers.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Dec 2018 08:14

genome I'm afraid I'm going to have to jump on the OMA bandwagon and slag off the local journos. Well, the Chronicle more than JLow, who has been okay.

Why be afraid? It is fine to criticise their output, if they put it in the public domain then they can expect to be scrutinised.

Anthony Smith has completely lost it. Part of me wants Parkinson to get the job now because the "I told you so" Tweets he will put out there will be glorious. Courtney Friday just needs to stop though. He is not a journalist, he resigned or was sacked 2 months ago. He had no sources when he was a journo let alone now! Making claims about Parkinson being at the stadium etc, what an arse.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 14 Dec 2018 09:16

Old Man Andrews Anthony Smith has completely lost it.

I'll be as fair as I can here: I couldn't be a journalist as I don't have the skillset, nor would I be willing to work such hard hours for a relatively low wage. However, Anthony Smith is a journalist and has been well and truly found out ever since Clement's departure. It's like a mad scramble for credit on irrelevant stories that will have very little clicks/views given the size of our club. It's all a bit embarrassing and pathetic really.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Dec 2018 17:17

Just seen this on Twitter, Russell Kempson comparing Luis Castro to a bloke who is responsible for the deaths of many people. Appalling, and for Russell Kempson, that's saying something

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Dec 2018 10:42

genome Just seen this on Twitter, Russell Kempson comparing Luis Castro to a bloke who is responsible for the deaths of many people. Appalling, and for Russell Kempson, that's saying something

I’m not sure I understand your outrage.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Dec 2018 14:06

leon
genome Just seen this on Twitter, Russell Kempson comparing Luis Castro to a bloke who is responsible for the deaths of many people. Appalling, and for Russell Kempson, that's saying something

Yeah. It was clearly a tongue in cheek comment purely based on the similarities of his name you offence-taking snowflake. Get a grip.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Dec 2018 14:09

John Smith
leon

Yeah. It was clearly a tongue in cheek comment purely based on the similarities of his name you offence-taking snowflake. Get a grip.

Especially as Fidel Castro implemented a 1st world health care service in Cuba. Something we could do with, with our injury list.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Dec 2018 14:11

John Smith
leon

2017 called, it wants it's insult back.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Dec 2018 14:19

No need for John Smith to get so outraged by my consternation. Sounds like he's the snowflake.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Dec 2018 14:26

genome No need for John Smith to get so outraged by my consternation. Sounds like he's the snowflake.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Dec 2018 14:28

genome No need for John Smith to get so outraged by my consternation. Sounds like he's the snowflake.

No, he's a Broflake.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Dec 2018 14:32

John Smith

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Dec 2018 14:32

tbf, I was fairly outraged by Kempson making such a woeful and obvious joke in his column.

I don't normally read them, and I wish I hadn't read that one

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Dec 2018 14:57

To be honest I have always found his columns offensive just in terms of the quality of them.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 17 Dec 2018 15:05

Old Man Andrews To be honest I have always found his columns offensive just in terms of the quality of them.

Kempson> Miserable oxf*rd

888 posts