January Outs

353 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: January Outs

by Wycombe Royal » 02 Jan 2019 14:11

pwb I Reckon McShane will probably be the first one out the door if not already gone, as he didn't hang around for the final whistle yesterday, as he was sat in his car being held up by the stewards when i left :o and he is the club captain, say it all.

Meyler had left the stadium way before the barriers came down as we saw him driving out of the car park (yes I left before then end :oops: ). I was surprised as I would have thought even non-playing players would hang around.

Stjimmy

by Stjimmy » 02 Jan 2019 15:28

For me it would have to be:
At least one Keeper
McShane
Meyler
Edwards
Gunter
Blackett
McCleary
Clement
Aluko

Assuming some reasonably high earners in there and maybe a few quid in transfer fees.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 02 Jan 2019 16:19

Quite honestly a "January Who Deserves to Stay" list would probably be a lot shorter !

Hopeful

by Hopeful » 02 Jan 2019 17:01

strap Quite honestly a "January Who Deserves to Stay" list would probably be a lot shorter !

Rinomhota
Yiadom
Swift (when played as a CAM behind striker)
Moore
Harriott
Bacuna
Bod
Kelly

and now i'm struggling..

(Edit: just re-read as "deserves to stay", so actually, maybe more like:

Rinomhota
Yiadom
Harriott
Last edited by Hopeful on 02 Jan 2019 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jan 2019 17:01

pwb I Reckon McShane will probably be the first one out the door if not already gone, as he didn't hang around for the final whistle yesterday, as he was sat in his car being held up by the stewards when i left :o and he is the club captain, say it all.

He might be club captain but I expect he isn't too impressed if the club are trying to sell him at the earliest opportunity and when a lot of the fans are saying they never want to see him in a Reading shirt again.

Stjimmy

by Stjimmy » 03 Jan 2019 08:05

McShane
Blackett
Gunter
Meyler
Edwards
McNulty
McCleary
Aluko

+ 2 of the Goal Keepers

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2019 09:19

I'm starting to come round to the view that now would be a good time to sell Moore.

Not been particularly impressed with him this season, or especially last season tbh. He isn't a great fit with either O'Shea or Ilori. Him and Blackett possibly, but then needs the latter to stop getting sent off by being braindead, or not being needed at LB

If we could still get some value, cash in and look to get a big lump to partner Ilori

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jan 2019 09:55

Hound I'm starting to come round to the view that now would be a good time to sell Moore.

Not been particularly impressed with him this season, or especially last season tbh. He isn't a great fit with either O'Shea or Ilori. Him and Blackett possibly, but then needs the latter to stop getting sent off by being braindead, or not being needed at LB

If we could still get some value, cash in and look to get a big lump to partner Ilori

The summer was the right time to sell Moore and one of the biggest mistakes the club made then was not doing so. We are now stuck in a cycle of diminishing returns..

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 03 Jan 2019 10:51

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2019 11:09

Elm Park Kid A large number will be leaving:

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2019/j ... m-players/

good. Interesting to see it make the official....

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2019 11:57

sounds like Pelle C has joined Stam at Zwolle

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Jan 2019 12:46

No real loss, although strange he couldn't get anywhere near the squad considering how bad we've been. Wonder if there was an additional fee to be paid to Ajax if he hit 30 games.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Jan 2019 12:51

He’s right in principle but howeasy he will find it to actually move players out is a whole different question. Players are unlikely to accept cuts in wages, the only clubs likely to take players are going to be in lower divisions. We’ll have to heavily subsidise wages which will limit scope for bringing any new faces in.
We’ve already used most u23 players who are realistic candidates for first team opportunities (one of the keepers and Novacovic are the only ones I think might be up to it)
It is good to see a manager prepared to at least face up to difficult questions

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 03 Jan 2019 13:11

Nameless He’s right in principle but howeasy he will find it to actually move players out is a whole different question. Players are unlikely to accept cuts in wages, the only clubs likely to take players are going to be in lower divisions. We’ll have to heavily subsidise wages which will limit scope for bringing any new faces in.
We’ve already used most u23 players who are realistic candidates for first team opportunities (one of the keepers and Novacovic are the only ones I think might be up to it)

unless we are prepared to pay 'x' % of their wages after they've left, which can be common practice for clubs looking to move players on

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 03 Jan 2019 13:15

More likely we'll sell Moore, Yiadom, Rinomotha and Loader for undisclosed fees and use the money to bring in Glen Johnson on a 5 year, £50k a week package. . . . .

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Jan 2019 13:15

WoodleyRoyal
Nameless He’s right in principle but howeasy he will find it to actually move players out is a whole different question. Players are unlikely to accept cuts in wages, the only clubs likely to take players are going to be in lower divisions. We’ll have to heavily subsidise wages which will limit scope for bringing any new faces in.

unless we are prepared to pay 'x' % of their wages after they've left, which can be common practice for clubs looking to move players on

That would be the ‘heavily subsidising wages’ I referred to. It’s less than ideal, does slim down the squad in the short term but only pushes the problem out to the summer. If we need to rebuild we can’t be funding a dozen players at other clubs. Danger is we pack the squad with young, inexperienced u23 players just because they are cheap.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2019 14:24

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 03 Jan 2019 14:47

Great, let's get those floodgates open!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jan 2019 14:49

Sims apparently heading back to Southampton.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 03 Jan 2019 15:02

Stranded Sims apparently heading back to Southampton.

Probably started packing as soon as Callum Harriott scored against Swansea.

353 posts