The Local Journo Thread

888 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by Hound » 17 Dec 2018 17:52

Poor from JLow

In an article about who fans wants to see most sold, he is surprised that Mannone tops the list. He doesn’t, it’s just he doesn’t understand his own poll

https://www.football.london/reading-fc/ ... s-15562623

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 18 Dec 2018 18:16

No mention of how many Reading supporters were surveyed. Can't have been many.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 Dec 2018 18:55

Great stuff from ya boy Anthony Smith
Very interesting name came my way today. Trying to get clarity before posting something. #readingfc

Still digging on the #readingfc managerial front and trying to firm up this tip-off. Sorry I can't say more than that right now but will update as soon as possible.

Turns out the tip-off I was given was a complete no-no. Won't mention the name, that wouldn't be fair. Story all written up this morning, had to pull at the last minute. Will keep probing. As it stand, Scott Marshall is taking pre-match presser tmrw #readingfc

I was told by a couple of sources this 'name' was pretty much a done deal and that club would make announcement tomorrow (Wed) morning. Then a third and very reliable source texted me 'no chance' when I put the name to him. #readingfc

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 18 Dec 2018 19:21

:lol:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Dec 2018 19:25

Pepe the Horseman Great stuff from ya boy Anthony Smith
Very interesting name came my way today. Trying to get clarity before posting something. #readingfc

Still digging on the #readingfc managerial front and trying to firm up this tip-off. Sorry I can't say more than that right now but will update as soon as possible.

Turns out the tip-off I was given was a complete no-no. Won't mention the name, that wouldn't be fair. Story all written up this morning, had to pull at the last minute. Will keep probing. As it stand, Scott Marshall is taking pre-match presser tmrw #readingfc

I was told by a couple of sources this 'name' was pretty much a done deal and that club would make announcement tomorrow (Wed) morning. Then a third and very reliable source texted me 'no chance' when I put the name to him. #readingfc

It's oxf*rd tragic. Bloke should just Jack it in now. Brings it all on himself and deserves to be ridiculed.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Dec 2018 09:20

Old Man Andrews

It's oxf*rd tragic. Bloke should just Jack it in now. Brings it all on himself and deserves to be ridiculed.

What's the betting his name in the frame was Jose Mourinho?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Dec 2018 10:36

From Despair To Where?
Old Man Andrews

What's the betting his name in the frame was Jose Mourinho?

And his source some teenager on Twitter.

Is Smith the Mourinho of local journalism?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Dec 2018 10:48

oh dear

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Dec 2018 10:54

Smith deserves to be fired for his reporting of the Reading manager search. He has deliberately misled supporters from the start.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 19 Dec 2018 11:53

I reckon i could write better journalism on the bog than ol 'smudger' The only thing smudging is the crayons across his face as he clearly is the clown of his profession.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Dec 2018 12:05

Old Man Andrews Smith deserves to be fired for his reporting of the Reading manager search. He has deliberately misled supporters from the start.

Can you prove he has deliberately misled people from the start. If you feel that strongly about it, you might want to drop these guys a line...

https://www.ipso.co.uk/

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Dec 2018 12:08

Hendo
Old Man Andrews Smith deserves to be fired for his reporting of the Reading manager search. He has deliberately misled supporters from the start.

Can you prove he has deliberately misled people from the start. If you feel that strongly about it, you might want to drop these guys a line...

Look at his Tweets and articles. He has drip fed complete bullshit in order to further the success of his output and misled the public routinely.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Dec 2018 12:22

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Look at his Tweets and articles. He has drip fed complete bullshit in order to further the success of his output and misled the public routinely.

Ok, sure, if you want to view it that way, please proceed to log a complaint with the IPSO (link above), just like someone would do with a complaint with an advert would get in touch with ASA, or get in touch with his publication directly, rather than ranting about it and coming off as a bit sensationalist on a fans forum...

Personally, all I see is a journalist who has found something out, said he is going to look into it, told people that it isn't going to come through. Not overly misleading if you ask me.

Journalist don't do anything = "USE YOUR CONTACTS"
Journalist uses contacts and finds out some information that doesn't come through = "WHY ARE YOU WRONG"

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 19 Dec 2018 12:40

Hendo
Personally, all I see is a journalist who has found something out, said he is going to look into it, told people that it isn't going to come through. Not overly misleading if you ask me.

Journalist don't do anything = "USE YOUR CONTACTS"
Journalist uses contacts and finds out some information that doesn't come through = "WHY ARE YOU WRONG"

When talking about Reading journos, contacts is a very vague reference. How many times has the Chronicle has said about contacts informing about gossip, and it turning out to be complete BS or no details given.
I would argue that our journos have very little to go on about anything outside what is said in press conferences and media outlets. They are no more informed than me or you.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Dec 2018 16:31

It says something about the breakdown of the relationship between the club and the local press that the most ITK journalist hasn't even reported directly on the club for 2 years.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 19 Dec 2018 16:51

From Despair To Where? It says something about the breakdown of the relationship between the club and the local press that the most ITK journalist hasn't even reported directly on the club for 2 years.

Watts got on with Tevreden, and had long-standing contacts with other club people. Note he also seemed to get on with the players better, the current journalists come across as a bit insipid, or seriously annoying, so maybe there's no personal connection any more.
But I reckon most of the people he knows don't work at the club now, and any players (a) won't know anything, and (b) would have to much cop-on to go gossiping. So I'm not really sure how ITK he actually is, he'll have BT's gossip, but not much else, and BT isn't at the club any more anyway.
Meanwhile the ability of anybody to get inside info at the club has declined sharply over the last number of years. They clearly only do the bare legal minimum as regards interviews - and they use their own media people to do anything beyond the pre and post match conferences. that might change a bit with Nigel howe back in charge, but no signs of any openness yet.

With that structure, you could have a Pulitzer Prize journalist on this, and they would struggle.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Dec 2018 17:16

I also accept that with everything being driven by online revenue and click counts its a question if the journalists having to say something rather than having something to say.

My comment wasn't meant particularly as a dig at the journalists although they could spare us some of the more outlandish bullshit, more a comment on the relationship between club and press as a whole.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 19 Dec 2018 19:53

muirinho
From Despair To Where? It says something about the breakdown of the relationship between the club and the local press that the most ITK journalist hasn't even reported directly on the club for 2 years.

Watts got on with Tevreden, and had long-standing contacts with other club people. Note he also seemed to get on with the players better, the current journalists come across as a bit insipid, or seriously annoying, so maybe there's no personal connection any more.
But I reckon most of the people he knows don't work at the club now, and any players (a) won't know anything, and (b) would have to much cop-on to go gossiping. So I'm not really sure how ITK he actually is, he'll have BT's gossip, but not much else, and BT isn't at the club any more anyway.
Meanwhile the ability of anybody to get inside info at the club has declined sharply over the last number of years. They clearly only do the bare legal minimum as regards interviews - and they use their own media people to do anything beyond the pre and post match conferences. that might change a bit with Nigel howe back in charge, but no signs of any openness yet.

With that structure, you could have a Pulitzer Prize journalist on this, and they would struggle.

I think the Chronicle and to a lesser extent Get Reading have burnt their bridges with the club for the most part.

The Chronicle of course had the notorious episode a few years back, but if I was within the club I would be mightily pissed off with the little things. The public snipes about having to wait for a press conference are just the height of petulance, and must surely be a nuisance.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 19 Dec 2018 20:26

Why did Courtney Friday flounce off twitter?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Dec 2018 22:36

RG30 Why did Courtney Friday flounce off twitter?

It was in disgrace after he claimed Parkinson was at the Madejski Stadium.

888 posts