The Local Journo Thread

376 posts
User avatar
McDermolenko
Member
Posts: 73
Joined: 10 Dec 2015 23:20

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by McDermolenko » 28 Jul 2018 13:04

Old Man Andrews wrote:
Zip wrote:FFS folks. Give him a break. He works for a local rag and will have had oxf*rd all resources to work with and let’s be honest the club are not exactly great at providing info to the supporters at the best of times.
I doubt that whoever replaces him will fare any better.


His replacement will be heavily featured here don't you worry.


Sorry but what are you actually gaining from this?

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3271
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jul 2018 13:15

McDermolenko wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
Zip wrote:FFS folks. Give him a break. He works for a local rag and will have had oxf*rd all resources to work with and let’s be honest the club are not exactly great at providing info to the supporters at the best of times.
I doubt that whoever replaces him will fare any better.


His replacement will be heavily featured here don't you worry.


Sorry but what are you actually gaining from this?


This is a thread to discuss local journalism be it good or bad. His replacement will be featured here.

Is that clear enough for you?

User avatar
maffff
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5565
Joined: 25 Nov 2010 10:22

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by maffff » 28 Jul 2018 13:21

Hound wrote:He resigned for a new job by the look of it, not flounced due to some gimps on here giving him some abuse


Yep, and his football coverage was voluntary....

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3271
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jul 2018 13:31

maffff wrote:
Hound wrote:He resigned for a new job by the look of it, not flounced due to some gimps on here giving him some abuse


Yep, and his football coverage was voluntary....


So that means he can make stuff up and repeatedly lie about things? Interesting.

ImJappy
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: 10 Jan 2017 16:23

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by ImJappy » 28 Jul 2018 13:34

Has anyone else noticed J Low's sexism?

Yesterday;
https://twitter.com/jonathanl50/status/ ... 3624932352 Only mentioned the men.

Today;

https://twitter.com/jonathanl50/status/ ... 5788017664 Says there are 5 players, but there are 5 men and 2 women players...


User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3271
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jul 2018 13:37

ImJappy wrote:Has anyone else noticed J Low's sexism?

Yesterday;
https://twitter.com/jonathanl50/status/ ... 3624932352 Only mentioned the men.

Today;

https://twitter.com/jonathanl50/status/ ... 5788017664 Says there are 5 players, but there are 5 men and 2 women players...


Great spot. Please keep them coming.

User avatar
WAZZOCK
Member
Posts: 722
Joined: 11 Apr 2006 23:09

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by WAZZOCK » 28 Jul 2018 18:11

Hound wrote:tbf the club are pretty poor on the press front imo. Its not just the dynamic duo from the Chron, JLow who comes over as pretty inoffensive, struggles to get anything much either. The press conferences seem to be an absolute bare minimum.

Even Watts used to moan about it, but he managed to get a couple of decent sources from within the club

It would be nice for the club to open up a bit generally

In terms of why the club hate the chronicle boys, apart from the obvious, doing things like retweeting what may be the leaked pics of the kit isnt going to help their cause


But what would be the benefit for the club to offer these journos more insight? Particularly on signings.

The Chronicle numbskulls behave appalling in their slagging off of the club. Every week they are given insight behind the scenes to speak to the Manager and player(s), yet feel the need to drop sly digs about having to wait around. News flash, you have been invited to attend, and the squad aren’t just going to drop everything to cater to your needs. “Lads, I wanted to do some extra set piece training but Courtney wants to get your thoughts on Love Island so let’s wrap this up now”.

They’re also given free access to match days, where there are given decent seats, a hot meal, teamsheets, programmes, and a good environment to get their work done.

I completely understand the clubs issue with these guys, and I’m very surprised they have slapped a ban on them in recent times.

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3271
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jul 2018 18:37

WAZZOCK wrote:
Hound wrote:tbf the club are pretty poor on the press front imo. Its not just the dynamic duo from the Chron, JLow who comes over as pretty inoffensive, struggles to get anything much either. The press conferences seem to be an absolute bare minimum.

Even Watts used to moan about it, but he managed to get a couple of decent sources from within the club

It would be nice for the club to open up a bit generally

In terms of why the club hate the chronicle boys, apart from the obvious, doing things like retweeting what may be the leaked pics of the kit isnt going to help their cause


But what would be the benefit for the club to offer these journos more insight? Particularly on signings.

The Chronicle numbskulls behave appalling in their slagging off of the club. Every week they are given insight behind the scenes to speak to the Manager and player(s), yet feel the need to drop sly digs about having to wait around. News flash, you have been invited to attend, and the squad aren’t just going to drop everything to cater to your needs. “Lads, I wanted to do some extra set piece training but Courtney wants to get your thoughts on Love Island so let’s wrap this up now”.

They’re also given free access to match days, where there are given decent seats, a hot meal, teamsheets, programmes, and a good environment to get their work done.

I completely understand the clubs issue with these guys, and I’m very surprised they have slapped a ban on them in recent times.


Excellent post, completely agree.

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6587
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by Hound » 28 Jul 2018 18:46

Agree to an extent, but press conferences and such like are a big part of trying to keep the fans feeling engaged with the club

Fully agree that whinging about it doesn’t help though, and I thought the retweeting of the leaked kit for example was an appalling misjudgement even though it seems a minor thing.

Sad thing is, again CFs actual report from the press conf after the game was pretty good and informative


User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3271
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jul 2018 18:56

Hound wrote:Agree to an extent, but press conferences and such like are a big part of trying to keep the fans feeling engaged with the club

Fully agree that whinging about it doesn’t help though, and I thought the retweeting of the leaked kit for example was an appalling misjudgement even though it seems a minor thing.

Sad thing is, again CFs actual report from the press conf after the game was pretty good and informative


I reckon the kit thing could have been the final nail you know. Bet someone had a word from Reading FC.

TiagoIlori
Member
Posts: 307
Joined: 31 Jul 2017 18:34

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by TiagoIlori » 28 Jul 2018 23:04

Was the first time I was actually impressed by him, even if he did seem to burn as many bridges as possible. People did go a bit too far by directly messaging him abuse I guess, slag him off all you want as they’d have to google their names to actually see it, bit different to seeing that pop up on your phone first thing Monday morning

User avatar
maffff
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5565
Joined: 25 Nov 2010 10:22

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by maffff » 29 Jul 2018 00:33

Old Man Andrews wrote:I reckon the kit thing could have been the final nail you know. Bet someone had a word from Reading FC.


No.

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3271
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jul 2018 00:36

maffff wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:I reckon the kit thing could have been the final nail you know. Bet someone had a word from Reading FC.


No.


You really know nothing. I'd settle yourself down before you get yourself in trouble again, been a bad few days for you.


User avatar
maffff
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5565
Joined: 25 Nov 2010 10:22

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by maffff » 29 Jul 2018 01:51

Old Man Andrews wrote:
maffff wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:I reckon the kit thing could have been the final nail you know. Bet someone had a word from Reading FC.


No.


You really know nothing. I'd settle yourself down before you get yourself in trouble again, been a bad few days for you.

No trouble, what you whining about?

He's left purely of his own accord for his own personal reasons.

User avatar
WAZZOCK
Member
Posts: 722
Joined: 11 Apr 2006 23:09

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by WAZZOCK » 29 Jul 2018 10:54

And good riddance. A poisonous toad of a person.

User avatar
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 15090
Joined: 04 Mar 2005 13:59
Location: Hob Nob Reality TV Champ 2010/2011

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by paultheroyal » 30 Jul 2018 12:37

McDermolenko wrote:Courtney Friday:

‘Small announcement. As of yesterday I resigned from my role. A difficult decision but one which will be a huge benefit to my career. Been a pleasure speaking to the vast majority of you. I hope to continue covering games to help out but will be far less active. It has been an absolute pleasure and I wish you all a far happier season than last year brought you. Stick together, back the team and most importantly enjoy yourselves. Sorry things haven’t always been perfect but did the best I could with limited time/resources’

Look what you lot done, big bunch’a bullies!


This can only be an improvement to the Chronicle's coverage of Reading FC. A truly appalling journalist if he can be called that. From my own experience, the negative comments you hear about him pretty much confirms his personality. If the right appointment is made, maybe just maybe Reading FC might be a bit more receptive to this media outlet.

User avatar
genome
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 19610
Joined: 08 Jul 2012 13:29
Location: Universe

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by genome » 30 Jul 2018 12:41

maffff wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
maffff wrote:
No.


You really know nothing. I'd settle yourself down before you get yourself in trouble again, been a bad few days for you.

No trouble, what you whining about?

He's left purely of his own accord for his own personal reasons.


He's right tbf mafff, you had an absolute shocker last week. I'd probably lay low for a little while.

Theroyalbox
Member
Posts: 854
Joined: 23 Sep 2012 15:29

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by Theroyalbox » 30 Jul 2018 12:46

genome wrote:
maffff wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
You really know nothing. I'd settle yourself down before you get yourself in trouble again, been a bad few days for you.

No trouble, what you whining about?

He's left purely of his own accord for his own personal reasons.


He's right tbf mafff, you had an absolute shocker last week. I'd probably lay low for a little while.


I really don't want Clement here either Mafff, but what you did. Just embarrassing.

User avatar
IRjAy
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: 03 Jul 2018 19:26
Location: Southcote, Reading

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by IRjAy » 30 Jul 2018 12:50

Old Man Andrews wrote:
Hound wrote:Agree to an extent, but press conferences and such like are a big part of trying to keep the fans feeling engaged with the club

Fully agree that whinging about it doesn’t help though, and I thought the retweeting of the leaked kit for example was an appalling misjudgement even though it seems a minor thing.

Sad thing is, again CFs actual report from the press conf after the game was pretty good and informative


I reckon the kit thing could have been the final nail you know. Bet someone had a word from Reading FC.


Nope. Purely down to career progression.

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3271
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jul 2018 12:52

IRjAy wrote:
Old Man Andrews wrote:
Hound wrote:Agree to an extent, but press conferences and such like are a big part of trying to keep the fans feeling engaged with the club

Fully agree that whinging about it doesn’t help though, and I thought the retweeting of the leaked kit for example was an appalling misjudgement even though it seems a minor thing.

Sad thing is, again CFs actual report from the press conf after the game was pretty good and informative


I reckon the kit thing could have been the final nail you know. Bet someone had a word from Reading FC.


Nope. Purely down to career progression.


Evidence?

376 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

It is currently 21 Sep 2018 16:01