Do we really have billionaire owners?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Do we really have billionaire owners?

by Denver Royal » 28 Aug 2018 16:28

Maneki Neko We were semi regular prospect of possible promotion at the point of sale.

Yet I hear a massive long term rebuilding plan is needed due to many years of neglect.

Maneki Neko Last season will have come as a massive shock to them imo-

Pretty sure they were disappointed, but 'massively shocked'? They only took over about a year ago, and had they done their homework back then, they would have seen the previous 3 years read 3rd, 17th and 19th. Furthermore, they may have learned from ‘the fans’ that even the 3rd place and playoff final was very much an outlier, and in fact only achieved by luck. So, for the owners, I suspect, in the words of Jane’s Addiction: ’Nothing’s Shocking’ (even now, as we currently sit joint bottom of the table).

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 30 Aug 2018 13:14

Denver Royal
Maneki Neko We were semi regular prospect of possible promotion at the point of sale.

Yet I hear a massive long term rebuilding plan is needed due to many years of neglect.

Pretty sure they were disappointed, but 'massively shocked'? They only took over about a year ago, and had they done their homework back then, they would have seen the previous 3 years read 3rd, 17th and 19th. Furthermore, they may have learned from ‘the fans’ that even the 3rd place and playoff final was very much an outlier, and in fact only achieved by luck. So, for the owners, I suspect, in the words of Jane’s Addiction: ’Nothing’s Shocking’ (even now, as we currently sit joint bottom of the table).

I would hazard a guess that nobody in their right mind would invest in a Football club ( Unless your a life long fan / Bill Gates / Totally Bonkers) unless you felt that there is good opportunity to grow the Club/Brand. I cant imagine any situation - bar the ones previously mentioned that would drive you to invest £M's, with no view on return ( And return could mean £upside, Personnal Kudos, etc.) . I hope the current owners have a long term view & commitment , because if they dont, the potential for the club to go backwards is real. Continual ownership change , passing it on like a hot potato, is not a good thing for a Brand - in any form of Business.

The reality is we need a 21st Century John Madejski.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Aug 2018 20:55

El Diablo
Denver Royal

I would hazard a guess that nobody in their right mind would invest in a Football club ( Unless your a life long fan / Bill Gates / Totally Bonkers) unless you felt that there is good opportunity to grow the Club/Brand. I cant imagine any situation - bar the ones previously mentioned that would drive you to invest £M's, with no view on return ( And return could mean £upside, Personnal Kudos, etc.) . I hope the current owners have a long term view & commitment , because if they dont, the potential for the club to go backwards is real. Continual ownership change , passing it on like a hot potato, is not a good thing for a Brand - in any form of Business.

The reality is we need a 21st Century John Madejski.

There are several reasons to invest in football clubs.

Tax deductables from losses (maybe)
Money laundering
Building brand recognition
Asset stripping
Stupidity

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Sep 2018 13:40

Denver Royal

And judging by our handing out of fat contracts, No One's Leaving.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Sep 2018 15:49

You don't become and remain a billionaire business person by throwing money at problems.

They bought the club, the price they paid is history and not relevant to their future decision making. They may decide it's best to cut their loses, take whatever offer is on the table from elsewhere and invest the money in another venture.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Sep 2018 17:40

Supposedly the owners are wealthy, right up there in the top bracket (well Mr Dellor often repeats that fact) but at the end of the day they could have zillions upon zillions but, pretty much like SJM would, they seem to be playing by the rules (i.e. FFP) and therefore are limited to whatever that allows which won't be much in Reading's case when compared against the likes of the big names in the division.

And so it all comes down to shrewd management to spot the talent needed at a price that's affordable and a playing style that works. Don't seem to be anywhere near that at the moment though.

Finally the longer Reading struggle the harder it will be to even get that talent to the club.