CONFIMRED - Sam Baldock

195 posts
muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

CONFIMRED - Sam Baldock

by muirinho » 17 Jul 2018 11:20

Apparently close to signing Sam Baldock. There's no mention of Liam Moore in the article, so it woudl be a straight buy, rather than as a makeweight in a deal for Moore

Pete O Rourke is one of the more reliable journalists, IMO, so I'd rate this as pretty likely.
https://twitter.com/SportsPeteO/status/ ... 9776481285

Old Man Andrews

Re: Sam Baldock

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jul 2018 11:22

muirinho Apparently close to signing Sam Baldock. There's no mention of Liam Moore in the article, so it woudl be a straight buy, rather than as a makeweight in a deal for Moore

Pete O Rourke is one of the more reliable journalists, IMO, so I'd rate this as pretty likely.

Works hard but not prolific enough for me.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jul 2018 11:22

muirinho Apparently close to signing Sam Baldock. There's no mention of Liam Moore in the article, so it woudl be a straight buy, rather than as a makeweight in a deal for Moore

yeah he generally gets it right more often than not.

Sounds very much like this is the striker PC is after then. Happy enough with it if so - go into the season with Baldock, Bod, McNulty and Meite

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Jul 2018 11:48

Really really average, really really underwhelming.

I don't blame Clement, I like him and I think he has a long job on his hands to fix the mess, but it's quite clear from these bang average/dross signings that it's going to take time. Thank god I don't have a season ticket for next year.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jul 2018 11:54

I think part of the issue is that we are a far less attractive proposition than this time last year, when we could genuinely talk about going for promotion. Unless we are going to splash out very large sums (and I'm quite pleased we are not) we are not going to be playing in the big league for signings

I think Baldock is a very sensible signing depending on the fee. BHA fans seem to like him a lot - and I'm sure he'll guarantee decent movement and experience up front. I'm a little concerned by our lack of physical presence up front, but maybe PC likes what he sees of Meite to act as a target man along with Bod.

He was a big part of BHA's promotion 2 seasons back, and he looked a very good player then.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Jul 2018 12:13

Sorry to be all doom and gloom but thoroughly underwhelmed at this (and if this concludes it) our entire summer’s transfers both in and out.

IRjAy

by IRjAy » 17 Jul 2018 12:16

Baldock's stats at this level speak for itself. He'd be a decent signing. Some of our fans are clearly living in cloud cuckoo land if they think we can sign better after the miserable season we had last season. We are not even close to being as a attractive draw as we were 12 months ago!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jul 2018 12:19

IRjAy Baldock's stats at this level speak for itself. He'd be a decent signing. Some of our fans are clearly living in cloud cuckoo land if they think we can sign better after the miserable season we had last season. We are not even close to being as a attractive draw as we were 12 months ago!

18 goals in 81 games for Brighton. Hardly prolific is it.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Jul 2018 12:21

Hound I think part of the issue is that we are a far less attractive proposition than this time last year, when we could genuinely talk about going for promotion. Unless we are going to splash out very large sums (and I'm quite pleased we are not) we are not going to be playing in the big league for signings

I think Baldock is a very sensible signing depending on the fee. BHA fans seem to like him a lot - and I'm sure he'll guarantee decent movement and experience up front. I'm a little concerned by our lack of physical presence up front, but maybe PC likes what he sees of Meite to act as a target man along with Bod.

He was a big part of BHA's promotion 2 seasons back, and he looked a very good player then.

Much as our fans dislike it Brighton with their two good centre-backs, two good wingers and other decent players are now some way ahead of us ( a good manager and some good transfer dealing) so Baldock is now our level of signing.
If he is now fully fit again I like the idea of two smaller strikers in him and McNulty rather than just a run-around-and-see-what-happens type of player that we have in Bod.

It looks as though Clement is assembling a squad to aim at mid-table which is fine for the time being and preferable to a campaign of battling against relegation.
If he can stabilise our league standing then maybe the owners will trust him enough within the next couple of years with funds to buy better quality-we will see.

BTW,Living down South I do envy Bournemouth and the financial backing given to Eddie Howe firstly to get promotion and then to consolidate by spending big money on young players (as well as not so young) with Ibe, Ake, Cook and Brooks having cost in excess of £50 million when twice (for whatever reasons) we had a similar opportunity but blew it.
Last edited by Victor Meldrew on 17 Jul 2018 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Jul 2018 12:27

Old Man Andrews
IRjAy Baldock's stats at this level speak for itself. He'd be a decent signing. Some of our fans are clearly living in cloud cuckoo land if they think we can sign better after the miserable season we had last season. We are not even close to being as a attractive draw as we were 12 months ago!

Was often playing a secondary role to either Murray or Hemed.

Is a very good player at this level and should be a signing that is welcomed. For those who aren't impressed, who would you sign that is realistically available to us?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 17 Jul 2018 12:32

Stranded
Old Man Andrews

Is a very good player at this level and should be a signing that is welcomed. For those who aren't impressed, who would you sign that is realistically available to us?

Ronaldo would have been a good option.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Jul 2018 12:33

Stranded
Old Man Andrews

The issue for these people is that he's not got a sexy foreign name or profile.

If his name was Baldockinho and he was coming over from the Ukranian Second Division they'd probably be much more excited. But because he's experienced and English it's 'underwhelming'.

Fortunately we don't let these people be in charge of transfers.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jul 2018 12:36

winchester_royal
Stranded
Old Man Andrews

If his name was Baldockinho and he was coming over from the Ukranian Second Division they'd probably be much more excited. But because he's experienced and English it's 'underwhelming'.

His stats do not lie. He scored 18 goals in 81 games for Brighton. Nothing to do with his name, what a ridiculous comment.

Like I said he works hard and will get the odd goal here and there but he's not a 15-20 goal a season striker we need. For the fee we are paying Brighton we could have got a very decent striker in on loan from the Premier League, youngster preferably.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 Jul 2018 12:37

One of many comments about him on Brighton's forums.

Love Sam Baldock but probably not Premier League class.

He played a huge role in our promotion. He might not have scored as many as people would have liked but as soon as he didn't play we missed him massively.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Jul 2018 12:43

Old Man Andrews
winchester_royal
Stranded

His stats do not lie. He scored 18 goals in 81 games for Brighton. Nothing to do with his name, what a ridiculous comment.

Like I said he works hard and will get the odd goal here and there but he's not a 15-20 goal a season striker we need. For the fee we are paying Brighton we could have got a very decent striker in on loan from the Premier League, youngster preferably.

Depends on how you want to look at his record. Two low scoring seasons followed by a better than 1 in 3 record in his last season at this level. 1 in 3 is consistant with his career record. This would arguably be better if he hadn't had some issues with injury whilst at West Ham which affected him after he scored 5 goals in his first 6 games.

If he keeps that up for us then he will be around 15 goals (assuming he plays week in/week out).

If this happens, this will be a very decent signing for us and if our wing options actually produce what they should be capable of, gives us a decent forward line. Certainly stronger than last season.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Jul 2018 12:44

Old Man Andrews His stats do not lie. He scored 18 goals in 81 games for Brighton. Nothing to do with his name, what a ridiculous comment.

Stats do lie if you decide to choose only the stats that support your view.

In his most recent Championship season Baldock scored 11 goals in 31 games. Better then 1 in 3 games. That's a very reasonable record and if extrapolated over a 46 game season would be 15 goals in a season.

Before joining Brighton, i.e. when he was playing regular football at Bristol City, he scored 34 goals from 83 games. Again better than 1 in 3, and if extrapolated over a 46 game season would lead to 19 goals. In his last season at Bristol City he scored 24 goals from 43 games.

In fact, every season he's played over 30 games he has got into double figures.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jul 2018 12:58

CountryRoyal Sorry to be all doom and gloom but thoroughly underwhelmed at this (and if this concludes it) our entire summer’s transfers both in and out.

Who realistically were you expecting to come in?

Meyler and Yiadom - 2 experienced quality payers to fill in big issues we had at FB and CM last year
McNulty and Baldock - 2 strikers with a record of scoring goals. Admittedly both a bit of a punt, but unless you are paying 10m, they always are.
O'Shea - yeah rubbish signing, but wont play much.

We're on the way to getting rid of Yann, Joey and Evans so far, with prob a few more to come. Meite seems like he will be an option coming back off loan

We've kept hold of Moore (so far), and got a couple of decent young keepers to sign up again

Would like to know realistically what you were thinking would, or even might happen this summer

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Jul 2018 14:38

Old Man Andrews
winchester_royal
Stranded

Would agree though that on the face of it 18 in 81 for a striker is not particularly impressive, that's roughly one in every 4.5 games.

However a goals to apps ratio can be misleading, what's his goals to minutes ratio?

Overall though it's the team that needs to be built and it's how it all works together that is important so a collection of apparently "unimpressive" signings may actually become something rather special when it's all put together.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 17 Jul 2018 15:26

Jebus wept! Football's not played on paper. There are so many other factors to consider when talking about a strikers ability to score goals.

IRjAy

by IRjAy » 17 Jul 2018 15:27

Old Man Andrews

Good amount of assists in there too, but don't let that stop you judging him before he signs.

195 posts