Is Kelly off?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Is Kelly off?

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2019 21:34

Hound But he doesn’t do that...

Anyways...

Yeah, I know you disagree. I think you're wrong. You think I'm wrong. Fin.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 29 Jan 2019 21:41

FWIW my post literally contained a link to an article showing he does do exactly that...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2019 21:42

You think he directs play from a deep lying playmaker role? Really?

But yes otherwise, fin :)

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 30 Jan 2019 10:32

Brain Traysers
Hound Not to dig the boot in, but I just never really 'got' him as a player. I don't really know what he does, in terms of what would be his strong characteristics

He's an ok all round midfielder - can tackle a bit, on his day a reasonable work rate. Obviously a good shot on occasions, but not more than once or twice a season.

But I can't really remember him creating any assists, or many defence splitting passes. He isn't quick, not only is he obviously short, but he is also pretty weak. Couple of suggestions of questionable attitude

Just not for me really - but good luck to him elsewhere

I think this is the crux of the problem - we (fans of English football) don't really have an appreciation for this sort of player. Jorginho is a recent example at Chelsea - he is doing fine but fans are miffed by his lack of goals/assists, and he doesn't offer the defensive protection that you might expect from a player sitting that deep. Youtube highlights of his rare forays forward with Napoli don't help this attitude. That isn't, and will never be his skillset, same with Kelly.

It's more of a deep play-making role that advances the ball/splits the lines so attacking players have it in a dangerous area, ultimately a goal is unlikely to come from his pass (i.e. no Kelly assist), but it was the 'killer' pass than led to the opportunity. This old blog post by EFLanalytics had him as the 10th best progressive passer in the league - pretty good for a team ranking very low for total chances created. As he is playing more risky passes (with a higher potential pay off) people are right to observe he loses possession more than a safe passer.

The current lazy media wording for this type of player is 'box to box', or 'number 6' but the former is simply not true, and the latter doesn't mean anything on its own. Sidwell was a box to box midfielder. The Italians understand it (hardly a surprise when you consider the sheer class of CMs in their national team over the years), and would call him a 'regista', literally translated as 'director' for the deep lying play-making role.

I think it will take a high profile Premier League success story before most fans really 'get' it, in the same way that 'the Makelele role' is still talked about.

Some good points here. It also puzzles me with regards to Chelsea how so many critics are obsessed with where Kante is currently playing when Jorginho is in the side. In the Leicester Title winning team Drinkwater to all intents and purposes played the same role. Kante was the motor who covered the spaces. Because Leicester were more direct that often meant he was deeper than he currently is at Chelsea where his primary function under Sarri's tactics is to use that incredible motor of his to win the ball back much higher up the pitch than at Leicester. Granted that means he finds himself a little isolated wider at times but that's simply how Chelsea (Sarri)operate.

Anyway back to Reading. The issue with Kelly has never been his pass accuracy as such, or indeed whatever "progressive passing" actually means, but that it takes him too long/too many touches to get the ball away. It just makes life so much easier for the opposition and until he develops the confidence and intent to deliver quicker he's always going to be an average player.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jan 2019 18:47

Still think that's at least partly down to the feedback loop of:
Little movement
Leads to lack of options
Leads to uncertainty and caution
Leads to delayed pass
Leads to no point moving because the pass won't come
Return to top.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jan 2019 09:27

JLow reckons Stam is in for him. Zero surprise there

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Jan 2019 10:41

Unsurprisingly Jaap Stam is apparently interested in taking Kelly on loan to Zwolle

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Jan 2019 11:12