Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rumour - Phil Parkinson

by sandman » 15 Oct 2018 13:21

So edgy.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 15 Oct 2018 13:52

72 bus
John Smith I'm gonna say it, because it needs to be said: He was a crap player (and I've spoken to some of his former teammates who would agree wholeheartedly with that statement). He is also a pretty crap manager who has achieved nothing.

I don't want him anywhere near the club

I'm gonna say it, because it needs to be said: you are full of shit,
Admittedly he wasn't a world beater but he would walk into this Reading team.

And I'm gonna say it - no he would'nt. Football has moved on big time since his day, and he just wouldnt be technically profficient to get near the first Team squad.,
No one could ever doubt Parky's commitment to the badge - thats whats missing from our squad.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Oct 2018 14:38

El Diablo
72 bus
John Smith I'm gonna say it, because it needs to be said: He was a crap player (and I've spoken to some of his former teammates who would agree wholeheartedly with that statement). He is also a pretty crap manager who has achieved nothing.

I don't want him anywhere near the club

And I'm gonna say it - no he would'nt. Football has moved on big time since his day, and he just wouldnt be technically profficient to get near the first Team squad.,
No one could ever doubt Parky's commitment to the badge - thats whats missing from our squad.

And he could tackle. We don't have anyone who can.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 15 Oct 2018 15:39

leon
El Diablo
72 bus

He could. Of course - in this day & age - he'd pick up 2 yellows in no time.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 15 Oct 2018 16:02

John Smith I think we should only go for Parkinson should we be relegated. I'd stick with Clement for the time being but if things are drastically bad by January then we need to get someone in and give him the window to work with.

As previously stated many times it should be Nigel Pearson. To suggest that Mick McCarthy should be our manager really smacks of the atrocious state of the club.

I would say getting Pearson in is even more desperate.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 15 Oct 2018 17:40

leon
El Diablo
72 bus

Joey vandenBerg could tackle too - it's just unfortunate for him he played the game as it is now, rather than as it was back in Parky's time. By today's standards he can't tackle well at all.

Of course Parky had heart and commitment to the badge. If that was all that was required, you could just pick randomly from spectators to come down pitchside and play. It's not enough. He did OK in an era when the league we were in meant you could go a long way with heart and effort. But technically, he didn't have it, and a player like him would be a L1 or journeyman lower championship player now.

But it matters little what he was like as a player, we'd be hiring him to be a manager. You can get coaches for technical stuff, it's man-management, game strategy and game management that's required as a manager. What he was like as a player gives no clue as to how good he'd be at any of those.

What Parky would be like as a manager I don't know. It's hard to know how much Bolton's limitations at times are down to the players he has available, and whether he'd be able to work with Reading's very different players. As we can't have a wholesale clearout of players, he'd be stuck with what he'd get - the questions would then be - what could he do with them?

For me, he's lower down than say Dean Smith or Graham Potter in my wishlist. I'm pretty dubious about Pearson, he has the knack of rowing with everybody, and goodness knows the club has enough troubles without the likes of him starting a feud or two. I'd prefer him to Murty also, but unlike many, I never really liked Murty (sacrilege!!!!), so it's personal rather than any kind of assessment of his abilities - there hasn't been enough evidence either way whether Murty has got what it takes.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 Oct 2018 17:07

muirinho Joey vandenBerg could tackle too

Could he? News to me.

Hitchytwo

by Hitchytwo » 17 Oct 2018 08:24

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL Christ no, Just because he`s a Reading legend doesn`t make him a good manager, and from his track record he clearly is not.

To be honest, Reading Legend or not, I can't think of many manager's better suited to our current malaise who are in employment (or not) and are realistic possibilities.

He's called Mick McCarthy.

Arsene Wenger? :lol: :lol:

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Oct 2018 10:28

John Smith I think we should only go for Parkinson should we be relegated. I'd stick with Clement for the time being but if things are drastically bad by January then we need to get someone in and give him the window to work with.

As previously stated many times it should be Nigel Pearson. To suggest that Mick McCarthy should be our manager really smacks of the atrocious state of the club.

What's wrong with the very big Mick? he can get average players performing at their best

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Oct 2018 10:33

My choice of manager would be Cowley who's manager at Lincoln. He's done an outstanding job up there and we need a manager who has had success and a winning mentality. I hope we don't go down the route of hiring a coach again

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Oct 2018 10:44

Royal_jimmy

What's wrong with the very big Mick? he can get average players performing at their best

It's just not a very ambitious appointment, Jim. Taking Ipwich's cast-offs - we're better than that. If we get him in the we just continue to be a below par side who keeps their heads above water in the second tier when really pretty much any in the Championship can get promoted. We should be looking to win the league every season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Oct 2018 11:00

Royal_jimmy My choice of manager would be Cowley who's manager at Lincoln. He's done an outstanding job up there and we need a manager who has had success and a winning mentality. I hope we don't go down the route of hiring a coach again

He'd certainly be top of many club's lists at the moment. Cracking job for them so far.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Oct 2018 11:04

Hound
Royal_jimmy My choice of manager would be Cowley who's manager at Lincoln. He's done an outstanding job up there and we need a manager who has had success and a winning mentality. I hope we don't go down the route of hiring a coach again

He'd certainly be top of many club's lists at the moment. Cracking job for them so far.

Wouldn't be against appointing him at all but I think we have come to the point in time when you could realistically say he'd probably want to stay at Lincoln rather than coming to us. They are on their way up and we are falling down, every chance both clubs could be in the same division next season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Oct 2018 11:11

Old Man Andrews
Hound

Wouldn't be against appointing him at all but I think we have come to the point in time when you could realistically say he'd probably want to stay at Lincoln rather than coming to us. They are on their way up and we are falling down, every chance both clubs could be in the same division next season.

We'd be able to give him lots more money and are potentially a much bigger club

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Oct 2018 11:17

Hound
Old Man Andrews
Hound

We'd be able to give him lots more money and are potentially a much bigger club

How much money is he going to have if we go down to League 1? I think Lincoln are pretty well funded too so if you a referring to his salary then they could potentially get somewhere near to us on that front. If I were a young ambitious manager like him theres no way I'd come to us, we are on life support. Lincoln are really going places, possibly moving to a new stadium in the next couple of years.

Above all we are way too tight to pay compensation for him and his team.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Oct 2018 12:15

Hardly on life support tbf. Just spent 30m on that new training ground you like hearing about. As long as the owners hang around, there wont be any shortage of money I doubt

Lincoln is a 3rd or 4th tier club. Can't see that changing long term

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Oct 2018 12:30

Wait, are we saying people would rather stay at Lincoln than come to an established 2nd tier club?

Right :lol:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Oct 2018 12:33

genome Wait, are we saying people would rather stay at Lincoln than come to an established 2nd tier club?

Yes football expert. One club is on the rise and the other has a very good chance of being relegated into oblivion.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Oct 2018 12:35

Old Man Andrews
genome Wait, are we saying people would rather stay at Lincoln than come to an established 2nd tier club?

Yes football expert. One club is on the rise and the other has a very good chance of being relegated into oblivion.

I think you need to go and have a lie down.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Oct 2018 12:38

genome
Old Man Andrews

I think you need to go and have a lie down.

You don't think we have a good chance of being relegated? You don't think Lincoln are on the rise? Wow.

130 posts