My first rumour report. Things not well at Reading.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

My first rumour report. Things not well at Reading.

by Millsy » 01 Sep 2018 18:02

Those who know me will know I may talk my fair share of shit but one thing you'll vouch for is that I've never posted a rumour (I think!), let alone a dud one despite being in a position where I may know some stuff at times.

I've sat on this bit of (alleged) info for a long time as I am not enjoying doing this, knowing the flaming I'll likely get from club apologists or sceptical fans, but it's worth now sharing especially as it's not anymore going to be too "out there" so I will probably be leaning on an open door.

My source - someone very close to me who I trust who is him/herself closer to the club than I am and has contacts within it.

The rumours -
I was told this a while back and annoyingly have forgotten some of the details but here is what I remember

1) Clueless people above the manager bringing players in at wages far too high for what they're worth, just to get them in because they deem them good, causing unrest in the camp and difficult to offload.

2) The owners showing very little interest, not being around much and leaving a lot of people unsupported.

3) I don't quite get how this one works but this is what I remember.. training and development being a total joke and players etc being quite clueless not having much direction, almost like people making it up as they go along. Something about some players just not turning up for training as there is nothing really set up as it's all a bit of a free for all. I don't get this one tbh and don't know what level this was aimed at. Surely not first team? But don't know.

4) Something about a doctor or physio or someone medical who was very good being offloaded by the new owners and replaced with their own person, someone inappropriate for the role, like an ex-plastic surgeon (if I remember correctly)

I may have got some of the details wrong and there was more to it, but in summary clueless reclusive owners making clueless player and personnel changes with poor financial decisions and there being an overwhelming feeling of most people at the club being confused and feeling directionless, which has been going on for a very long time.

Feel free to knock me if you like, but you'll only be shooting the messenger! But after Clements' post match interview I think the above will be easier to swallow.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: My first rumour report. Things not well at Reading.

by Oilroyal » 01 Sep 2018 18:13

Thanks for sharing. Each snippet of information makes a lot of sense in filling in the gaps as to why the club is in free fall.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Sep 2018 18:27

I can see the bit about silly length contracts and poor player “purchases”. Idiot money sadly doesn’t surprise me either.

Think the training bit comes from Stam’s tenure as there was criticism there that it was all analytical stuff and no-one really organising proper sessions of any real length.

Will RFC fans care though, will we go all a bit Charlton over it or just tut a bit in social media.

What’s STAR’s take on this. How have they found dealing with the new regime. Perhaps they should start asking some awkward questions....

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 02 Sep 2018 13:19

That's a bit harsh ...

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Sep 2018 14:49

My first rumour report - water is wet.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 03 Sep 2018 08:57

2 world wars, 1 world cup Those who know me will know I may talk my fair share of shit but one thing you'll vouch for is that I've never posted a rumour (I think!), let alone a dud one despite being in a position where I may know some stuff at times.

I've sat on this bit of (alleged) info for a long time as I am not enjoying doing this, knowing the flaming I'll likely get from club apologists or sceptical fans, but it's worth now sharing especially as it's not anymore going to be too "out there" so I will probably be leaning on an open door.

My source - someone very close to me who I trust who is him/herself closer to the club than I am and has contacts within it.

The rumours -
I was told this a while back and annoyingly have forgotten some of the details but here is what I remember

1) Clueless people above the manager bringing players in at wages far too high for what they're worth, just to get them in because they deem them good, causing unrest in the camp and difficult to offload.

2) The owners showing very little interest, not being around much and leaving a lot of people unsupported.

3) I don't quite get how this one works but this is what I remember.. training and development being a total joke and players etc being quite clueless not having much direction, almost like people making it up as they go along. Something about some players just not turning up for training as there is nothing really set up as it's all a bit of a free for all. I don't get this one tbh and don't know what level this was aimed at. Surely not first team? But don't know.

4) Something about a doctor or physio or someone medical who was very good being offloaded by the new owners and replaced with their own person, someone inappropriate for the role, like an ex-plastic surgeon (if I remember correctly)

I may have got some of the details wrong and there was more to it, but in summary clueless reclusive owners making clueless player and personnel changes with poor financial decisions and there being an overwhelming feeling of most people at the club being confused and feeling directionless, which has been going on for a very long time.

Feel free to knock me if you like, but you'll only be shooting the messenger! But after Clements' post match interview I think the above will be easier to swallow.

Thanks for filling us all in. Can we mark all these rumours down as 'not applicable' once we win a game?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2018 11:53

Some of that is patently obvious, some of it is very difficult to believe.

Find the training allegations about Clement difficult to believe, far less so about Stam. We've looked more organised under Clement IMO.

Medical very weird.

Contracts issue is just a plain fact.

As for reclusive owners. Good. They're there to stump up money and reap the praise when it works. Not be involved.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 03 Sep 2018 13:17

yep. my favourite kind of owner
have no interest in bland platitudes from random investors.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2018 13:37

Even if I was a billionaire I think I'd make a bad owner. I'd be too invested not to interfer. Not so much in findinh players to sign, but refusing to sign some and wanting to influence the team selection and tactics.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Sep 2018 16:15

Snowflake Royal As for reclusive owners. Good. They're there to stump up money and reap the praise when it works. Not be involved.

As I've said before; noone gives two shits who the owners are if the team are winning. It's only when the team are losing that people look for someone to blame

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Sep 2018 21:18

genome
Snowflake Royal As for reclusive owners. Good. They're there to stump up money and reap the praise when it works. Not be involved.

As I've said before; noone gives two shits who the owners are if the team are winning. It's only when the team are losing that people look for someone to blame

Yeah don't think I've heard too much anti-Venky sentiment at Blackburn of late.

Fezza

by Fezza » 03 Sep 2018 21:47

Can add to this that a lot of kids at the academy and below are jumping ship as un-amused by the running of the club...

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 03 Sep 2018 22:32

Fezza Can add to this that a lot of kids at the academy and below are jumping ship as un-amused by the running of the club...

:? this isn't the first time I've heard this...

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Sep 2018 07:37

Fezza Can add to this that a lot of kids at the academy and below are jumping ship as un-amused by the running of the club...

Nothing new. Has been happening since Stam was appointed.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Sep 2018 09:29

At what level? Am assuming it's not at the higher end of the academy as we would likely hear about this, or certainly notice a sudden massive shift in the U18 squad for example.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Sep 2018 10:01

I can also add to this - very true. All things Reading FC at academy level and pre academy is not in a good place.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 04 Sep 2018 12:11

Is Madejski really too poor/uninterested to buy the club back and get it on some kind of decent footing? He can't take the money with him and there's no spouse to think about.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Sep 2018 13:30

Elm Park Kid Is Madejski really too poor/uninterested to buy the club back and get it on some kind of decent footing? He can't take the money with him and there's no spouse to think about.

Too old and tired I'd say. He's 77 now.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Sep 2018 14:19

Elm Park Kid Is Madejski really too poor/uninterested to buy the club back and get it on some kind of decent footing? He can't take the money with him and there's no spouse to think about.

He does have two daughters to think about though.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 05 Sep 2018 16:08

muirinho

Too old and tired I'd say. He's 77 now.

Spotted him yesterday nearly getting run over on Station Road as he started "running" towards I assume the buses.

Not for the first time recently he gave meth impression of someone not quite "with it"