Rumour: Jaakkola to Rotherham

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Rumour: Jaakkola to Rotherham

by paultheroyal » 23 Jul 2018 10:03

Lewis Ward is a more than able number 2 and would slot straight in so no need to sign another keeper.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 23 Jul 2018 11:09

Old Man Andrews
From Despair To Where? Considering the backpass rule was changed 25+ years ago, I don't think it's too much to expect a modern keeper to control a reasonable back pass and play the ball back out without much difficulty.

Sadly I think Ian is stuck in that time period judging by his general views and attitude.

Its only been a few years since the keeper has been expected to do this repeatedly, under pressure during a match though. As he is 31 can only imagine all his training for was just to clear the ball if passed to. IMO i prefer a keeper to be an 'option' but for him to clear the lines if passed to - obvs this was not his instruction when he was playing.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jul 2018 13:16

The law was changed in 1992, that's 26 years ago. There's no real excuse for any professional footballer under 40 as it would have been part of their training to collect the ball and play a simple and safe out ball, be that a hoof down pitch or a diagonal short pass to a free team mate. The backpass by and large evolved into a passing triangle to play around an attacker and switch sides after 1992.

I doubt even Stam would have instructed players to choose to play a dangerous short pass out in preference to a safer long clearance.

I'm very much in the camp that Jaakkola is not a great all round keeper and this is a situation where I would much rather see an academy graduate sitting on the bench.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 23 Jul 2018 13:29, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jul 2018 13:29

From Despair To Where? The law was changed in 1992, that's 26 years ago. There's no real excuse for any professional footballer under 40 as it would have been part of their training to collect the ball and play a simple and safe out ball, be that a hoof down pitch or a diagonal short pass to a free team mate.

I don't think you've really understood the point. The backpass rule coming in to effect is irrelevant.

If you couldn't see the issues we had last season with playing the keeper into trouble when he has few good short options and is under instruction not to kick long, there's not really any point continuing.

Even outfielders shouldn't be passed to under pressure in your own third when they've got few options unless absolutely necessary.

Why cause your team problems you don't need to. And even if Jaakkola should have been able to deal with it, he couldn't, yet Stam persisted in playing him and insisting we continued to put him under pressure he couldn't cope with. The problem's with the manager there, not the keeper.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jul 2018 13:36

I don't believe for one moment the keeper would have been instructed to not pass long under any circumstances. It's a question of a reserve keeper so desperate to make an impression, he starts making shit decisions. If the pass isn't on, you don't play it, you play the percentages. That's a decision made on the pitch and is down to the player.

I don't think Jaakkola can handle the Championship.