SPECULATION - Martinez?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

SPECULATION - Martinez?

by Snowball » 01 Mar 2019 20:40

Can't see a ref to this anywhere here, but...

Martinez an option

The Sun says that the Gunners are considering Emiliano Martinez as a “cut-price No. 2 next season”.

With funds tight at the Emirates, Emery is weighing up whether to bring back the Argentine gloveman from his loan spell at Reading, to replace the retiring Petr Cech.

It had been expected that Arsenal would splash the cash in the summer in the search for an understudy to Bernd Leno, but as the newspaper notes, promoting 26-year-old Martinez “will allow them to spend their budget elsewhere”.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Martinez?

by Nameless » 01 Mar 2019 21:13

Slightly strange terminology in the article.
They wouldn’t Bring him back, he’d return at the end of his loan on May6th or whenever.
He’d said when he joined us he hoped he’d get a shot at the No2 spot and if he didn’t he’d probably move on. Looks like his performances for us have been noticed at Highbury.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 01 Mar 2019 21:33

Non story isn`t it? very unlikely he will be here next season whatever league we are in.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Mar 2019 15:14

windermereROYAL Non story isn`t it? very unlikely he will be here next season whatever league we are in.

Based on what I’ve seen so far he is an improvement on the 3 senior keepers we have so if Arsenal didn’t want him i’d Try and sign him permanently but I expect there’s more chance of staying up than that happening.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 02 Mar 2019 16:15

Great save from Emi just before half time. Would have been 1-1 with any of our other keepers in.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Mar 2019 18:10

Sutekh
windermereROYAL Non story isn`t it? very unlikely he will be here next season whatever league we are in.

Based on what I’ve seen so far he is an improvement on the 3 senior keepers we have so if Arsenal didn’t want him i’d Try and sign him permanently but I expect there’s more chance of staying up than that happening.

Think it’s widely recognised he’s a significant upgrade for us.
I’d agree the odds of signing him are slim, if Arsenal chose to let him go there will be Premiership sides interested.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Mar 2019 18:22

I like him a lot but I don’t think he is a Prem top 6 keeper, even as a back up

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Mar 2019 18:29

Snowball I like him a lot but I don’t think he is a Prem top 6 keeper, even as a back up

Lucky there are more than 6 Prem teams then !

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 02 Mar 2019 20:34

Right at the end as well. He's class. A few dodgy kicks but equally 1 brilliant one to McCleary which could easily have been a goal.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Mar 2019 09:39

He’s a class act. His distribution is generally good - that’s a number of times he has set up good chances with quick long kicks

Would be a great signing for anyone in the champ

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Mar 2019 09:44

Nameless
Snowball I like him a lot but I don’t think he is a Prem top 6 keeper, even as a back up

Lucky there are more than 6 Prem teams then !

But the OP is about him going back to be back-up at ARSENAL

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Mar 2019 09:02

Martinez is already on record as saying this loan spell was to get him game time as it was expected he would be #2 at Arsenal next year. The only caveat would be if they signed someone else. If money is tight there then that makes it more likely.

Is he a top 6 starter, probably not. Is he good enough to be the "cup keeper" and step up in the event of an injury, yes I would say he is.

Article is strangely worded though, they can't recall him now and at the end of the season it won't be a recall, just the end of the loan contract.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Mar 2019 09:09

Stranded Martinez is already on record as saying this loan spell was to get him game time as it was expected he would be #2 at Arsenal next year. The only caveat would be if they signed someone else. If money is tight there then that makes it more likely.

Is he a top 6 starter, probably not. Is he good enough to be the "cup keeper" and step up in the event of an injury, yes I would say he is.

Article is strangely worded though, they can't recall him now and at the end of the season it won't be a recall, just the end of the loan contract.

Its the Sun, pretty much what you'd expect. Try to hype something up to excite its readers.

One87One

by One87One » 06 Mar 2019 18:07

If we stay up then we’ll exercise the option to sign Oliveira and that will swallow the bulk of the budget.

Jose has been told to look at 4-5 academy grads to bring through, and Southwood is the likeliest number one next season if he takes his chance in pre-season.

AJ is free to leave, Mannone won’t play for us again, Martinez returns to Arsenal and is far too good for this level as well.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 06 Mar 2019 18:50

Southwood is being scouted by Hull according to the Mail.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 17 Mar 2019 19:51

Stranded Martinez is already on record as saying this loan spell was to get him game time as it was expected he would be #2 at Arsenal next year. The only caveat would be if they signed someone else. If money is tight there then that makes it more likely.

I believe Arsenal are sniffing around Nick Pope of Burnley as backup to their current Nr 1 (Leno?) for next season, making Martinez Nr 3 much as during most of his time at Arsenal. Having experienced a decent-ish run playing first team football with us, maybe he'd be keen to join permanently assuming Arsenal don't want a huge fee for him? Trouble is his Arsenal contract doesn't expire until 30/06/2022 so a fee is definitely going to be required..

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Mar 2019 08:42

strap

I believe Arsenal are sniffing around Nick Pope of Burnley as backup to their current Nr 1 (Leno?) for next season, making Martinez Nr 3 much as during most of his time at Arsenal. Having experienced a decent-ish run playing first team football with us, maybe he'd be keen to join permanently assuming Arsenal don't want a huge fee for him? Trouble is his Arsenal contract doesn't expire until 30/06/2022 so a fee is definitely going to be required..

Interesting. All depends on us staying up of course but would welcome him coming for a longer stay. Would suggest a season long loan would be most likely if Arsenal do sign Pope (or A.N.Other)

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Mar 2019 10:56

Stranded
strap

Interesting. All depends on us staying up of course but would welcome him coming for a longer stay. Would suggest a season long loan would be most likely if Arsenal do sign Pope (or A.N.Other)

+1.

A season long loan with a view to perm the season after might be the way to go.

The Pope story will be an interesting one to follow and if he does go to Arsenal, I would give us a good chance of signing him at some point.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Mar 2019 10:59

Hendo I would give us a good chance of signing him at some point.

I woudn't. He will go to Villa or another failed playoff side

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Mar 2019 11:13

John Smith
Hendo I would give us a good chance of signing him at some point.

I woudn't. He will go to Villa or another failed playoff side

Depends on the player. He has been warmly welcomed here, he like most of the loan players seem to have bought into what is going on and he doesn't have to move house for a loan move.

I would say, if we want him and he is available for a Championship loan, we would be in pole position. All if, buts and maybes though.