Tiago llori

215 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Tiago llori

by Victor Meldrew » 14 Jan 2019 11:09

Theroyalbox Am I the only one who thinks illori is a decent CB and worth more than £3 million...?

One week he looks worth £6 million, the next £1.
Whether a player can become more consistent is the issue.
It's not as if he is inexperienced so that reason doesn't work.
Is he in the wrong league?-Maybe.

We will see over the next 2 weeks whether the club feels strongly enough about his ability to keep him.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Jan 2019 11:57

Theroyalbox Am I the only one who thinks illori is a decent CB and worth more than £3 million...?

In which league? His 'worth' might be tied to that. As Victor says, may be in the wrong league. The Champ isn't for everyone. He doesn't fit the profile of Champ CB's. He suits Gomes' style, but think he - and we - would be better if he played next to a tower. If Gomes could 'arrange' that, one way or another, I'd be ok with Ilori (and if he cut down his mistakes).
(Vic, have you heard of any interest for Moore this window, like there was last?)
Last edited by Denver Royal on 14 Jan 2019 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 14 Jan 2019 12:02

Old Man Andrews
Hound

I think he is potentially worth more than 3m. too many mistakes recently have certainly hit his value. He has tons of ability if he could concentrate better and make better decisions at times.

I'd personally like him to stay, but can understand why we'd cash in

He'd look pretty much international class in a slower league I feel. In Spain or Portugal he'd get a lot more time on the ball and would make far less mistakes because he'd hardly ever be pressed. I don't think the Championship suits his game at all.

This.
Do think he shapes up wrong when balls get flown in at the box, he also loses concentration on his positioning a lil too often too. Should be easy to coach him out of those though.
Think a settled back 5 would help his game too.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 14 Jan 2019 12:09

Coppells Lost Coat Do think he shapes up wrong when balls get flown in at the box, he also loses concentration on his positioning a lil too often too. Should be easy to coach him out of those though.

If he was 18 I'd agree with you. But he's 25, it should already have been sorted by now. I think he's a decent player but this may well be his level.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2019 21:05

Hound

I think he is potentially worth more than 3m. too many mistakes recently have certainly hit his value. He has tons of ability if he could concentrate better and make better decisions at times.

I'd personally like him to stay, but can understand why we'd cash in

Same here.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Jan 2019 21:31

Victor Meldrew

We will see over the next 2 weeks whether the club feels strongly enough about his ability to keep him.

That’s a good summary. He is a high risk player who makes too many mistakes for my liking, His passing out of defence is risky, When it comes off it looks good but too often he messes up.
I’m happy to see him go. If he stays he must become more consistent.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Jan 2019 07:56

Zip
Victor Meldrew

That’s a good summary. He is a high risk player who makes too many mistakes for my liking, His passing out of defence is risky, When it comes off it looks good but too often he messes up.
I’m happy to see him go. If he stays he must become more consistent.

That could easily be describing David Luiz. Not that I'm saying Ilori is as good as Luiz. Or that it's incorrect. I still like Ilori a lot. Reckon he would do a job as a Libero in a back 3 (A modern style one obviously) as he has all the attributes to be a deep lying play maker.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jan 2019 09:21

Don't think he often gives the ball away. The mistakes are generally poor marking/concentration rather than risky passes

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Jan 2019 09:42

Hound Don't think he often gives the ball away. The mistakes are generally poor marking/concentration rather than risky passes

I think his bad passes stick in your mind as when they're bad, they're awful.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Jan 2019 09:45

Apparently there are conflicting reports in the Portuguese press on this one now.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-trying-d ... and-still/

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Jan 2019 09:56

So basically, he'll only be 4th choice so Sporting don't want to pay more than €2.2m and want to pay in installments, we want €3m up front, Gomes doesn't want to sell and Ilori isn't entirely sold on the move either.

I can see this happening for about €1.5m in the summer if we go down.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Jan 2019 10:09

I expect that Ilori is very much central to Gomes plans. If he is happy enough to stay he will, if he really wants to go to SL, then he probably will go there.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 16 Jan 2019 10:37

6ft Kerplunk
Coppells Lost Coat Do think he shapes up wrong when balls get flown in at the box, he also loses concentration on his positioning a lil too often too. Should be easy to coach him out of those though.

If he was 18 I'd agree with you. But he's 25, it should already have been sorted by now. I think he's a decent player but this may well be his level.

He might be 25, but he wasted a large part of his career at Liverpool. Reading are the first club to give him a proper run and I think he's growing and learning all the time. Would certainly keep hold of him, unless the money was too good.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Jan 2019 11:18

Hound I expect that Ilori is very much central to Gomes plans. If he is happy enough to stay he will, if he really wants to go to SL, then he probably will go there.

I think that's the key. At this stage of his career, he'll want regular starts, not the occasional 20 minutes off the bench. I think he'll stay and see where we are in the summer.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Jan 2019 13:34

Rumblings that this is now a done deal and Ilori will go to Sporting Lisbon but not until Reading have a replacement.

Therefore presume Reading will be looking for a pacey ball playing centre half from somewhere.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Jan 2019 16:10

Sutekh Rumblings that this is now a done deal and Ilori will go to Sporting Lisbon but not until Reading have a replacement.

Therefore presume Reading will be looking for a pacey ball playing centre half from somewhere.

Or play Rinomhota there :roll:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Jan 2019 17:27

Sutekh Rumblings that this is now a done deal and Ilori will go to Sporting Lisbon but not until Reading have a replacement.

And hopefully one that isn't a complete lackadaisical liability.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 21 Jan 2019 09:27

We've got John O'Shea and Paul McShane though

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Jan 2019 09:28

Ah so thats why he played like he couldn't give one single oxf*rd on Saturday.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 21 Jan 2019 09:47

Old Man Andrews

Ah so thats why he played like he couldn't give one single oxf*rd on Saturday.

He was playing like it was a knock about in the park against the year below.

215 posts