spaculation - joe hart

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: spaculation - joe hart

by Denver Royal » 09 Jan 2019 21:18

From Despair To Where? I don't think the issue is whether Hart would be an upgrade (clearly he would be) but more that we have more pressing areas of the team to strengthen.

I hear you. I actually wasn't one of those that identified GK as a need. But since some did, and Harte's name came up in a thread, I said I'd be ok with it (even tho I also said, I doubt it will happen). Given where we're at, if a position can be improved then it should be, generally speaking. Also, not sure to what extent that signing Harte on a short term loan would preclude us from then still improving other positions, too. You can't always find players/get deals done in order of your needs. If an opportunity arises, maybe you take it, no matter where it was on your list of things to get done (or even if it was never on your original list at all). And this assumes, we are right in knowing what those needs are in here, and that it jives with the club hierarchy's view of our needs. And, it's only Jan 9th.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 09 Jan 2019 22:14

Hart is actually excellent with his feet, he’s just not Ederson...

At the beginning of the Season, his career was in free fall, but Burnley seem to have resurrected him. By all accounts, a real team player.

Big yes from me, but won’t happen.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Jan 2019 22:32

Denver Royal
From Despair To Where? I don't think the issue is whether Hart would be an upgrade (clearly he would be) but more that we have more pressing areas of the team to strengthen.

I hear you. I actually wasn't one of those that identified GK as a need. But since some did, and Harte's name came up in a thread, I said I'd be ok with it (even tho I also said, I doubt it will happen). Given where we're at, if a position can be improved then it should be, generally speaking. Also, not sure to what extent that signing Harte on a short term loan would preclude us from then still improving other positions, too. You can't always find players/get deals done in order of your needs. If an opportunity arises, maybe you take it, no matter where it was on your list of things to get done (or even if it was never on your original list at all). And this assumes, we are right in knowing what those needs are in here, and that it jives with the club hierarchy's view of our needs. And, it's only Jan 9th.

I agree with you on the whole but I don't agree with the "when the oportunity arises" policy. That's what's left us with a lob sided squad with inadequate fullback cover for the past 4 years. I'd much rather identify the needs, address them first and then if the opportunity arises....

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 10 Jan 2019 00:07

From Despair To Where? I agree with you on the whole but I don't agree with the "when the oportunity arises" policy. That's what's left us with a lob sided squad with inadequate fullback cover for the past 4 years. I'd much rather identify the needs, address them first and then if the opportunity arises....

Yep, agree, that’s my preference, too. But as you say, it doesn’t always happen that way, and reckon there are some valid reasons why.

Anyway, I imagine we’ll be giving our overall Jan window grades starting Feb 1st (if not before:)). And of course, the entire returns of it in reality won’t be fully known until some time after that. In the mean time, I’m somewhat encouraged that we’ve at least been active in the first week of it.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Jan 2019 00:16

Denver Royal
Old Man Andrews
Denver Royal Right, but right now, if we're unable to find and sign such a keeper at this time, then Hart on loan would still upgrade the position and may help keep us up, imo, and we could then address getting a long term ball-playing keeper later.

On his wages though? Is Jaakkola that bad of a shot stopper? That's what Hart is known for. If we are going to get a new keeper we may as well go for one that fits the style the manager is trying to play.

Andrews, sure, if you don't think Joe Hart is an upgrade over Jak (or Walker), then obviously it would be a non-starter for you. Wages, yeah, I imagine that might be an issue. But hey, I don't get to balance the books, or even have much knowledge of them :wink: But yes, they would have to sort all that out and it would need to be a consideration, I'm sure.
Do you have any specific keepers in mind that you like out there at this point?

I would like us to get Joel Pereira on loan.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2019 12:39

Denver Royal

Not sure Ian coming out of retirement will help us at GK. :wink: