Rumour - Phil Parkinson

130 posts
KentRoyal

Rumour - Phil Parkinson

by KentRoyal » 14 Oct 2018 13:12

Well, well, well. Alan Nixon has tweeted saying that we are eyeing up a move for parky. We sacked stam during an international break, will lightning strike twice?

Old Man Andrews

Re: Rumour - Phil Parkinson

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2018 13:17

If Parky is the best we can do then we really are oxf*rd.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Oct 2018 13:25

Christ no, Just because he`s a Reading legend doesn`t make him a good manager, and from his track record he clearly is not.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 14 Oct 2018 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Oct 2018 13:38

He has done a great job at Bolton with absolutely no funds. Would be happy for him to become our new manager and he would certainly have a greater connection with the fan base than either Stam or Clement.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 14 Oct 2018 15:43

League 1 is his true level and the football will be absolutely dire.

No thanks

surrounded by saints

by surrounded by saints » 14 Oct 2018 16:17

Please no, nor Murty either :(

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 14 Oct 2018 17:27

Zip He has done a great job at Bolton with absolutely no funds. Would be happy for him to become our new manager and he would certainly have a greater connection with the fan base than either Stam or Clement.

Agreed.
Watching Bolton on TV recently and they are much more of a passing side than posters have previously suggested.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Oct 2018 22:07

windermereROYAL Christ no, Just because he`s a Reading legend doesn`t make him a good manager, and from his track record he clearly is not.

:|

Did very well at Colchester - 42% win rate, promotion to the Championship
Moving to Hull was a mistake, should have got the Championship experience staying at Colchester and then moving on a year later.
Did OK at Charlton - 39% win rate, POs - yes it went a bit wrong after that
Did well at Bradford - 37% win rate, kept them in the League, won the play offs, had a cup run, got them in the League One POs
Bolton done very well at Bolton getting them promoted and keeping them up despite all their problems still got a 38% win rate

He knows League One and has a proven track record there of promotion and competing in the POs, he's got experience in the Championship. He's had to work his way up. He's dealt with clubs in financial and off the field strife. He can compete with less resources than other teams in the League, he's won a relegation fight.

To be honest, Reading Legend or not, I can't think of many manager's better suited to our current malaise who are in employment (or not) and are realistic possibilities.

Always dangerous getting a legend in incase they fail, but if nothing else he might lift the crowd and attract a few nostalgia fans from the 90s.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2018 22:09

Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL Christ no, Just because he`s a Reading legend doesn`t make him a good manager, and from his track record he clearly is not.

To be honest, Reading Legend or not, I can't think of many manager's better suited to our current malaise who are in employment (or not) and are realistic possibilities.

He's called Mick McCarthy.

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 15 Oct 2018 00:46

I would take him in a heartbeat.

He's done incredibly well at Bolton considering the transfer embargoes and lack of funding he's had to deal with. He's also proven that he can adapt styles of play very well on a tight to nothing budget. Bolton aren't the most attractive team to watch at times, especially last season , but that was mainly down to the players ability. He's had a few additions to the team and they can play on the deck a bit more than they used to.

As others have mentioned he's a legend, so he will restore more of a connection between the fans and the team too.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 15 Oct 2018 02:11

I wonder how much of a connection Parkinson would have with the current fanbase, I'm 28 and when I started watching Reading Parkinson was on his way out of the club. I am aware of his status as a club legend but the reality is that I have no real affection towards him, I would suggest the same is probably true for anyone younger.

yuomi

by yuomi » 15 Oct 2018 07:28

tidus_mi2 I wonder how much of a connection Parkinson would have with the current fanbase, I'm 28 and when I started watching Reading Parkinson was on his way out of the club. I am aware of his status as a club legend but the reality is that I have no real affection towards him, I would suggest the same is probably true for anyone younger.

It's a fair point, but legends are legends because they transcend the era they played for the club. If you're 28, chances are Robin Friday died the year you were born (sorry older fans) but you know his name and you wish you saw him play. Whether Parky was at his best or on his way out when you started watching, the esteem he's held in by other fans whose opinions you respect should be a guide as to what he has contributed to the club. I'm not saying PP has Friday's level of mystique and wonder, but as others have said he could provide a much-needed bridge between the fans and the club.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Oct 2018 09:37

I think we should only go for Parkinson should we be relegated. I'd stick with Clement for the time being but if things are drastically bad by January then we need to get someone in and give him the window to work with.

As previously stated many times it should be Nigel Pearson. To suggest that Mick McCarthy should be our manager really smacks of the atrocious state of the club.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Oct 2018 11:10

Have always been firmly against the idea of Parky as manager, but I guess that's our level now. Would at least give us all someone to get behind. Not worried about the danger of destroying his legacy. We all know what a mess the club's in, think it'd be a no lose situation for him.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Oct 2018 11:30

The whole "destroying his legacy" thing is nonsense anyway.

It doesn't change what he did as a player for us. In fact, McDermott 2.0 doesn't change the fact Brian is a club legend because of McDermott 1.0.

Seems silly to think that it would.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 15 Oct 2018 11:30

If we are looking for someone to steady the ship and reintroduce a bit pf passion and loyalty to the club then Parky is your man. Taking the club forward to the upper reaches of the LCh and one day beyond, then I would doubt he is the man for that. However, at present, we just need stability, so for the next 2-3 years then he would be ok. Get us to a regular upper mid-table position, maybe flirting with the play-offs, then get someone else in for pushing on.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Oct 2018 11:37

strap If we are looking for someone to steady the ship and reintroduce a bit pf passion and loyalty to the club then Parky is your man. Taking the club forward to the upper reaches of the LCh and one day beyond, then I would doubt he is the man for that. However, at present, we just need stability, so for the next 2-3 years then he would be ok. Get us to a regular upper mid-table position, maybe flirting with the play-offs, then get someone else in for pushing on.

You live in fantasy land......

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Oct 2018 11:42

I'm gonna say it, because it needs to be said: He was a crap player (and I've spoken to some of his former teammates who would agree wholeheartedly with that statement). He is also a pretty crap manager who has achieved nothing.

I don't want him anywhere near the club

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 15 Oct 2018 12:10

John Smith I'm gonna say it, because it needs to be said: He was a crap player (and I've spoken to some of his former teammates who would agree wholeheartedly with that statement). He is also a pretty crap manager who has achieved nothing.

I'm gonna say it, because it needs to be said: you are full of shit,
Admittedly he wasn't a world beater but he would walk into this Reading team.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Oct 2018 12:15

72 bus
John Smith I'm gonna say it, because it needs to be said: He was a crap player (and I've spoken to some of his former teammates who would agree wholeheartedly with that statement). He is also a pretty crap manager who has achieved nothing.

I'm gonna say it, because it needs to be said: you are full of shit,
Admittedly he wasn't a world beater but he would walk into this Reading team.

Haha ok then. You just keep dreaming of being on the South Bank again mate. He had no ability and the game has changed so much he wouldn't be able to play anywhere near this level

130 posts