RUMOUR - Steve Bruce

Old Man Andrews

Re: RUMOUR - Steve Bruce

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Nov 2018 13:05

No I have always hated him, I have been consistent.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 01 Nov 2018 13:26

leon
John Smith
Reading4eva My home town is Reading and where I live is Bournemouth. Hence the reason I support both clubs. Kids support Bournemouth. Remember when I moved down here Reading were Premier League and Bournemouth were on 17 points. Strangely then no one said a hoot or made comments of little old Bournemouth and comments of Tinpot. I expected they would be a non league side that season.

What's happened since has been a welcome surprise. I still hope both clubs can be in the top flight together at some point

You're a joke. Get off this site.

Well quite. I've lived near Fulham for 18 years. Would I take my kids to see that shit? Of course not.

Maybe 4eva is just a floating football follower which is fine but having lived down this way for 47 years I am still tribal like leon and continue to make what is at times a trek up to the Mad Stad for every home game and a diminishing number of away games.
Bournemouth have always been one of the "enemies" along with Aldershot, Swindon and Oxford, having often played at the same level as us. so, childish and too tribal it may be but I could never switch allegiance to AFC Bournemouth even if I respect how well they (with the exceptional Russian money backing) have done to get where they are.

Incidentally regarding investment it is nearly always about getting the timing right.
When we got up to the top level it coincided with the Mad Man no longer prepared to fund the "project" as he had in getting us there despite the knowledge that TV money was about to really take off.
At Bournemouth the Russian put his hands deeply into his pockets (too deeply one year leading to a 9 million pounds fine under FFP) not only at Championship level but also as soon as they reached the Premier League.
He has continued to do so (50 million in the last window) and is reaping the rewards as the club are on the pitch by competing in the transfer market at a level around upper mid table.
The media are wrong in referring to the club as little Bournemouth-their spending says otherwise and far exceeds the likes of Burnley, Palace, Newcastle, Brighton etc.

I still hold out hopes that the positions of the 2 clubs will be reversed without much encouragement in recent years apart from the one season.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Nov 2018 14:30

Victor, good points.

I'd be ok with Steve Bruce. If nothing else, it might be a sign the owners are willing to invest more money, because I'm not sure he'd come here otherwise. Not sure it would be a Wolves/Bournemouth-type model, but bigger money, and esp so if we made it in to PL.
Yes, Bruce has been backed with money before, but you still have to spend it well. Maybe he'd improve our track record in this regard, since he knows the Champ well, the type of players required, etc. Pretty sure he'd want, and have, a big say in transfers, which would all be agreed before he signed on here.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Nov 2018 14:56

Victor Meldrew
leon
John Smith You're a joke. Get off this site.

Well quite. I've lived near Fulham for 18 years. Would I take my kids to see that shit? Of course not.

Maybe 4eva is just a floating football follower which is fine but having lived down this way for 47 years I am still tribal like leon and continue to make what is at times a trek up to the Mad Stad for every home game and a diminishing number of away games.
Bournemouth have always been one of the "enemies" along with Aldershot, Swindon and Oxford, having often played at the same level as us. so, childish and too tribal it may be but I could never switch allegiance to AFC Bournemouth even if I respect how well they (with the exceptional Russian money backing) have done to get where they are.

In national fans survey a few years ago the Bournemouth fans most hated club was Reading. This would be like moving to Brighton and going to the AMEX.

Anyway - back to Steve Bruce. Someone here mentioned that Bruce does do sports science. I have no idea if this is true, however one thing that still looks substandard is our fitness and our ability to avoid and then manage injuries. Which would make me a bit concerned.

under the tin

by under the tin » 02 Nov 2018 08:03

leon
In national fans survey a few years ago the Bournemouth fans most hated club was Reading. This would be like moving to Brighton and going to the AMEX.

The funny thing about that, though, is most Royals fans I have known and met over the last 40 odd years are almost completely ambivalent towards Bournemouth. It ranks alongside our bitter rivalry with Torquay United :| .
It (kind of) mirrors the relationship between us and that shower up the A4074. Ask their fans who they dislike the most, and they don't talk about us, but that red lot in Wiltshire.

This Reading boy now lives about halfway between Portsmouth and Southampton. Unless the Royals are playing there, wild friggin horses wouldn't drag me into St. Mary's. TBH, I have a few Pompey supporting mates, they play in blue, and they have an "old school" ground. I'd be more inclined to go there, but haven't bothered yet in the 3-4 years I've been down here.
Been to watch Gosport Borough, though. Vs. Hungerford Town. Reading till I die.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Nov 2018 09:18

under the tin
leon

The funny thing about that, though, is most Royals fans I have known and met over the last 40 odd years are almost completely ambivalent towards Bournemouth. It ranks alongside our bitter rivalry with Torquay United :| .
It (kind of) mirrors the relationship between us and that shower up the A4074. Ask their fans who they dislike the most, and they don't talk about us, but that red lot in Wiltshire.

This Reading boy now lives about halfway between Portsmouth and Southampton. Unless the Royals are playing there, wild friggin horses wouldn't drag me into St. Mary's. TBH, I have a few Pompey supporting mates, they play in blue, and they have an "old school" ground. I'd be more inclined to go there, but haven't bothered yet in the 3-4 years I've been down here.

Some see a bitter rivalry with Torquay :?

Anyone able to explain who, what, why, when etc?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Nov 2018 10:11

We f**king hate Accrington Stanley.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 02 Nov 2018 17:14

under the tin
leon

You might find it strange but the club I hate with an absolute bloody passion is Wolves. Horrible fans, horrible club, FSB connection. Had so much joy beating them at Elm Park on a Tuesday night. Was in absolute pain that we lost those playoff semi finals against them in 2004, probably more painful than the Swansea Playoff Final. I hope they some how capitulate but I doubt it's going to happen. Slightly envious of their manager,

Swindon are the other club. But something in me wants them to do well only so we can get the chance to beat them again and watch them squirm as they are relegated.

Oxford are insignificant.

Southampton might be AFCB's rivalry but whilst it might be funny to watch them fail it's one of those that you'd miss if they weren't there

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 02 Nov 2018 22:05

leon
Victor Meldrew
leon

Anyway - back to Steve Bruce. Someone here mentioned that Bruce does do sports science. I have no idea if this is true, however one thing that still looks substandard is our fitness and our ability to avoid and then manage injuries. Which would make me a bit concerned.

Saddam Hussein would struggle to injure as many players as our coaches, elf and safety need to get down to hogwood and see whats going on down there

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 03 Nov 2018 10:18

Agreed with all old timers, only Reading for me.

So indifferent about AFCB that I actually want them to do well in the Premiership. Unlike Brighton, whose fans have a far higher image of themselves. Cannot wait for the pendulum to swing back for them.

Aldershot the true rivals, but even then, I’d like them to get back into the League.

Don’t like Oxford.

Brentford should be our true mutual rivals, based on distance and history of being in the same division, but I sort of want them to do well as well.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 Nov 2018 10:59

LUX Agreed with all old timers, only Reading for me.

So indifferent about AFCB that I actually want them to do well in the Premiership. Unlike Brighton, whose fans have a far higher image of themselves. Cannot wait for the pendulum to swing back for them.

Aldershot the true rivals, but even then, I’d like them to get back into the League.

Don’t like Oxford.

Brentford should be our true mutual rivals, based on distance and history of being in the same division, but I sort of want them to do well as well.

I live near the Amex and you're so right re Brighton; funny now they are saying the same stuff about Bournemouth, tinpot, no fans etc that they were saying about us - they largely see us as an irrelevance now.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Nov 2018 14:29

Reading4eva
under the tin
leon

You might find it strange but the club I hate with an absolute bloody passion is Wolves. Horrible fans, horrible club, FSB connection. Had so much joy beating them at Elm Park on a Tuesday night. Was in absolute pain that we lost those playoff semi finals against them in 2004, probably more painful than the Swansea Playoff Final. I hope they some how capitulate but I doubt it's going to happen. Slightly envious of their manager,

Swindon are the other club. But something in me wants them to do well only so we can get the chance to beat them again and watch them squirm as they are relegated.

Southampton might be AFCB's rivalry but whilst it might be funny to watch them fail it's one of those that you'd miss if they weren't there

How old were you at that game?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Nov 2018 17:08

leon
Reading4eva
under the tin

The game my mind immediately goes to v Wolves at Elm Park would be 18th Dec. which was a Sunday. Being 3, I didn't go (unacceptable, right?), but have since watched the game multiple times on YouTube and it seems like one of the best games in recent memory - my uncle always goes on about that game!

Anyway, I digress. I am also a one club man and couldn't imagine supporting another club. Bristol City are one of the teams I can't stand losing to (there are a few) but I don't see us as having a major rivalry anymore, the absence of Swindon and Oxford from the same league for so long has rendered it all a bit moot.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Nov 2018 17:58

Hendo
leon
Reading4eva

The game my mind immediately goes to v Wolves at Elm Park would be 18th Dec. which was a Sunday. Being 3, I didn't go (unacceptable, right?), but have since watched the game multiple times on YouTube and it seems like one of the best games in recent memory - my uncle always goes on about that game!

Anyway, I digress. I am also a one club man and couldn't imagine supporting another club. Bristol City are one of the teams I can't stand losing to (there are a few) but I don't see us as having a major rivalry anymore, the absence of Swindon and Oxford from the same league for so long has rendered it all a bit moot.

I missed that game as well. I was on the lash in Southport somewhat bizarrely.